Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Maynor

Teaching and Preaching can be an Egoic Distraction to Doing your own Work

3 posts in this topic

TEACHING AND PREACHING CAN BE AN EGO DISTRACTION TO DOING YOUR OWN PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT WORK

The trap of the Spiritual Ego.   I've fallen into this trap myself and had to kind of pull myself out of it.

You're saving the world and trying to make an impact on the world, but your work efforts are not directed towards solving your own actual problem situations in your life.  Your own life is still a mess.  Teaching and preaching can be a sneaky Egoic distraction away from 'in here' to 'out there'.  That's how Ego works, and thus you have the Spiritual Ego trap.

And I've seen this on the Forum -- oftentimes we focus on helping others so we don't have to look at our own problems.  We don't wanna look inward and address our own actual problem situations with our time.  So, we become the Spiritual Ego who's focused on changing things 'out there' so we don't have to look at the mess 'in here'.

This is something that Stage Coral understands: Your own basic personal development is all that matters.  What are you doing with your time?  Is your work time focused on solving your own actual problem situations or are you distracted away from that in Thought and Experience in some manner?  It's doing your own personal development that's the hard thing.  It's letting go of Thought and Experience that's the hard thing.  It's letting go of leaving a legacy behind or changing the world that's the hard thing.  It's being keenly mindful throughout your day that's the hard thing.  It's realizing the Truth and remembering it that's the hard thing.  It's facing and doing your own mundane authentic life work that's the hard thing. 

For example: are you exercising, meditating, earning enough money, eating right, sleeping enough, getting away from distractions, saving for retirement, keeping your body and mind healthy, getting rid of all your addictions, organizing your day, doing those things on your to-do list that you're avoiding?  It's weird, at Coral you become very interested in these very mundane, practical personal development things that are your actual problem situations in your own life -- we might call these the small things in life which are ironically actually the big things in your life.  You realize that by trying to change the world while having your own life stay a mess is a huge trap.  This is because all there really is is you.  And you don't wanna focus inward, that's the main problem.  It's too painful, mundane, and boring.  That's what you've gotta figure out how to solve though, see.  All there is is You as God Awareness of your little life -- don't let Egoic distractions flip your priorities around from 'in here' to 'out there'.

Edited by Joseph Maynor