Lelouch

SD Stage Yellow Movie Recommendations

39 posts in this topic

Hello,

Does anyone know of a movie that is reminiscent of stage yellow from Spiral Dynamics? 

Thank you in advance.

edit:

I just remembered two movies that are potentially yellow in case someone is interested:

Primer - is of note for its extremely low budget, experimental plot structure, philosophical implications, and complex technical dialogue, which Carruth, a college graduate with a degree in mathematics and a former engineer, chose not to simplify for the sake of the audience.

Pi - The title refers to the mathematical constant pi. The film is notable for its covering of an array of themes including religion, mysticism and the relationship of the universe to mathematics. 

Warning! The movies might not be enjoyable if you don't understand some mathematical concepts or other complex topics.

Edited by Lelouch

@Toby I already saw it. Any other ideas? And thanks for the suggestion maybe others will see it!

Edited by Lelouch

Less than 1% of people are at stage yellow. That's a very small target audience. And there are very few yellow-level movie writers, producers and directors. However, I am seeing more and more green-level movies and TV series each year.

I don't know where to put it, yet the series Westworld seems a fairly high level. It raises concepts more advanced than rational thinking (orange) and empathy/intuition (green). At times, the series pulled me outside of the maze of my conditioned mind. I was really surprised. And they did it in a unique way - a very different approach than any spiritual teacher I've watched.

Yet, I suppose this means they touched upon Turquoise, rather than yellow. . . 

Hmmm, perhaps the documentary Samsara for yellow?

@Serotoninluv Already seen Samsara, wonderful movie! Interesting you mention Westworld, I think I will give it a go. Can you perhaps share what made you go out of your conditioning while watching Westworld? 

Edited by Lelouch

Westworld is probably Green.

Deconstruction of "consensus reality" movies are pretty Green, i.e. The Matrix, etc.

There may be a spiritual subtext, but the main thrust is that Things Are Not As We Wuz Told (tm).

In other words, anti-grand narrative.

Yellow would have to be integral.  I don't think there's a mass audience for it yet or that would grasp it.

I can't think of any examples, really.  Maybe there's something I haven't seen.

Edited by Haumea2018

@Haumea2018 I think you are very correct. Suddenly I am remembering a few yellow movies, Pi and Primer. Definitely not for everyone since the movies bring up some complex topics. In Pi, they combine math and mysticism. Primer is also complex and requires for you to literally study the movie to understand it.

Primer - is of note for its extremely low budget, experimental plot structure, philosophical implications, and complex technical dialogue, which Carruth, a college graduate with a degree in mathematics and a former engineer, chose not to simplify for the sake of the audience.

Pi - The title refers to the mathematical constant pi. The film is notable for its covering of an array of themes including religion, mysticism and the relationship of the universe to mathematics. 

What do you guys think, am I exaggerating? I think Primer and Pi will be greatly enjoyed by people interested in the yellow stage as a concept.

Edited by Lelouch

@Toby I think it embodies a lot of the values presented by Leo, that's it. I am not saying it is entirely yellow but it does have a yellow flavour, in the same sense Quantum Mechanics has a yellow flavour inner that it combines science and deep metaphysical concepts. Combining math and mysticism seems like a yellow activity, it follows a lot of the values Leo presented like novelty, complexity, nuance and so on. For example, think of Leo's video about Godel's incompleteness theorem, which is basically combining logic and metaphysics, which is a very yellow thing to do. I think yellow has an easier time conceptualizing transrational ideas, due to a large amount of knowledge and powerful cognitive capacities. For example, a yellow person might be able to logically explain how telepathy is possible. I think yellow has a better understanding of what transrational entails than any other stage except turquoise, but yellow does not necessarily embody it since yellow is still very left-brained dominant. I think transrationalism fits turquoise better. Leo presented a very large list of yellow values and keywords, I think to attribute it entirely to transrationalism would be a myopic view of the concept, that is just my opinion on the matter :) I think the matter is a bit more nuanced than the literal definition of transrationalism. Compared to the Peaceful Warrior movie, Pi and Primer embody much more values and keywords that Leo presented from the theory of Spiral Dynamics that are associated with the yellow stage. These are my reasons for attributing the movie Pi and Primer to yellow, feel free to disagree. 

