BestLifePossible

Sadhguru "Live in the Monent is a stupid Western idea."

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I understand Sadhguru is incredibly far along and I am probably misunderstanding hugely, but I can't seem to understand why he is against "Live in the Moment" is it more the Philosophy he's against, as this moment is all there is? I believed being in the now was one of the key aspects of an enlightened person as they all seem to mention it, and the whole essence of Zen was about this? Any insight into this would be helpful as it seriously confusing me, hugely overthinking this as my main practice was to meditate etc in attempts to "be present" as much as possible or to use another word, be mindful. 

Thank you for any help and here's the video if you haven't seen it- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ZZSDBgED0

Did you watch the video you posted? He explains it quite clearly there and you don't need to ask others what he means by it.

Of course there are plenty of people that would disagree with his assertions or if they do accept his words as he speaks them they will still be critical of others if they would try to express the same thing here. The reason is the dogmatic attachment to their own concepts is strong and a differing perspective threatens the basis of their identity even if they deny that's the nature of their way.

There are many paths to the top of the mountain, some easy, some hard, some short, some long but they all have the same view at the top. Find your path and enjoy the trip.

Edited by SOUL

"In the moment" is an idea of the mind, and the you or the I that you believe you are is "trying" to pursue this idea. In actuality, you can never escape or leave the now as that is what you essentially, existentially are. You cannot exit yourself, but you CAN imagine that you are something else than what you actually are. That enables a movement of the mind, that conceptualizes "the now" very poorly, as it cannot be conceptualized. That concept is based in clock-time (past, present, future), which is also an idea. There is only eternity and that's it.

The idea of "be in the now", practiced as "oh I'm thinking about the future again! oh, now the past god damn it!" is a shallow level of that teaching, yet a necessary one. If you try to be (your idea of) present long enough, you will realize eventually that you are always in the moment, and no thought about clock-time can touch it. The idea of past or future, is always happening now.

So keep practicing. In general, every time you notice you are confused about such things as this, you have the opportunity to return to yourself, and be... present! :D There are no problems, there is only a mind that is trying it's best. That is it's job, so no problems there.

@molosku ohhh that makes more sense, so he is not really opposing say Tolle's teachings, but along the same lines as he says this moment is all there is so "become friendly with it, instead of trying to escape it" and says how we still think of past and future, but it is all done in the now, thank you for your response:) 

@SOUL I see, thank you, I guess you're right, my mind is attached to presence, instead of actually being present or using it as a philosophy I need to live it, as such a philosophy will not help, all about direct experience, thank you. 

Wouldnyou say he is saying similar to say Tolle and Thich Naht Hanh, in saying this is all there is?

9 minutes ago, BestLifePossible said:

@SOUL I see, thank you, I guess you're right, my mind is attached to presence, instead of actually being present or using it as a philosophy I need to live it, as such a philosophy will not help, all about direct experience, thank you. 

Wouldnyou say he is saying similar to say Tolle and Thich Naht Hanh, in saying this is all there is?

Being present and presence could be used interchangeably I guess, it's not the words that matter, they are only used to communicate and the words themselves have no true value beyond how they are used which is an especially individualized thing.

Yes, being present isn't a philosophy, it's our direct experience and as it has been pointed out we can't ever be out of the moment. Although, awareness of the present moment instead of distracted by the past or future is the genuine message of the phrase.

I don't know what others say about it but I suspect there are similar themes shared by them.

@SOUL

1 hour ago, SOUL said:

Being present and presence could be used interchangeably I guess, it's not the words that matter, they are only used to communicate and the words themselves have no true value beyond how they are used which is an especially individualized thing.

Yes, being present isn't a philosophy, it's our direct experience and as it has been pointed out we can't ever be out of the moment. Although, awareness of the present moment instead of distracted by the past or future is the genuine message of the phrase.

I don't know what others say about it but I suspect there are similar themes shared by them.

???✨

?IngitScooby ?