Shin

How would you teach someone ?

28 posts in this topic

Imagine you have someone that trust you entirely, and that you know for sure he/she has the potential and the will to go through the path.

Also imagine that this person has no conceptual framework for it, that his/her mind is totally blank to spirituality.

How would you teach that person from that position ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I’d say try to pinpoint where they are in spiral dynamics, then use linguistic symbols that can be understood by their particular stage

@Shin I would not introduce words like "Spirituality" or "Nonduality" or "The Path". They just become a virus of the ego.

I would start with the simple question of "what do you want?". If he/she doesn't want anything there is no need for teaching in the first place.

And if he/she wants something, then the teaching and style of teaching is relative to that wanting something.

Just now, Echoes said:

@Shin I would not introduce words like "Spirituality" or "Nonduality" or "The Path". They just become a virus of the ego.

I would start with the simple question of "what do you want?". If he/she doesn't want anything there is no need for teaching in the first place.

And if he/she wants something, then the teaching and style of teaching is relative to that wanting something.

What he said......

7 minutes ago, Echoes said:

Yeah I thought about that a lot, not talking at all about concept or even words, not letting the mind clinging to new beliefs, just techniques ?

God is love

And God in them

1 minute ago, Outer said:

If they'd like to know truth, in the largest sense of the word, absolute, then they should dissolve their attachments to beliefs and opinions and a whole lot of other things. To realize truth, which is the only thing that can or ever will exist, in the largest sense of the word, absolute, then they should do self-inquiry. The "I/me/my" is the belief or structure that holds one back from truth realization. The "I/me/my" thoughts and stories have to go, permanently. Truth realization is permanent as anything that is passing is just experiences and not truth realization. Self-inquiry should be investigated thoroughly, for instance a practice every now and then throughout the day combined with a sitting practice, sitting postures can be found in Three Pillars of Zen https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/KapleauPillars.pdf p. 315-320.

That is way too extreme for a newbee, not only he won't know what to do, but he would ask why.

The goal would be to trick him into having a non dual experience, then explaining the bare minimum of why self inquiry would benefit him.

God is love

And God in them

53 minutes ago, Shin said:

Imagine you have someone that trust you entirely, and that you know for sure he/she has the potential and the will to go through the path.

In this case trust implies psychological dependence. Dependence, a path, perhaps the greatest hinderance to freedom. 

53 minutes ago, Shin said:

Also imagine that this person has no conceptual framework for it, that his/her mind is totally blank to spirituality.

Such a person would not be dependent on you, or a path. 

An actual blank mind is not dependent on anything within the realm of time(thought). 

Hello by the way @Shin??

Edited by Faceless

if youre asking, you probably don't know too well how to do it, so in your place i'd give some videos or books to read. prefferably videos

Just now, Outer said:

I would never trick anyone like that. Tricks are Maya's game.

Not a trick in that sense, but open his capability to open his mind without bombarding it with concepts beforehand.

God is love

And God in them

Perhaps start closer to home. Discuss consciousness as it is in the case of self. Start with fear, pleasure, how thought moves in relation to psychological becoming and so on. 

Talk with, not at. As if you both do not know. Two self’s exploring the self/thought, consciousness as it can be directly seen now. 

Edited by Faceless

Teach them about openmindendness first!

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

4 minutes ago, cirkussmile said:

Depends on the person :) 

Or just explore silence togheter. No more no less

Can that which is not silent explore silence? :)

@Shin If you are enlightened begin by embodying Sat, Cit, Ananda (or whichever facet is accessible to you). There is a saying that "association with the wise rubs off on people." Simply by being in your presence the people will begin to emulate you, and in doing so realize the Self. That is how a real guru teaches. The words don't carry the truth anyways, actions speak louder. 

There is a voice that doesn't use words. Listen! - Rumi

3 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Can that which is not silent explore silence? :)

Hopefully they will see that there’s something other than me :) 

Don’t you think is helpful to first differentiate oneself from thoughts if you are new to this? 

5 minutes ago, cirkussmile said:

Don’t you think is helpful to first differentiate oneself from thoughts if you are new to this? 

I don’t, no. To me that is going beyond where one has yet begun. To start off out of the gate in the illusion of psychological time. 

Edited by Faceless

The best way to teach someone is to help them do self-observation for themselves.  And then talk to them about it, but don't push any theory on them.  Let them tell you what they see.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

From experience, I can say, the path to awakening cannot be given to another human being. Simply there is no method. 

For everything else, there are infinite ways. 

The techniques on the religious books, art, etc. They are built only to create initiates on the right side of the matter. They can be understood entirely only after insanity and the return to a new reality. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.