Edited by Lelouch

12 hours ago, Haumea2018 said:

Westworld is probably Green.

It’s hard for me to categorize. Sense8 is full-on green. Yet Westworld doesn’t have any core green values to me. There are no themes of empathy, multiculturalism, equality etc.

13 hours ago, Lelouch said:

@Serotoninluv Can you perhaps share what made you go out of your conditioning while watching Westworld? 

At times, the show went to spaces only psychedelics have taken me. Really trippy stuff like experiencing multiple realities simultaneously. At times, it was difficult to follow the plot.

Westworld is MUCH more sophisticated than The Matrix. Westworld has plenty of cheesy scenes I had to sit through, but it was well worth it. There were scenes that were genuis level - multilayed complex depth that pushed me out of my rational mind. The movie Inception also did to some extent, but I would put Westworld higher. And the interviews with the writers are so intriguing. I bet they’ve tripped a lot.

It’s like the writers went where they wanted to and didn’t give a shit whether the average viewer could hang with the complexity. Then the producers added in some fluff with gunslinging shoot-outs and sex to keep viewers engaged.

Yet Westworld doesn’t have any core green values to me. There are no themes of empathy, multiculturalism, equality etc.

Don't trust the grand social narrative is a Green value.  Empathy, multiculturalism, equality are all downstream from the essence of Green.  Green is postmodern. Orange is modern. Blue is traditional. 

Yellow is post-postmodern.

Westworld is MUCH more sophisticated than The Matrix.

The theme is the same though, no matter how sophisticated the symbolism, plot or character development is.  Westworld is a running show, so of course that would be the case.  The Matrix, even with sequels (which were bound to the original's template) is a movie.  

Yeah, I dig it too, but its sophistication doesn't make it Yellow.

I think Primer and Pi will be greatly enjoyed by people interested in the yellow stage as a concept.

I haven't seen Primer in ages, so don't hold me to this, but I think it's Green to the extreme.

Nihilistic, relativistic.

I'm trying to think about this, and Hollywood went heavily Green starting in the mid-1990s.  I remember a ton of Orange movies in the 1980s but not many recently.  I guess something like Precious would be Orange, but I'd have to watch it again (typical Cinderella stories in the modern context are Orange.)

Edited by Haumea2018

@Serotoninluv That is really cool! I did watch a few episodes of Westworld but didn't encounter these scenes you speak of, perhaps I should keep watching then.

On 9/19/2018 at 1:40 PM, Serotoninluv said:

Less than 1% of people are at stage yellow. That's a very small target audience. And there are very few yellow-level movie writers, producers and directors. However, I am seeing more and more green-level movies and TV series each year.

I don't know where to put it, yet the series Westworld seems a fairly high level. It raises concepts more advanced than rational thinking (orange) and empathy/intuition (green). At times, the series pulled me outside of the maze of my conditioned mind. I was really surprised. And they did it in a unique way - a very different approach than any spiritual teacher I've watched.

Yet, I suppose this means they touched upon Turquoise, rather than yellow. . . 

Hmmm, perhaps the documentary Samsara for yellow?

@Serotoninluv THANK YOU for Samsara movie recco.

The film Lucy is similar to the matrix, it shows a woman going from orange all the way to turquoise and above, but is kind of weird because of the action side of it but I liked it. 

Also highly recommend 'Her' also with Scarlett Johansson, man falls in love with his os but his os is constantly evolving and develops consciousness above the man, really liked this film actually, anyone seen it?

I thought 'Arrival' was pretty yellow in terms of the multiple number of perspectives that the humans had when approaching the aliens

Yellow movie...

That would be a one of Eben Pagan's video courses. :)

I haven't really seen any proper yellow movie, yet. Most of the cool movies like Samsara, Matrix, Blade Runner, The Salt of the Earth, etc., are only green.