Cortex

I Wasn't Meditating For Couple Of Days And I Felt Horrible

9 posts in this topic

I've had a couple days of break from my daily meditation habit, and I felt so horrible because of this, it was like hell,today I am back and I felt like if I was drinking cold water after days without it, or sleeping after days of sleepless nights, everything is functioning properly again, does it mean that meditation is also an addition ? Probably, but it's pretty great one 

Meditation is like daily medicine for monkey mind.  Meditation is like exercise, you don’t realize how good it is for your life until you do it for a while and then abruptly stop doing it.  These things like exercise, sleep, diet, and meditation all keep your monkey mind at bay and allow you to be keenly mindful throughout your day.  They’re investments that we might consider to be authentic Spiritual Practices.  I call them the ‘Big Four’ Spiritual Practices.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

A meditative state has been so seamlessly woven into my mind that I don't have to set aside time in the way most people approach it. I do still set aside time for it but I am always cultivating the clarity in my mind even if it's for a minute or few every moment I am not actively focusing on something.

About three decades ago I began this exercise of 'walking meditation' and now I reflexively shift into the meditative mind state spontaneously. I even find myself in it while I am actively focusing on something else, I am meditatively observing my 'self' focusing on a task in every day life.

This way the mindfulness is a natural state for my consciousness to continually be in and not something I have to try to be in.

23 hours ago, Cortex said:

does it mean that meditation is also an addition

You are addicted to thinking.

Man, I'd feel like I was running around all day in my underwear if I didn't meditate for even one day, it's that much a part of my life now. I don't think your experience is weird or unusual. It's a good lesson.....don't skip days on end anymore.   :D

@Ryan_047  If you were just asking about generic walking meditation, here is a good video. I do this sometimes in preparation for a seated meditation. Gets your brain into "the zone."  I've watched mannnny of his videos, and they're educational, both for meditation instruction and enlightenment education.

1 hour ago, Ryan_047 said:

@SOUL How do you do walking meditation? 

It's really just using any moment to clear the mind. Standing on line somewhere? Clear the mind. In the shower or pooping? Clear the mind. Waiting at a traffic light? Clear the mind. In the elevator? Clear the mind. Walking the dog? Clear the mind.

Instead of letting the mind ramble off with monkey chatter anytime it's not focusing on a task I use any moment to 'meditate' by clearing the mind. Eventually the mind spontaneously goes to it anytime it's not focusing.

Even repetitive tasks that we often are doing unconsciously can serve as an opportunity to use the conscious mind to meditate. This will expand our ability to integrate meditation into life seamlessly and will be continuous, not intermittent.