tsuki

Mind and body

12 posts in this topic

Here's something that I realized today:

The body is the child. The mind is the adult.

Your job as a mind is to take care of the body by observing its desperate fits of pain, anger and sadness.
The body doesn't know any better. It just screams out of helplessness. Like a newborn.
Be gentle with it. Don't try to talk it out of its fits. It won't listen. It can't.
As you are talking to it, you are the only one that understands the talking and all what you are doing is distracting yourself away from the screams of your baby.

Just being near it, watching it, is enough to calm it down.
Acknowledge its suffering. Understand the why.
When it's calm - make sure to take care of whatever upset it.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@tsuki Wrong. The body doesn’t have any problems. It doesn’t care whatever happens to it. The mind is the one with the problems. The mind is the one which projects all pain to the body. 

For example, once a man had felt pain in his chest. He was feeling that pain for a few weeks, but he didn’t really mind it that much. The pain wasn’t that intense. He went to the doctor to find out how to cure the pain. At that point he was calm and easy-going, because the pain didn’t bother him that much. The doctor looked at a sample of his blood and came back to the room with a grim face. He told the man that he had cancer, and was a very serious condition. All of a sudden, this calm man became everything from frantic to pain-striken. He suffered from intense pain, intense fear and intense hurt. All because his mind became frantic over the fact that he would die. The mind is the one that feels pain, never the body, though it may seem that way to you.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Rigid rules and pre-fabricated notions don't really work as you go deep into life. Only Awareness or choice less observation becomes the key and any necessary course of action follows from there.

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@How to be wise That's a pretty story. It's irrelevant to my post though.
I'm describing the relationship between non-discursive feelings and thoughts.
The fact that I called the center of the former 'body' and the center of the latter 'mind' is anecdotal.
If you prefer to call 'body' a dead hunk of senseless meat - it's your choice. I prefer not to.

7 minutes ago, Preetom said:

Rigid rules and pre-fabricated notions don't really work as you go deep into life. Only Awareness or choice less observation becomes the key and any necessary course of action follows from there.

@Preetom Sure. That's a lot of words to convey silence.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@tsuki let’s look at this another way. Say you were feeling pain in your hand, and just for a moment you were distracted by something very flashy, that you forgot about the pain in your hand? Where did the pain go in that moment? The fact is that pain is created by mind. Everything is mind. The whole world, your body, everything is mind. This is something you will be directly conscious of in an enlightenment experience. You don’t have to take it up as a belief.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I would say the mind is more like the screaming toddler on the plane kicking the seats.

The body is like the patient mother who sits back and puts up with all the abuse.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The 'body' is smarter than the 'mind'(I put those terms in quotes because they are relative & complementary).  The body is a reflection of all our actions-thoughts, feelings, nutrition, toxins, lineage,etc.  It's always 100% truthful in its feedback.  On the other hand, the mind is often influenced by previous experiences (individually & collectively) and filters preception thru that lens.   We are made in the image of God-literally a hologram of the universe.  The body is a temple for the mind that we are gifted from the mattix of mother Earth.  It is this Terra Cotta, this mud, that is infused with energy (the spirit of God), that we get to play with for a short while.

15 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

Consciousness is the mother.

mhhh conciousness is empty in that it is awareness, the heart is the mother. the will is the child and can sit anywhere where is craving (also in the heart mother/child unity or craving). the mind is father and mother in awareness. maybe the father is the world model, the plan.

Edited by now is forever
didn’t they say the wish is the father of thought

@How to be wise @Leo Gura
The lines are drawn with a stick in the sand.

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I would say the mind is more like the screaming toddler on the plane kicking the seats.

The body is like the patient mother who sits back and puts up with all the abuse.

@Leo Gura I guess it's the difference in identification, but I don't think that it invalidates what I'm trying to convey here.
In a parental relationship, the child has every bit as much to say as the adult, even if the adult denies it and the child is unaware of it.
It does not matter which is the child and which is the adult. What matters is: are they both aware that they always work in communion?
They are in harmony, even if they fight to establish the 'correct' course of action.
Even if one scolds the other and the other is silently disobedient in sneaky ways.

It is strange how peaceful a (sometimes brutal) fight can be when done in a mindful way.

12 hours ago, How to be wise said:

let’s look at this another way. [...]
This is something you will be directly conscious of in an enlightenment experience. You don’t have to take it up as a belief.

@How to be wise Your identification as an enlightened teacher distracts you from the meaning that I'm trying to convey.
I can see in what sense you are right and why it contradicts what I'm writing. 
Can you see my point of view in a way that does not make me a child/student/ignorant in your eyes?

7 hours ago, cirkussmile said:

I have really no idea but whatever it is, it helps me if stay with it and love it

@cirkussmile ?

32 minutes ago, DrJava said:

The 'body' is smarter than the 'mind'(I put those terms in quotes because they are relative & complementary).  The body is a reflection of all our actions-thoughts, feelings, nutrition, toxins, lineage,etc.  It's always 100% truthful in its feedback.  On the other hand, the mind is often influenced by previous experiences (individually & collectively) and filters preception thru that lens.

@DrJava I wouldn't say that one is any 'smarter' than the other. They talk in different, but complementary languages.
The body influences thoughts, and thoughts influence the body. It is not really that important whether you call it a mindbody, or a bodymind.
It's more like bmoidnyd.

The body knows everything (is the whole fabric of the universe in miniature), the mind is limited (is only a conception of the body and surroundings). 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I don’t see the value of these concepts. How can a mind be a parent in any sense? Unless you are saying that the mind gave birth to the idea of the body?