Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tropic Love

Does objective good and bad exist?

7 posts in this topic

According to the way the world works there is an objective good and bad. If you kill someone then the government will define that as objectively bad and you'll be sentenced to death. But I am wondering if it is bad in a realistic sense. Whenever you wash your hands you are killing either millions or billions of germs. Idk the number but they are creatures trying to survive. Sure, you could say "they are trying to kill me so they can survive" but that's just being hypocritical since you kill them so that you can survive longer. We even take hot showers with a smile on our face even though we are killing countless things. So everyone is basically a mass serial killer. There is really no reason to think that humans are better than germs just because germs are much smaller than us. We are even small ourselves. We consider the Earth to be big yet the sun can fit 1.3 million Earths. And apparently the sun is a really small star. Don't read this comment the wrong way and think it is fine to murder people. Keep in mind that human beliefs of thinking murder is wrong is important to have.

I see your point. 

We can not do everything and intention is more important. However, we can definitely stop exploiting animals for food and clothing because we know how  they suffer. On a relative level we can do a lot. On the absolute level everything is the same. 

Things seem to solve themselves when individuals get a deeper connection with the absolute reality. 

2 hours ago, Tropic Love said:

According to the way the world works there is an objective good and bad. If you kill someone then the government will define that as objectively bad and you'll be sentenced to death. But I am wondering if it is bad in a realistic sense. Whenever you wash your hands you are killing either millions or billions of germs. Idk the number but they are creatures trying to survive. Sure, you could say "they are trying to kill me so they can survive" but that's just being hypocritical since you kill them so that you can survive longer. We even take hot showers with a smile on our face even though we are killing countless things. So everyone is basically a mass serial killer. There is really no reason to think that humans are better than germs just because germs are much smaller than us. We are even small ourselves. We consider the Earth to be big yet the sun can fit 1.3 million Earths. And apparently the sun is a really small star. Don't read this comment the wrong way and think it is fine to murder people. Keep in mind that human beliefs of thinking murder is wrong is important to have.

You seem to be making the assumption that continued survival or persistence of some identity through time is good or bad, it would seem to require that one is some object capable assuming a polarity towards other objects for such a thing to appear true.

@Tropic Love Whether a government decides that murder is "bad" depends on the government and what the reason was for the murder. Consider Nazi Germany or any of the other similar governments. 

Only consciousness can attribute a value to anything and consciousness is pure subjectivity. Therefore, the idea of objective morality is an oxymoron.

@Tropic Love i don't know about you, but doing good to people feels viscerally good to me.

when i used to lie to others, it felt like i was suffocating my own heart.

unborn Truth

@Tropic Love There are two different angles of thought/experience I've taken in coming to the "conclusion" that good and evil don't evil. Before I was ever into self actualization or consciousness work, I was initially a Muslim who then turned atheist. One way to look at the universe is that its just matter and energy which is shuffling and moving around in accordance with the laws of the universe, the laws of physics. These laws are precise in the sense that identical starting conditions produce identical results in all instances. Humans are just a complex configuration of matter and energy obeying the laws of physics, and so we are no more ethically responsible for our actions than a tennis ball is ethically responsible for feeling the force of gravity and falling to the ground. 

Although the second angle is to do with meditation experiences, I'm running out of time to spend online and so imma just end it here. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.