Betterself

I'm Confused about Non Dualism and Happiness

11 posts in this topic

According to Leo and most other teachers/people, your life purpose, what makes you thrive, should be something that creates happiness and a better world for other people. And that is the case for me as well, creating good and a better world is what gets me working.

Non Dualism however, as I understand it, states that the current consciousness that I'm experiencing right now is all that exists. Why would I create a better world and happiness for others if other consciousnesses don't exist and therefore cant perceive happiness? And why create a better world if the world only exist for me? Why create a better world if no one else has a consciousness to experience it, and if the world will no longer exist when I die and my consciousness apparently starts experiencing something different?

Am I misunderstanding something here? Thank you for all answers.

There are relative and absolute truths.

There is, relatively speaking, other people, and those people suffer unless they don't identify to their mind.

The goal is to remove this unnecessary suffering, that's what every legit Spiritual teacher does.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

5 minutes ago, WindInTheLeaf said:

@Shin how can we be sure suffering is unnecessary?

It is in the sense that you can live without it.

It isn't in the sense that for most people, it is precisely suffering that make them awaken.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

An understanding of nonduality is not nonduality, it’s a filter on duality, resulting in confusion.

An idea of infinity, or death, is not infinity, or, “death”.

Help people understand the self imposed nature of suffering, consciousness is not an identity in dualism, it’s all there is. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Good question to flag and to think about more.  I don't agree that there's 'relative Truth'.  There's only one Truth.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I'm inclined to say there is only consciousness, neither collective nor individual. Although have been playing around with the idea of materialism, and perhaps the degree to which consciousness is at least partially socially influenced,

I think if a person were fully non-dual they would be enlightened.

The collective unconscious is something that is present in society, an expression of it perverted would be something like the Borg out of Star Trek. The unconscious self being an expression of the empirical self. However, perhaps there is also a collective consciousness that could be simulated, instead of mirror neurons related to empathy, direct telepathy, either biologically or electronically implanted organ. So if someone feels pain, you feel it as well, same for joy happiness unhappiness etc. It would probably be limited to a few units however, rather than thousands in tenement blocks or borg cubes.

The Omar (Cyborgs, meaning conscious pilots) off the game Deus Ex Invisible War as an example, of a collective consciousness limited to small teams. I Liked the quote by Montaigne at the end.

Other "alerts" within a big mind exist and have their own dissociated (from infinity) perspective. Some level of suffering is necessary for survival.

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

Life Purpose - Ultimate Race Car, cool to have in life

Enlightenment / Non Duality - Death

As you can see, they are 2 very different things, seperate from one another.

Edited by universe

@Betterself From one perspective there just “IS”. All the interpretation and assigning meaning is just mind activity. So there isn’t a “better”.

If there is no absolute meaning, why would someone pursue anything? Well, because that’s what appears. 

Personal will only takes a person so far, there is something deeper