Fuku

Art

11 posts in this topic

(english is my second language, sorry in advance)

So, I'm trying to get rid of everything useless, and toxic in my life (I'm coming from very low levels, close to alcoholism, accomplished nothing for about 30 years, etc etc)
And so far I managed to get rid of alcohol, almost stopped smoking (a bit of vaping here and there but the needs get lower and lower), uninstalled competitive video games which were what I was doing with most of my free time home...

But I'm still not sure about the consumption of art in general.
To be honest, I'm pretty dumb, and I have basically not general knowledge, as 95% + of what I consumed during my whole life were, in equal parts, video games, movies, music, comics, cartoons, series, etc.
So, the urgency of learning lots of things feels pretty high to me (I also have some sort of option paralysis this, but that's another story), and I want to stop wasting so much time, cut out my usual distractions, and read non-fiction content from now on.
Thing is, is fiction, video games, or even music, a waste of time? It's what Leo suggested in a video (I don't remember which one). I'm questioning this as I resonate with art so much.
But do you (most people on the path to "englightenment") consider art in general is a waste of time?
I know it's hard for me to be objective as it's a big part of my identity, but considering art as a waste of time would be a pretty big statement (what about doing art yourself? How would it be different? Only useful if used to send a message?)
As always, I'm pretty sure there's a middleway, occasional consumption of the usual "gratuitous" things I like, but I'm interested in hearing other side's opinions about this.

Art that is made from the roots of the ego is a waste of time.

You have to realise that art is ultimately created by a human. That human is unlikely to be part of the 1% of individuals who are probably not even aware of self-actualization let alone enlightened

But art isn't a waste of time if it has purpose. If it has passion, if it has love

If you were to create art, and done in a way that has no ego influence, you would create... The universe :) 

So I don't think anything is a waste of time unless it's egostical. To be honest, to even say something is a waste of time is bad, because it's suggesting that you're trying to get "something" but what are you trying to get? Let time be wasted, who gives a fuck? Oh right, your "ego" does :)

That's why it can be different when you make. It's made from love because it was made by you. If you have no ego, and you made art, it's just pure love 

examples of egoistical art is like portraits of Monarchies... Or Romantic art

Edited by B_Naz

You're not human, you're the universe

it can be a waste of time..

it can also be hella inspiring. 

just depends , whether you are mindlessly zoning out and hitting controls.

or really engaged with the experience, the artists' intent, and operate from there.

@Fuku English is a difficult language to write. Your English is at a high level for a second language.

It sounds like you’ve made a lot of positive changes in your life. I would prioritize consistency. Perhaps start committing to 1-2hrs a day of self improvement / spiritual work to start a healthy habit. 

I’ve participated in spiritual groups that emphasized becoming selfless by getting rid of possessions and refraining from personal desires. I went too far at one point denying myself personal pleasures. I became really serious about life. Completely denying yourself pleasure from the start is bold - yet I would consider having some fun time each day. Do sonething you enjoy and be good to yourself. Smile and laugh a bit. Perhaps see if you can do art in moderation. If you are too attached, perhaps try starting a new hobby that makes you feel good. 

One big meta-philosophy of Art. Probably be ace if some right brained person broke it down or more fittingly explained through their work. More analytically what is there? Impressionism, Expressionism, Romanticism ??????

Video games can be puzzle orientated in which case I wouldn't call that art, Or convey ideas, impressions.  

Communicating in another language hard enough presumably, but how does one convey the various shading in English, except perhaps for poetry? I think google sometimes does a pretty poor job on definitions. 

@Fuku

art is a difficult thing to define

when it comes down to it, seek to appreciate and find beauty in all things

as far as media goes, there can be varying levels of insight [accessible or derivable] depending on the source

the question is what do you want to expose yourself to and for what reason? and the choice is up to you

being in nature offers the least corrupted/ distorted form of art and would be the purest choice (the media here being the sights, sounds, smells and sensations of your surroundings)

to elaborate on nature being the purest art --

it offers the deepest insights as there is no other filter to perceive it through other than your own

all art created by man/woman is derivative of and interpreted through nature anyway ;)

just speaking from my own experience of:

8 hours ago, Fuku said:

trying to get rid of everything useless, and toxic in my life

all the best, bless :x

n͇̺̼̦̰̲͎̼̻̣ͥ̐͌̀̆̎ͪ͛̄ͦa͕̮̗͚̹̯͙̥͇ͩ̃͒̍̿͆́̋͂͑̇ͣ̓̃ͯ́ͅm͙̙̳̦͖̞̣̀̋̿ͦ̑ͦ͋ã̻͉̝͎͕̃̀ͦ̓̾̿ͤ̄͒ͥͤ͐ͭ̀ͭͯ͗̚s̟͉̘̬͖͍ͬ̔̇̑̉̋̋̌̽̋̃̄ͩ̾t̼͎͖̻̯̤͍͉̝̜͙̤̰̪̭ͭͪ̆͌e͇͙͈͔͓̜̠͇̖̪͓̤̦ͩ̋͂ͧ̔ͩͣ̄ͬ̎ͤ̿ͯͯͭ̂̏̓

