Barry J

Pot addiction

26 posts in this topic

I’m addicted. 6 months now. Smoke before work and at work. Corporate job. Always high. Get home and smoke till asleep. Love the stuff but I’m starting to feel different. Darker moods etc. but also deep realisations. I feel like my shell is cracking and my innards are oozing out. But it feels cathartic. So maybe it’s good? 

I think this applies a little bit to you

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

37 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@Barry J

Is there more thinking present when sober, or high?

@Nahm More thinking when high but also more moments of peaceful clarity. So both!

more extreme swings between thought and thoughtless I guess

Edited by Barry J

Oh and I had a kind of mania some months ago. Felt like Jesus. Probably psychosis haha

Sounds like the opposite of good.

Quit that shit, since you're not able to use it in moderation.

This is not how psychedelics are to be used.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I did this for years, it gets old quick. You'll get to dependant on it, you're tolerance will sky rocket, the stuff is not cheap, going to work sober will suck. Its not necessarily good, so many people post about pot here and to me it's all about moderation, just try not to over use it.

@Outer Cannabis has always been the Pluto of the psychedelic solar system: not totally excluded from recognition, but rarely included fully. One of the most poignant psychedelic experiences I've ever had was after consuming only cannabis. 

2 hours ago, Outer said:

Pot is not a psychedelic.

Have you even tried it???

It most certainly has psychedelic properties and can be a tool used for spiritual work though, even if not a "real" psychedelic 

@Barry J If you have gotten into a habit like this, it may be best to try and ween yourself off. Taking time away from weed and trying to really integrate (and I mean REALLY integrate) the increased awareness and insights you receive while high is really productive IME. It also will help you recover some of the tolerance problems daily smoking will bring so that whenever you return to the substance (if you can not slip back into an addicted behavior), the experiences will be much more potent and potentially conducive towards your spiritual development. 

4 minutes ago, Outer said:

Proof?

I don't have any scientific studies if that's what your asking for. I only can speak from personal experience. And in my experience, some of my highest (pun) states of awareness and some of my biggest insights have come from smoking weed and eating edibles. Perhaps the substance's potential is different for everyone. 

Edited by Consilience

1 minute ago, Outer said:

I only want scientific evidence, mechanism of action, whatever... Self-inquiry, meditation, psychedelics, yoga, exercise... all have that. Weed, not. In fact the evidence points to the opposite, lower DMN deactivation.

Let's go the opposite way. You want scientific evidence that cannabis is a psychedelic, but can you provide me scientific evidence that cannabis is NOT a psychedelic in any way possible?

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

5 minutes ago, Outer said:

I only want scientific evidence, mechanism of action, whatever... Self-inquiry, meditation, psychedelics, yoga, exercise... all have that. Weed, not. In fact the evidence points to the opposite, lower DMN deactivation.

Well them I'm afraid you'll have to ask someone else. Like I said, I can only speak from my experience. I'd be careful with relying too heavily on scientific studies when it comes to this topic. All of these drugs are schedule 1 e.g. there is A LOT more research needed. 

@Outer

Also the overwhelming majority of scientific studies are looking at data as a whole and outliers or exceptions to the average or even *expected* results can often be ignored or overlooked. I have no doubt that for some, perhaps the majority of weed users, the DMN may increase. However I'd also wager that many of these users participating in these studies do not know about non-duality so... the idea that there is no self would be easily dismissed or laughed at. 

If you really want to investigate drug induced altered states of consciousness, you should simply take the drug and observe the outcome. Try out weed and see what happens imo. 

Edited by Consilience

5 minutes ago, Outer said:

I've done edibles,whatever, many times in the past and it's nowhere even close to the effect of psychedelics. The only thing I found familiar is the body load on psilocybin.

If you're an avid weed user be careful to not justify your own usage. You can admit you like the feeling of being high.

Weed is an amusement park ride while actual psychedelics dissolve the amusement park.

I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm just trying to make suer we all remember that different tools work for different people, dats all. 

Spend the whole day sober and in the end of the night smoke but dont distract yourself by doing anything. no tv no music no friends no books nothing. Just sit & watch how weed makes you super attached to your thoughts & generate lots of cravings. Youll naturally want to quit.

13 minutes ago, Outer said:

All I want to settle is that marijuana is not a psychedelic drug.

I agree with you.