Pouya

How to let go of resistence?

43 posts in this topic

I've been into enlightenment for 7 months and I realized something. What ever I do, no matter it's a practice or a proccess, or a way of thinking or trying or inquiring, non of these will cause enlightenment.( maybe it's out of cause and reason)

I mean, when ever you're doing, your attention goes on something. An object or a thought or feelings and emotions, ect. It's focused on content. Is enlightenment some more content??

Actually I find resistance to EVERYTHING to make doing possible. How the f.ck can I stop resisting?

How can i see through content?

From lack of content ?

I suppose these as a part of doing aswell. So I'm hella confused and twisted. Maybe I should shut down the mind.

14 minutes ago, Pouya said:

I've been into enlightenment for 7 months and I realized something. What ever I do, no matter it's a practice or a proccess, or a way of thinking or trying or inquiring, non of these will cause enlightenment.( maybe it's out of cause and reason)

I mean, when ever you're doing, your attention goes on something. An object or a thought or feelings and emotions, ect. It's focused on content. Is enlightenment some more content??

Actually I find resistance to EVERYTHING to make doing possible. How the f.ck can I stop resisting?

How can i see through content?

From lack of content ?

I suppose these as a part of doing aswell. So I'm hella confused and twisted. Maybe I should shut down the mind.

Those who searches for enlightenment as if it is some buried treasure, embark on an endless search. They believe, that if they just find the right thing to point their awareness to, they will become enlightened. Enlightenment is a state of lack of content, in a way. For there to be some 'thing' / aka content, there has to be duality by thought. Something the ego can hold on to, for it to stay alive. What you will find, when you no longer hold on to any particular thing in your awareness is beyond words, as to experience it words/thought must be left at the gate.

5 minutes ago, FrgttnDeer said:

Just let go

See... i just sit down and try to let go.

I just don't know how to let go. Leo says try dmt or other substences but in this part of my life I just really can't (I'm 17, not independent yet)

Maybe i should work on relaxing my body-mind complex first. I think this is too straight.

Maybe instead of staying in my place i should go a full circle and come back here again.

19 minutes ago, Pouya said:

Maybe i should work on relaxing my body-mind complex first. I think this is too straight.

Could be the case. A big part of letting go is relaxing the tensions in the body.

Especially relax the knot behind the eyes. 

Another thing is having faith that it is okay to let go. 

If there is an "I" that is apart from resistance, that wants to do something about resistance, then both the "I" and resistance are getting mutually reinforced/fed.

This division between thinker and thoughts is what fuels thinking.

Therefore we can't approach thoughts with any effort, goal, intention.

Edited by robdl

Meditation is unconditioned awareness-attention. 

If it is conditioned attention (i.e. intent/effort), then it is merely just thinking.

@FrgttnDeer

For example, I'm on point a and i wanna go to point a. I have two ways: to stay where i am or go around and come back where i was.

@robdl

I heard many teachers say than true meditation is just being rather than doing. But the problem is than I actually don't know how to be.

12 hours ago, FrgttnDeer said:

Just let go

¬¬

Dude, that's like telling someone who is insane to "just snap out of it." Doesn't work that way.

Hell, it's not like I have any better answers, though. All I can say to OP is that it takes time to learn "to be." It's not something that comes automatically, and it can take years. Trying at not trying is a mindfuck. In fact, privately, I sometimes wonder if we even have any say in it at all and if our practices themselves really make as much of a difference as simply the intention itself to seek liberation.

What I mean by that is that sometimes you cannot let go no matter what you do; you can only be let go by the grace of God, so to speak. For me, the shift in consciousness began before I even tried to seek it. Sometimes you just have to wait for a miracle. Sometimes you just have to lie there, spread your legs, and let the universe do what it wants with you, even if it might not be exactly what you imagined that you wanted. Sometimes part of "being" is being distracted and unenlightened and being okay with that for the moment because that's how the universe is in this moment.

Fuck, I don't know what I'm talking about. I thought I did, but re-reading it, it could just as easily be a bunch of bullshit.

12 hours ago, Pouya said:

@robdl

I heard many teachers say than true meditation is just being rather than doing. But the problem is than I actually don't know how to be.

Thought/self/"I" doesn't know how to be; thought only knows how to perpetuate its own movement, which is through more thought; more doing.

Thought/self/"I" is always craving a "how to" -- as "how" implies a method, effort, knowledge, or doing.

But the catch is that the methods, efforts, knowlege, or doing used becomes the very perpetuation of thought-self itself. 

Thought-self is very sneaky this way.  It wants to try, to do, to exert, to apply -- as these are the very activities that sustain its movement.    Thought likes to avoid being, and instead, compulsively seeks more knowledge, more how-to's --- i.e. perpetuating itself through more thought/doing.

So if we can't exert or try, can we be effortlessly, passively aware?  That is what you may want to investigate. 

Can there be attention that has no goal, no intent, no effort? Can thoughts be watched without bias, motive, control, or choice? 

Without any prior beliefs, conclusions, or expectations that condition how the thoughts are watched?

If the desire to control arises, can there be passive awareness of this momentary, fleeting desire? 

