DustyWhy

Please Convince Me

29 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

Yes indeed. Yet without a conceptual framework, I’m more prone to dismissing a mystical experience as “woo woo”. 

It's possible, but on mushrooms, I saw the idea of myself and life in a whole new light. I couldn't even write it off as "woo woo". It was too real. 

"Woo-woo" is just the excuse of a bigoted mind to justify its bigotry as science.

Every cutting-edge scientific discovery feels "woo-woo". Until the mind gets used to it, then it becomes "established science" which could not have been otherwise.

The ego-mind always plays this game of moving the goalposts and denying its own bigotry.

Reality distortion 101

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Sorry I havnt responded yet, been busy.  Thanks for all the replies.

Ive had more time to think so I want to expand on what I really meant with my (shitty) title. I didnt mean "convince me that spirituality isnt woo woo" or "convince me of the Truth". I meant "I want to give spirituality a shot, but I cant bring myself to do it. Convince me that i should do this". It was more about convicing me emotionally than about convincing a sceptic mind.

Edited by DustyWhy

Sorry I havnt responded yet, been busy.  Thanks for all the replies.

@Leo Gura youre right it is fear. Altought I didnt use the word fear to begin with, I always knew it was about some kind of fear. I think I labeled it as hesitance or something internally.

Everything you explained about truth being direct, I already knew. Your video did a really good job at explaining that its impossible to outsmart it with rational thought. So I dont really have a problem with that.

I also agree that woo woo is an excuse by ignorant people. Thats why Ive always been interested in spirituality, because it embraces cutting edge science. Thats why your video was so effective on me, it really spoke to the part of me that thinks that scientist and rational sceptics are narrow minded. The part of me that gets disgusted by that they cant give new and different ideas credit simply because that would jeopardize their status as a scientist.

@Juan Cruz Giusto Thanks for the reply. I got many recomendations but what you said about reading critiques of materialism sparked my interest. Thats the one thing from all the recomendations that actually felt fun, and not like a chore. So I think I should start there. Its just Im really unsure if I can afford it. I mean technically I can, but I dont feel like I can afford spending money on something if Im not sure it will be of value to me.

I understand its a weird thing to ask, but do you have any tips on how I can be comfortable with spending money on it when theres a risk it might not be of value for me? I understand this is outside the realm of spirituality. But it is within the realm of self-development, and Im just being honest with the fact that I do need help with this (silly) thing. 

I realize theres maybe one more thing I should tell, its about trust and my relation to trusting. Im gonna assume this is a good place to get personalized advice. Because I need personalized advice, thats why I got so happy when I found out about this forum.

I have a complicated history with trust. First of all I have gotten tricked by many people and society, leading me to become very sick. Yes, I know we all have been tricked by society, that much I have understood from you guys. But its still a part of my hisory with trust.

Secondly I have problems with trusting myself, specifically trusting my senses. And I think this is why its so hard for me to go meditate, and to trust myself if I have a mystical experience and all that. Yes, I understand that you will say that once I have it I will trust it, fair enough. But that doesnt change the fact that Im scared about it.

I guess its best if I actually tell why this is, so you can frame it correctly. Ive was tricked into thinking I was mentally ill. Throughout my teenage years I often got told that I had hallucinations by my parents. I believed I had a disease that made my senses unreliable. It should be pretty easy to see why this leads to a hard time trusting myself, especially my senses.

The last 9 months I have begun repairing myself, building up trust in myself. But that yourney isnt over yet, Im still not fully repaired. Therefore its hard for me to feel relaxed when you tell me that I need to find the Truth by means of trusting my senses.

On 9/13/2018 at 0:16 AM, Leo Gura said:

"Woo-woo" is just the excuse of a bigoted mind to justify its bigotry as science.

It's common in science yet not limited to science. It's rational/logical thinking. A rational-centered philosopher, construction worker, banker, wall street broker, pizza delivery guy etc. could dismiss a mystical experience as being irrational and woo woo.

Last night I had a conversation with a woman that dismissed a paranormal experience she had as being irrational and woo woo. I asked her if we could pause and explore her direct experience. Perhaps this is an ability she has that is rudimentary (And I am the scientist).

A couple weeks ago, my philosopher friend ripped into me about how my paranormal open-mindedness is completely irrational and how I've become one of those new agey woo woos I used to mock.