LiakosN

A question about "Projection"

17 posts in this topic

Hey, what's up my friends ?

If, let's say, I talk with someone and suddenly this thought comes in my mind: he is is cold-hearted and rude at me". If I turn it around "I am cold-hearted and rude at him". And then suddenly I realize that this is true. Why does my mind projects ? Why I project my own thoughts on someone else? What kind of game is this?

Thanks!

You've slept a hundred nights, And what has it brought you? For your self, for your God, Wake up! Wake up! Sleep no more.

7 minutes ago, LiakosN said:

Hey, what's up my friends ?

If, let's say, I talk with someone and suddenly this thought comes in my mind: he is is cold-hearted and rude at me". If I turn it around "I am cold-hearted and rude at him". And then suddenly I realize that this is true. Why does my mind projects ? Why I project my own thoughts on someone else? What kind of game is this?

Thanks!

Ego/thought-self projects an image of another out of its own conditioned movement.   The ego (self-image) then has relationship with this projected image.  One's self-image feeds/perpetuates the projected image, and the projected image feeds/perpetuates the self-image.   They are co-feeding, co-perpetuating.   

Projecting images upon others is what sustains-reinforces ego/self-image, which is why ego loves to do so. 

@LiakosN it's because you cannot verify your own self image empirically to yourself. Because that self image itself is false, hollow and untrue.

So you project this self image and it gets reflected back to you by other people and circumstances and thus get verified to you. 

This is something we're constantly doing. Projecting our self image, worth, opinions, thoughts and emotions outward so that they can be reflected back to us. But if you inquire into the same images honestly by yourself, you find them to be utterly false and arbitrary. 

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

The self-image projects an image of another, which serves as a reinforcement of the self-image.   "That person is rude" reinforces the self-image's "politeness."  "That person is unintelligent" reinforces the self-image's "intelligence."   "I respect that person's work ethic" validates-reinforces the self-image's "work ethic."  "That person has good taste" reinforces the self-image's "good taste." The ego, through comparison-labelling-acceptance-rejection, is able to validate-reinforce itself from projected image-making.

Edited by robdl

This is how we can learn through relationship.  The images we project onto others reflect-indicate the self-image making in ourselves.

21 minutes ago, robdl said:

Ego/thought-self projects an image of another out of its own conditioned movement.   The ego (self-image) then has relationship with this projected image.  One's self-image feeds/perpetuates the projected image, and the projected image feeds/perpetuates the self-image.   They are co-feeding, co-perpetuating.   

Projecting images upon others is what sustains-reinforces ego/self-image, which is why ego loves to do so. 

Indeed so...

fear evading the fact of itself, which then seeks security in the abstraction, (image). 

(Psychological time-fear) in resistance to what is. 

4 minutes ago, Faceless said:

then has relationship with this projected image.

Self-thought out of fear invents an image, and once that image is invented self-thought depends on that image being maintained-sustained. If it is not sustained that is a threat to self-thought, and there comes the inevitable conflict. For thought to seek security in the image, (the pursuit of pleasure), is to also invite another manifestation of that same movement of fear escaping itself, (pain). 

Edited by Faceless

Another interesting thing about ego/self-image and this projected image-making of others is that it may flatter ego/self-image a lot of the time, but it also may worsen self-image, i.e. "That person is so much more successful than me. Wish I had their life."   So the ego may be positively or negatively nourished by its projected image-making, but the key thing is the nourishment/perpetuation.  Both positive-negative nourishment sustain ego/self-image just the same.

The self seeking security in thought, and fear in perpetual movement away from itself, is one and the same movement of desire in the pursuit of pleasure. 

4 minutes ago, robdl said:

Another interesting thing about ego/self-image and this projected image-making of others is that it may flatter ego/self-image a lot of the time, but it also may worsen self-image, i.e. "That person is so much more successful than me. Wish I had their life."   So the ego may be positively or negatively nourished by its projected image-making, but the key thing is the nourishment/perpetuation.  Both positive-negative nourishment sustain ego/self-image just the same.

Indeed..

Any movement of the self implies self sustainment. The self has a function, and that is to nourish its own continuity. Without that pattern of operation, self-thought looses its role and function. The operation of this mechanism is to keep itself in motion. 

Well said @robdl

Edited by Faceless

3 minutes ago, Faceless said:

The self seeking security in thought, and fear in perpetual movement away from itself, is one and the same movement of desire in the pursuit of pleasure. 

But desire can be healthy/good and fear is typically bad -- they're two distinctly different things. Of course the source for this is thought, so the source's credibility is dubious. :P

2 hours ago, Preetom said:

@LiakosN it's because you cannot verify your own self image empirically to yourself. Because that self image itself is false, hollow and untrue.

So you project this self image and it gets reflected back to you by other people and circumstances and thus get verified to you. 

This is something we're constantly doing. Projecting our self image, worth, opinions, thoughts and emotions outward so that they can be reflected back to is. But if you inquire into the same images honestly by yourself, you find them to be utterly false and arbitrary. 

I really like this, thanks.  Also your sig is great.  

Grace

1 hour ago, MiracleMan said:

I really like this, thanks.  Also your sig is great.  

You're welcome. Happy inquiry :)

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@MiracleMan what do you mean 'verify'? I didn't get it. 

You've slept a hundred nights, And what has it brought you? For your self, for your God, Wake up! Wake up! Sleep no more.

Just found a video of T. Swan about Projection. I don't know why, but some things she says does not make sense to me. Do you agree with what she says ? 

I don't know why, but some things she says does not make sense to me. Do you agree with what she says ? 

Yeah, I can't really reject anything she says, even if I've never thought about certain aspects of it (around 9 min, like whether the person being projected onto is a "vibrational match." It's difficult to say who wouldn't be a vibrational match, since all human beings have all the archetypes, so it may be an insignificant distinction.)

Edited by Haumea2018