Tistepiste

@enlightened people

62 posts in this topic

@archi Which mantra you choose doesn't matter, just a word that your mind doesn't know the symbolic meaning of, and preferably is 2 syllables long. For the most part, I was using "HIRIM". Here are some examples. 

Sit, close your eyes, start repeating that mantra in your head (not out loud), just thinking it up over an over again sub-verbally. Don't use a lot of effort, as time goes mantra may become distorted, quieter, longer etc. don't try to correct it, let it be. If you forget and get lost in the mind wandering or start falling asleep, just come back to the practice. Do it for 20+ minutes

It will either work reasonably fast and after 10h~ of practice, you will have some changes in how it is to be you outside of meditation, like an expanded sense of self, less self-referential thoughts etc. or it's not your meditation fit and then I would recommend switching to something different as it's unlikely to work.

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

@Outer Self-inquiry is very good but I wouldn't use it as a mantra. In self-inquiry, you actually ask those questions and try to figure out who you are without feeding the intellectual mind. In mantra meditation, you just completely meaninglessly repeat that word quite fast without any questions. First I would separately test all of the most popular/effective techniques like: mantra, headless way, noting/labeling, self-inquiry, actualism, aware of awareness. Then mastery of Samatha which btw. takes a lot of time, then with powerful mindfulness of Samatha do Vipassana insight practices, and only then if everything failed I would try to mix techniques.

-- Kenneth Folk

@Enlightenment 20 mins -> 10hrs of practice: some changes

Let's say you do this once a day, That means it takes a month to have "some changes".
However I read you said it took you 10 days to get to enlightened?

@Tistepiste Yes, something may change after 40 minutes, 3h or whatever the time may be, but I mean about 10h is like a good test for whether this specific type of technique you are currently trying, will work or it's better to move on to try the next for now 

-- Kenneth Folk

@Tistepiste No, some of my psychedelic trips were more challenging

-- Kenneth Folk

@Enlightenment Alright. And you did this technique for 20 mins a day, for 10 days (so 3 hours), and that got you enlightened?
Just curious, not being sceptical.

@Tistepiste 20x2 first day and then 2h every day for the next 10-14 days and it gradually removed my self until no agency

Edited by Enlightenment

-- Kenneth Folk

@Enlightenment Ok. And did it  *suddenly* happen, like the realization, a "snap". Or more like a gradual removal like you said, until you felt there was no self left?

@Tistepiste No agency moment happened suddenly, but the first glimpse was so subtle that I bearly noticed, then expanded sense of self, after that there were 2 major shifts which also brought the different perception of the self and its relation to the world.

-- Kenneth Folk

Since then I've done a lot of meditation, 90% of which was concentration AKA Samatha. The Mind Illuminated is a great book on this subject. Mastering Samatha has great value even if you're enlightened as it allows you, for example, to not suffer even from intense physical pain.

When you have mastered Stage Ten, the many positive mental qualities you experience during meditation are strongly present even between meditation sessions, so your daily life is imbued with effortlessly stable attention, mindfulness, joy, tranquility, and equanimity. This is the fourth and final Milestone and marks the culmination of an adept meditator’s training.

@Tistepiste @Unwiring you're welcome

Edited by Enlightenment

-- Kenneth Folk

@Tistepiste This is BS, they come from TM organization which is like a semi-scam, well for 900$ that is what you get from them, a "special" mantra that is somehow dependent on your age. Don't believe that, just choose any that seems easy to repeat. I'm 23

-- Kenneth Folk

@Unwiring 2h in one sitting is very long no matter what meditation you're doing. This kind of meditation is really different from the classic focusing on your breath because here you're not instructed to focus your attention on anything specific, or even care about it at all, monkey mind also tends to be more prominent here, that's fine. Your only goal is to silently sub-verbally repeat that mantra. At that point when aversion starts to arise, I would recommend to just stop. Try 2 shorter sessions, something like 50 min in the morning, and 50min in the evening. There's no reason that you have to do it in one sitting.

-- Kenneth Folk

Do you feel pure peace all the time? Are there moments when you feel more happy / better than other moments?

It's not like that.

It's more like you're not attached to feeling any certain way.

Enlightenment is when "it's ALL good."

Before enlightenment there's attachment to feeling good instead of feeling bad.

Avoiding bad feelings.

After enlightenment there's no need to avoid anything.  You take everything as it comes.

There's no desire to cling to positive emotions or to avoid negative ones.

Edited by Haumea2018

On 9/18/2018 at 2:01 PM, How to be wise said:

@Outer Jed McKenna is far from enlightened. LOC 580. Quite shocking for me, given that his big time fan Mickey Mouse sounded quite enlightened.

Jed McKenna is a fictional character that an anonymous author used to express his ideas/ experiences.