Leo-Tzu

Name the best lifechangeing book and i'll try to read it

19 posts in this topic

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. It triggered a lot my psychosis it's still worthy.

The Way of the Superior Man by David Deida. I was introduced to the concept of life purpose through this book.

@Leo-Tzu The book of not knowing. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

The power of now and to follow up on a more detail explanation of the ego, a new earth from Tolle.

I personally enjoy Adyashanti talks too.

Deep work by cal newport it give a great tool to thrive in the economy and how people like Albert einstein have succeeded that you can now use yourself to become great.

So good they can't ignore you by cal newport. It gives a great idea on how people actually end up passionate about what they do for a living and gives you instructions on how you can find your own passion.

feel the fear and do it anyway susan jeffers. Gives a great idea on how to handle fear.

Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise by K. Anders Ericsson. If you want to become an expert this book tells you how which is deliberate practice.

the road less traveled scott peck. It gives a good idea on what to do when things get hard in life.

how to become a straigt a student by cal newport. Gives great insights on how to learn effectively.

Edited by BjarkeT

How to make friends and influence people lol for me the concept of "don't talk about yourself, listen to the other people" were kind of revolutionary, since then, is WAY easier to make friends, people will love you if you just pretend to be interested in their life. I was socially retarded back then xD but it still amazes me how many people make the mistake of making everything about themselves. 

Edited by Recursoinominado

The book of not knowing (Peter Ralston)

And also, if you're into sports and exercising:
Zen body (Peter Ralston)
Will revolutionize your body awareness

Eckhart tolle's book is super good too

Edited by Hello from Russia

@Leo-Tzu

@BjarkeT

I would say Ayn Rand "Introduction to Objectivist Epistemeology". BUT! With one caveat, disregard the extreme Dogmatism of Objectivism. Better armed with a pickaxe, than just your fingernails. Yeah it's unholy, but useful, hence the caveat.

Thought that George Orwell "1984" was quite profound and well written. The double think phenomena left me puzzled like the protagonist, until I read Spinoza's "The Ethics" and realised it's real. The double think phenomena conferring perhaps a great advantage, not sure about the cost though.

Eckhart Tolle "The Power of Now". I think has much value potentially, later in life. Eckhart was influenced heavily by Carl.G.Jung. Though probably not going to sway many conservatively minded people, talking about Enlightenment and period blood.

"Psycho Cybernetics" If he only knew the power of the darkside!!!" I thought was a very good book. Probably will listen to it again on audible, sometime.

I thought Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise by K. Anders Ericsson, was a good to OK a book. talked about mastery in Korean GO players and World Chessmasters if I remember correctly. Preferred "Thinking Fast and Slow" By Daniel Kahneman ( Though could have been edited of anecdotes for brevity) Didn't think much of Cal Newport book/s though, listened to them a while a go. Got most of my audiobooks when they were on sale on Audible.

Started listening to "The Genius of Being" Peter Ralston, on Scribd. Sounds interesting so far.

One minor note, I think David Bowie was heavily influenced by Carl Jung, sure I read that somewhere. Kind of random but.......

Edited by RichardY

Stupid question here, but if I watched a ton of Eckhard's videos, is there any need of reading his book? Can't I grasp his vision with just his video content? I feel like the book might just repeat what I heard him said already.

@Leo-Tzu

1) Enlightenment trilogy by Jed mckenna

2) being aware of being aware by Rupert spira

3) The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy

4) Teaching of Ramana Maharshi in his own words.

5) Prior to Consciousness by Nisargadatta Maharaj 

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

13 hours ago, Fuku said:

Stupid question here, but if I watched a ton of Eckhard's videos, is there any need of reading his book? Can't I grasp his vision with just his video content? I feel like the book might just repeat what I heard him said already.

The books are a lot better than the talks. 

I read the books and listen to talks and while the talks may bring new content the books are a lot better and have more information.

Yeah I love Eckhart's sense of humor :D
Thanks everyone, gonna read the book.

@RichardY
I don't get your question, not sure if my english is failing me here but I'm pretty sure you listen to spiritual teachers to get their vision of life.

Pursuing Consciousness.

Not because it has the best content per say, but because it orients all the possible work you could do with yourself.

It tells you how, or at least the best way to hold enlightenment. 

It tells you what are your emotional problems and how you can work with them.

Yes it tells you but doesn't do it for you. 

You're pretty much left with working on it! There is a freeing feeling from realizing that this is the work that has to be done.

I am not 100% certain on that so I am working on it even with this uncertainty. Interestingly, now that I am writing this I could work at this uncertainty with the book itself.

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --