Guest gilded_honour

How do you read books, in what formats and devices?

14 posts in this topic

On your tablet? Or Kindle? Or laptop? Or in the paper version?

usually, the paper version and I read free from distractions.

I bought laptop specifically for reading\journaling. I just prefer pc software over tablet software. I love PDF and read 99% of the time in PDF (specifically because of Foxit PDF, it is a great software). And don't love epub\mobi\kindle formats because it is incovinient as fuck to read usually. If you know good software for these formats - let me know

Edited by Hello from Russia

I read in the paper version a lot but I also have a Kindle. There are some Kindle exclusives.

I've never had habit of reading paper-cover books (maybe because I'm from a newer generation where media is prevalent)

I do read E-books thought, on Google Play Books with my smartphone or laptop.

In my opinion here are the benefits:

• e-book prices are lower than paper-cover, and I find Google e-book prices lower than Amazon's.
  • your library stays with you where-ever you go, and since its all store in google's cloud, you have access from any device with internet.
  • easy to read at night because of the back-light. This might be a negative point for some people, but I find newer smartphones all have night-light software feature that filters blue light. Also with the new OLED display technology, the phone's battery does drain as much. 

Hope I helped :D

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune

i prefere the paper version. there was an article some years ago about different reading habits in paper or on screen. the result was: words on paper stick longer.

for practicability on screen would be better.

and for waste reduction and distribution reasons it would be better to get them from libraries. will try to do that more in the future again (because i read less since i didn’t check out the sourrounding libraries yet)

i decided to mix it with only buying books that are somehow timeless, and if i won’t read those anymore i either put them in a box that says “to give away” in front of my door or i give them to this small book antique store around the corner. of course that’s only possible if they add some value.

i wouldn’t want to miss visiting small independent bookstores anymore.

in the end it depends on what you like better and what’s more practical to use for you.

Edited by now is forever

I usually read on my 13' inch laptop I bought specifically for reading. I love PDF's and use Foxit PDF software to read everything, it's very convenient

In all possible forms. I have paper books, ebooks and I listen audiobooks. The last ones I do in my car, while stuck in a traffic jam (at least some advantage of that ;) ), for the rest depends what's available, sometimes I actually like to have a paper copy to put on my shelf, it's easier to go back and forth with material (and they are easier on my eyes).  Ebooks can be easily downloaded and carried around (I can have hundreds of them with me at any time) - I read on my iPad.

Edited by YaMayka

As long as they're available in paper format, it's paper format.

I think I memorize things by visuals- fonts, font-spacing, layout, also book cover and size; and since Kindle versions have all the same fonts and layouts, I tend to forget every damn thing I read. So if at a later date, I want to look up something I read a few months ago, I can recall it easily depending on what side of the page it was and also the approximate page number (guessing from how thick each side of the book felt in my hands while I read that particular point). I also need to underline, doodle and write things in the margins all of which seem impossible in Kindle or any ebook version.

I will save trees in some other way. Or maybe plant a forest as an apology. 

I prefer paper format, but the truth is that physical copies are quite expensive. Another problem is a lack of storage place. So it's e-books mostly, using my Kindle. Though it's pretty sad that I can only highlight quotes or ideas I liked and can't make my personal notes with a pencil. That's an old habit of mine and it's hard to get rid of. 

I use Kindle a lot. E-readers are worth it if you read a lot, it doesn't need to be a Kindle. Kindle is great if you are not native speaker, because it has a dictionary function.

Downside is that they are a bit pricy, I bought a used one for 40€. They are really durable so getting a used one is a good idea. 

I also use libraries, especially if I want to read in Slovenian. 

Mostly audiobooks. I like to 'read' on the bus and I like that I can do it with my eyes closed :P