jasonjp1016

Would you start a new life if giving the option?

8 posts in this topic

Today I was pondering that if giving the opportunity to stop this life and start a new one clean slate as if this was a dream and be giving a new set of circumstances,  I wouldn’t do it.  I know I want to finish this one out even if it’s just a dream.  I’m too attached to the things going on in my life to just drop it.  I want to see where it all ends up.  Then it dawned on me if this is the case that I need to accept everything just that way it is because I already accept my circumstances and I’m willing to keep going forward and see what happens.  Why fight it?

As I was showering and having these thoughts, I felt all my worries disappear and weight lifted off my shoulders.  It felt so nice to accept what I have to deal with and it was really no big deal rather then resist things.  It as a very peaceful and liberating feeling.

We have to ponder this thought because if you think you’re looking for enlightenment but cannot even consider giving up your life even if you knew it was a dream then I don’t think you really want enlightenment.  I realized I don’t really want it if it means the end of me.  I want to keep moving forward and see where this all goes.  Who knows where it all leads..

So for a good exercise ask yourself; would you be willing to give up your life as you know it if you knew it was a dream,  start a new life with new circumstances, a new family, a new loved one, never knowing again the people and family in your current situation. That means realizing that all the people in your life are just dream stuff you may be creating.

I'm not saying that I know this is the case, I'm just saying ponder it to see if you would really give it up if you knew 100% it was a dream for something different or would you want keep moving forward with your current situation.

Again I'm not claiming any of this as true, but simply a good exercise to see what others would choose.  I'm interesting in hearing anyone's thoughts.

Edited by jasonjp1016

@jasonjp1016 I used to fantasize about this. Depression and anxiety loves this topic. Of course,  at different stages in life, you have varying degrees of what keeps you invested in the current story.  There have been so many times when I have wished to start over.  Or to start from a certain point in time where I felt it started to all go wrong. And I always conclude that I would want my current memories, so that I could make 'educated' (lol)  choices and not end up in the same place.

You are talking about waking up in a whole new life with new circumstances and family, etc, as if waking up from or beginning a new dream. However, Im not sure if it's a valid question because this person would no longer be 'you', whatever that is, and you might as well be asking : "would you be willing to die? and then oh look, someone just began a new dream let's see how he does." 

Personally,  I could go either way. If given the choice, I might possibly take it. I have lots to love but I feel a little beat down too. Perhaps your circumstances are much different than mine,  which tends to lead to more attachments. 

My question to you is what are you so tied to? and if they were gone or pass away, would you change your mind about sticking with this story if given a choice?  

Edited by starsofclay

@starsofclay I actually have a nice life.  We all have regrets but I learned to let go of the past for the most part.  I'm a little anxious about the future and finding my real purpose.

When I thought about this I realized even if it was a dream I would actually still enjoy living in this life if I just let go and let life happen instead of being uptight about not being where I want to be right now.  You don't know what's going to happen which makes it kind of exciting even if it's not real.  Plus I realized I'm more attached to the people in my life then I originally realized after this exercise even if they're not real.

My main purpose in the post was to see if others would let go of their attachments in this life if they new it wasn't real.  I always thought I wanted enlightenment, but when I thought about it this way it made me realize I'm more attached to this life then I realized.  And honestly when I saw it from that perspective my challenges were easier to accept.

To answer your question if all my attachments had passed on I think it would make it much easier to start a new dream, but I'm sure they're so many things to be learned if you stick with your current.  All of this being hypothetical of course.

Edited by jasonjp1016

Maybe I should have put this in another way.  Would you let go of this life if you knew it wasn't real in exchange for the TRUTH whatever that may be?  That's what I was really getting at in the original post.

@jasonjp1016 I would... I think.  There's doubt I guess.  But mostly I think I would

Edited by starsofclay

@Mikael89 the reason I'm still attached is for the people in my life who rely on me and are still stuck in the illusion. I have a bleeding  heart for them. Otherwise, it's goodbye world! 

@starsofclay Lets say they are not real and just part of the dream.  Would you still be hesitant?  Oddly enough I realized I would be hesitant.