- yawning gap

"embrace your inner pain. in hopelessness, you will find bliss. to be mindful all the time you need to have attention on the breath as second nature." - hellspeed

Art is emotions speaking threw some medium and emotions move you so its on you if will move you or make you stuck

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

16 hours ago, B_Naz said:

But art isn't a waste of time if it has purpose. If it has passion, if it has love

Not sure how you define passion here : is someone obsessed by something, pouring his soul into it, passion? So if a guy just creates some basic action manga, movie or whatever, but he's really passionate about it, does that make it not a waste of time?
And as I'm asking this, I'm actually figuring out that, rather than the sender, it's actually the receptor/viewer/reader's case that counts. "Does this serve any purpose for me right now, or is it hindering my evolution?" I guess the answer would be that yes, in most cases would be that yes, a huge consumption of pure entertainment is a waste of time. If I'm actually questioning my lifestyle, it should have been obvious to me that some part of me want to break this current shell that I am.

16 hours ago, K VIL said:

just depends , whether you are mindlessly zoning out and hitting controls.

Yep. This.

16 hours ago, B_Naz said:

If you were to create art, and done in a way that has no ego influence, you would create... The universe :) 

So basically, art that's not made for money, fame, etc? I'm actually on my way to work on some project right now and I never really questioned my motivations, I have to admit. I just feel good and get totally absorbed when I do art. But then again, this could be escapism from something else. I just know that I've always resonnated a lot with doing art since I was young (I've been stopped by huge depression tho, but I'm starting to get out of this I think, as I don't see what I do as "not good enough", rather like doing it for what it is and to find myself through it)

16 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

English is a difficult language to write. Your English is at a high level for a second language.

Thanks. I'm way better at undertanding the language than writing it, but as long as I'm understood, I suppose that's ok.

Perhaps start committing to 1-2hrs a day of self improvement / spiritual work to start a healthy habit. 

So far I basically only do 30 mn of (basic, "empty mind") meditation per day and trying to keep it consistant as I had problems with this in the past. I'm actually not sure what other spiritual work I could practice to be honest (I've heard about self inquiry many times, I'll have to go back on the videos where I found it and find a method). I'll have to look into this, suggestions welcome.

I’ve participated in spiritual groups that emphasized becoming selfless by getting rid of possessions and refraining from personal desires. I went too far at one point denying myself personal pleasures. I became really serious about life. Completely denying yourself pleasure from the start is bold - yet I would consider having some fun time each day.

I think I'm leaning this way, getting rid of distractions progressively. All at once seems a bit much indeed (especially for someone like me that have, from what I suppose, and addictive personnality), even if it sounds really interesting.

15 hours ago, RichardY said:

Video games can be puzzle orientated in which case I wouldn't call that art, Or convey ideas, impressions.  

Indeed. It depends on the case. Let's say there's art-driven video games (focusing on visuals, story, ideas, etc), and e-sport (again another debate on the idea of this category even existing for some people, but let's just simplify it like that)

11 hours ago, yawning_ said:

art is a difficult thing to define

Yeah. Some people would consider art is only something "worthwile" that tries to use the medium to make something that's either truly unique and make people think, and/or something that conveys a strong message that hasn't been heard often, or is known but conveyed in a personal way.
Other would say art is just using any artistic medium, whatever the result is. Which is my vision of things right now.

the question is what do you want to expose yourself to and for what reason? and the choice is up to you

Yep. Again, I have to rethink this really hard, I can't see through my love of art right now as I never questionned it.

all the best, bless

Thank you my friend.

Oh. I didn't see it this way. Makes sense I suppose ^_^

@Fuku Passion is linked mainly with life purpose. Is art something you REALLY want to do.

Your look on art without ego is good. Basically art shouldn't benefit you. It shouldn't help you relief stress, or help you with escapism, and that's something you have to look over yourself and see if it is actually doing that for you currently. 

Art can help ask you create questions that are used in contemplating like what is the meaning of life or it can help you with awareness of your emotions like painting when you are in an emotional state can show you that certain emotion in that state and even purge it out. If you create art when you're angry, that art is angry and thus you can really see the emotion, visually. (Just an example).

This is why I'm more interested in abstract art, where art has actual meaning and can come from a very special place, within

You can turn art into one of your spiritual hobbies, if you do it right. 

manga and comics, are not part of this art. Drawing of the sun's reflection on a beautiful river is.

You're not human, you're the universe