***As long as there is an "I" that assumes it is the "thinker" of its thoughts, there will naturally be the compulsion to want to control-shape thought, to do something about thought.***

Through unconditioned awareness, it can be observed that the "self"/"I" is just made out of thought-experience-memory.  It can be observed that thought and self are a unitary movement; no division between thinker and thoughts.  It's a different quality of observation.  Observation with no conditioned, personal lens through which thought is viewed.

Edited by robdl

Perhaps understanding what is resistance and what is not resistance would be worth exploring..

Can we understand the nature of resistance and how this subtle movement of fear manifests in our daily life? 

Can there be an awareness to that understanding of resistance in movement? 

13 minutes ago, robdl said:

Thought/self/"I" doesn't know how to be; thought only knows how to perpetuate its own movement, which is through more thought; more doing.

Thought/self/"I" is always craving a "how to" -- as "how" implies a method, effort, knowledge, or doing.

But the catch is that the methods, efforts, knowlege, or doing used becomes the very perpetuation of thought-self itself. 

Thought-self is very sneaky this way.  It wants to try, to do, to exert, to apply -- as these are the very activities that sustain its movement.    Thought likes to avoid being, and instead, compulsively seeks more knowledge, more how-to's --- i.e. perpetuating itself through more thought.

So if we can't exert or try, can we be effortlessly, passively aware?  That is what you may want to investigate. 

Can there be attention that has no goal, no intent, no effort? Can thoughts be watched without bias, motive, control, or choice? 

Without any prior beliefs, conclusions, or expectations that condition how the thoughts are watched?

If the desire to control arises, can there be passive awareness of this momentary, fleeting desire? 

***As long as there is an "I" that assumes it is the "thinker" of its thoughts, there will naturally be the compulsion to want to control-shape thought, to do something about thought.***

Indeed..great post. Very important questions. 

Perhaps we can put aside the question of “how can I let go of resistance”, seeing that it nourishes “the i”, and we can instead start with what is the nature of reistance. 

Maybe through understanding resistance, freedom without resistance manifest in that seeing/understanding. 

Edited by Faceless

10 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Indeed..great post. Very important questions. 

Perhaps we can put aside the question of “how can I let go of resistance”, seeing that it nourishes “the i”, and we can instead start with what is the nature of reistance. 

Maybe through understand resistance, freedom without resistance manifest in that seeing/understanding. 

Definitely.  Having a limited or false understanding of resistance can be the fuel for resistance. 

Resistance loves-needs reactivity (action-reaction) toward it; resistance does not want to be fully seen-understood.

Edited by robdl

On 9/16/2018 at 10:40 AM, Pouya said:

Maybe I should shut down the mind.

I and mind are one and the same.  Mind conjures the "I" out of its own thought-movement.

The tricky, sneaky thing is that which sets out to shut down/kill the ego-mind IS THE ego-mind, only it doesn't realize that's so. 

The ego-mind likes to play these games, because they sustain-nourish the "mind killer", the "I", the "do-er".

But the ego-mind actually has no intention of killing/shutting down the mind.  That would be self-undermining, self-defeating.  But it likes to pretend that it does have the intention.

Edited by robdl

@Pouya

You only stop resisting the day when you clearly see that there is nothing called resistance in Reality. It is impossible to resist Reality. You think you're resisting but that's your illusion. Who the hell has the audacity to resist THIS? You can only imagine resisting Reality.

And you're intuiting it right that no doing will get you there. But there are networks of thought patterns, beliefs and identity structure that need to be deconstructed and it takes hell of doing to demolish all this. Then Enlightenment happens naturally.

Instead of trying to stop resisting, inquire into who is it that is resisting or trying to stop resisting.

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

Resistance is a reaction to "protect". Who or what, is it that is being protected? As Preetom stated, who is doing the resisting/protecting?
Is that which is being protected a construction of the mind? A predetermined conditioned belief or conclusion constructed in the mind/memory,not in line with the fact or actuality of what is present?

If the fact of the moment is that there is a feeling of resistance,can you acknowledge that there is a feeling of resistance and allow it completely without any movement to do anything about it. This would be resisting resistance. The wanting to let go of resistance is because of the dislike of the feeling being created by resisting. If there is no judgement of the feeling,ie., good/bad,like/dislike etc.,one can allow what is, to be as it is. When there is allowance of what is to be as it is,there is freedom from the unnecessary creation of what is not or what is false, that perpetuates suffering.

Edited by who chit

14 minutes ago, who chit said:

If the fact of the moment is that there is a feeling of resistance,can you acknowledge that there is a feeling of resistance and allow it completely without any movement to do anything about it. This would be resisting resistance. The wanting to let go of resistance is because of the dislike of the feeling being created by resisting.

Yeah, the wanting to let go of resistance, out of dislike for the resistance, is this very resistance in operation!  Resistance perpetuating resistance.  Resistance-fear-thought feeds on itself in this manner.  Through this negative-positive reactivity to itself.

Edited by robdl

3 minutes ago, robdl said:

Yeah, the wanting to let go of resistance, out of dislike for the resistance, is this very resistance in operation!  Resistance perpetuating resistance.

Yep. A circle jerk of resistance.