Charlotte

Low iron

17 posts in this topic

Any ideas how to help the absorption of iron? 

Please :) ??

32 minutes ago, Feel Good said:

Take a very small amount of vitamin c (90mg) and a little soy with each meal.

That increases iron. 

Great suggestion with the Vitamin C !

I'd also add caution with drinks heavy on tannins like green tea and coffee. They block some iron absorbtion. Green tea is great but plan its consumption wisely : ) as per coffee...well that is a controversial topic on itself. 

Also, I'd suggest you look up "Gojiman" on youtube and his video in relationship to "iron". The dude is super knowledgeable and makes very educated videos about plant-based nutrition. 

And finally, make sure that in case your iron is low, there is not an underlying condition such as gastrointestinal bleeding somewhere in the digestive tract. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Feel Good @Michael569 Amazing advice guy's, I've bought some iron tablets with vit c. Feel good I'm vegan so no animal products and Michael I only drink decaf, would that be cleared as coffee still? (1 cup a day). 

Thank you guys as always ???

@Charlotte 1 cup a day is fine Charlotte ;) Just make sure to time it well, outside of your main dose of iron. 

Just wondering though...have you been tested for low iron or diagnosed with anaemia? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Handful of spinach a day should fix this. 3x more iron than in meat. I was iron deficient my whole life, now as a vegan started eating spinach and guess who's not defficient anymore :D 

Enzymes, Probiotics/Healthy Glut Flora in general will help absorption/digestion of nutrients and optimal circulation of most bodily functions.

B R E A T H E

Who told you this lie?

On 5/9/2018 at 10:18 AM, RabbitHole said:

Handful of spinach a day should fix this. 3x more iron than in meat. I was iron deficient my whole life, now as a vegan started eating spinach and guess who's not defficient anymore :D 

Popeye?

Spinach-bad elderberry-good.

Where do you think animals get their nutrients from and fish get their omega 3s from? Algae is the source of the all food chains and most nutrient rich foodstuff on the planet. Chlorella, Marine Phytoplankton are some other examples.

e7ffd01043acb47530915a7dcf97e7f8.jpg

1 tsp of spirulina or chlorella a day will give you all the daily iron and many other nutrients you need to stay healthy.

B R E A T H E

@Michael569 Just low iron, they were checking me for hereditary hemochromatosis believe it or not and found they were actually low. 

@RabbitHole I read somewhere that there is something in spinach that actually blocks the absorption of the iron :/

@Feel Good I bought them and then decided against them when I read the ingredients, full of bulking agents ? I'll go and buy some 100% iron water :)

@pluto Thanks dude! I have some spirulina in the kitchen but I remember micheal saying something about it isn't all its cracked up to be ? I'll look into the probiotics also, thanks so much ?

Edited by Charlotte

@Charlotte I understand. It all depends on the source and quality of the spirulina itself. Some are very clean and some not so much. Best to find what works best for you, try first thing in the morning and see how it makes you feel. I personally use either Spirulina or a Spirulina/Chlorella Mix for my super mineral greens :) a Tsp a day goes a long way.

B R E A T H E

@Charlotte you may also try Sun Chlorella as an alternative. Also good on Vitamin D and B12. They may be a bit pricey but 1500 pieces will last you for a while. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sun-Chlorella-Pack-1500-Tablets/dp/B0011UJCWK/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1536751080&sr=8-3&keywords=sun+chlorella 

10 of these tablets will get you around 3mg portion of iron which I believe is quite close to daily requirement for females (3-4)? This product is Highly absorbable as they use a powerful blending technique to break the cellular wall. Company is based in Kyoto, Japan and is probablu one of the highest quality Chlorella in the world cultivated in very tightly controlled environment unlike some crappy Chinese Chlorellas. 

If you top it up to like 20 a day, I'd say your values get back pretty quickly unless there is something else going on. 

@pluto Thank you so much Pluto for your help ? I did take 4 spirulina this morning and found I felt much more awake, wether that's because I had a good sleep or not I'm not sure but I definitely felt more focused and alert so early in the morning. 

@Michael569 Also Michael, thank you. I'll give them a shot and update. I'll purchase some now ?

@Scholar No this is an old rumor created by the anti-health corporations because these products make the drug business lose a lot of profit due of their extremely high de-toxifying abilities. When the tests and studies were made due to their impressive chemical makeup they actually contained less toxins and heavy metals than conventional fruit and veggies you buy at your local supermarket when compared.

Don't fall for the fear-based propaganda, be your own master, be your own expert, do your own work, be your own scientist and test it yourself. Sure there may be some more contaminated sources which is common sense to look for quality products but these products are health products in general and still are superior to regular products we consume on a day to day basis that don't have superior detoxifying abilities like these super-greens do so they still hold significantly more toxins and heavy metals yet no one talks about them because of the social norm to consume and not question.

I feel a million times better if i take a tsp of spirulina or chlorella in the morning with water than i would from any salad green or modern general health food today. My body is an instrument and direct expression of nature, i don't need to anything outside of myself to tell me whats doing me good and what is doing me harm.

If you live purely of what you read or hear you will never know and understand truth for what it really is.

Its common sense.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

16 hours ago, Scholar said:

@pluto @Michael569

Is chlorella and spirulina not dangerous due to it likely containing neurotoxins?

it can be, depends on how it is grown. That's why I advocated Sun Chlorella because it is one of the most pristine on the planet. I would never buy chlorella or spirulina from an unchecked source, way too much shit going on in that business.