Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
QandC

Sleep Deprivation and Mystical Experiences

9 posts in this topic

I am gonna make this as short as possible:

Can sleep deprivation help cause mystical/non-dual/enlightenment experiences?

I recently didn't sleep for and entire day and noticed my mind becoming a bit more fuzzy and thinking in other ways than usual, also experiencing reality a bit more "magical" than usual. After 36 hours I meditated for like an hour and afterwards experienced a completely non-dual/ego-separated state. (The word "state" does not make the 'experience' justice). I basically became God and Reality/Truth and had an inner understanding I had never had before. The edges of my body and ego dissolved and I completely merged with reality. It sure scared the shit out of my ego first but then I let go and it was unbelievable. Cannot even describe. The ones who knows – you know.

So... I know sleep deprivation is not good in any way. But it sure helped me reach a totally new level of consciousness/knowing. Would it be beneficial to try at least once to go a full night without sleep, live your day normally and then meditate for a long period of time with the purpose of reaching, well, voilá?

- Enter your fear and you are free -

I dont think this will work..but hey go ahead and try it. Also do you know about sleep paralysis? One of people Ive met told me you could induce this paralysis with sleep deprivation and close to the time when you will go to bed you should drink some coke (I think it contains caffeine..but Im not sure) or a coffee and you should experience it. But you know..you could experience something crazy but..when you will be in that state will you be able to handle it? 

1 hour ago, hookmyhead said:

I dont think this will work..but hey go ahead and try it. Also do you know about sleep paralysis? One of people Ive met told me you could induce this paralysis with sleep deprivation and close to the time when you will go to bed you should drink some coke (I think it contains caffeine..but Im not sure) or a coffee and you should experience it. But you know..you could experience something crazy but..when you will be in that state will you be able to handle it? 

Yes, I have had sleep paralysis and I am able to induce those pretty easily. Same with lucid dreaming. I've always had an ability to feel intuition and energies pretty easily. Aka. "psychich" abilities. I think I got it from my grandma who worked with those type of things.

But that is not the point. This is a serious question and it needs more attention, just like with psychedelics. We are here to explore different shortcuts (yes, shortcuts can be good if they are not bad for you) and see where it takes us. I know sleep deprivation is bad, but might there not be something going on in the brain/mind after you have lost sleep that allows you to enter consciousness in a totally different way? Perhaps the chakras become more sensitive or something.

I am not saying stay up 3 days in a row, but if you would try to stay up an entire night and then later during the day have an intense meditation session I bet you that there would be a different experience. Not in a negative way, but in an enlightening way just like I had. It was pretty short, the experience, but really heavy as well. I thought that was what this forum-section was about but people seem to be more interested in discussing cactuses and a guy named Mr. Traumatik instead of direct awakenings.

I wouldn´t try. People who take to much amphetamines fry their brain. I´ts not the drug that causes it, its the sleep deprivation. The mind needs sleep to be healthy. If you don´t sleep you might experience Schizophrenic stuff and psycosis and so on.
Sometime spiritual experiencees can seem similar to going insane. The difference is that one is good for you and the other not.

3 hours ago, hookmyhead said:

all this in order to force a mystical experience?

sleep depravation, caffeine

this is seeking behaviour

when you will be in that state will you be able to handle it? 

this is a very wise question

the ends never justify the means

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

3 hours ago, Arkandeus said:

all this in order to force a mystical experience?

sleep depravation, caffeine

this is seeking behaviour

this is a very wise question

the ends never justify the means

Spending a lot of money, time and effort going to South America to lick toads and join spiritual practices just to "experience a mystical experience", wouldn't you call that "seeking behaviour" as well? Everything that has to do with enlightenment and mystical experiences is usually a seeking behaviour. There has to be a seeker. I'm not trying to say people should start giving up sleep. I'm just saying that in my case this actually worked for some reason. I've had those types of experiences on mushrooms before and even sober, and this time it was even more intense. Could be the level I'm at as well and probably wouldn't work for a newbie

3 hours ago, QandC said:

Spending a lot of money, time and effort going to South America to lick toads and join spiritual practices just to "experience a mystical experience", wouldn't you call that "seeking behaviour" as well? Everything that has to do with enlightenment and mystical experiences is usually a seeking behaviour. There has to be a seeker. I'm not trying to say people should start giving up sleep. I'm just saying that in my case this actually worked for some reason. I've had those types of experiences on mushrooms before and even sober, and this time it was even more intense. Could be the level I'm at as well and probably wouldn't work for a newbie

quite indeed,the points that you bring up are valid

as long as we are conscious of what we're doing and we're honest with ourselves there is freedom to explore as we like to

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

You can try. one night per week won't kill you.

Edited by Blissout