Sashaj

Does everyone here meditate?

18 posts in this topic

I mean traditional sitting meditation on a daily basis

What type of meditation do you do?

Do you alternate with self-inquiry or other practices? 

How has it changed over months or years?

breathing is my continuous meditation

tracking awareness is the type of meditation practice

though not as formally defined, i include:

kriya yoga or stretching & myofascial release or deep/rhythmic/holotropic breathing exercises when resistance arises

the key being facing resistance, allowing it to be a teacher

over the years it has boiled down to this in its simplicity, the biggest catalyst for change being adoption of a holistic approach in seeking to be mindful

how do you carry out meditation?

n͇̟̦͉̞ͨ̄̂̅ͬ͒͐̒ͫạ͎̹̰̲̣̙̬̟̝̘͖͐ͪ̋ͩm͚̞̹̻̜̮̼̣̤͖͚̯͕̣̮̝̥̓̋̿͒̍a̞̠̫͖͙̻̟̹̳̥͉͔̳̤ͨ̇̿̉̇̃͊͒͑̽ͨ̎̒ͥ̊͂ͫ̐s̝̮̥͕̯̗̫͕̒ͥͪ̾̀ͦͫ̀̚ͅt̪̮̯̯ͪͨͨ́͗ͪͫ͌͆̅ͦ̾̌ͥͣͥͥe̻͚͚̘̞͉̥͍͗̈̋̎̌̋ͨͯ̏̈́ͅ

- yawning gap

"embrace your inner pain. in hopelessness, you will find bliss. to be mindful all the time you need to have attention on the breath as second nature." - hellspeed

The single most important thing for self development and enlightenment is Meditation.

Now choose how serious you are with this work. It’s up to you.

I started out doing open monitoring now i’ve transitioned into a self-inquiring/aware of awareness type of meditation which has been huge for me.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I’ve been practicing meditation for over two years and it’s still hard to clearly see it’s entire effect. My point is you got to trust the process a little. If i had to do only one practice it would be meditation. 

Every morning i do an hour of kriya wich ends with about 10/15 minutes of concentration. I always do all the excersices as mindful as possible. Before going to bed i do half an hour of vipassana on most days. Sometimes i do 45 minutes to an hour and switch up the techniques, as long as it’s one that leads to an empty mind. 

I'm sure that not everyone here meditates, but it's one of the biggies.

I do ~70 mins of formal Vipassana sits a day, but I'm also on my breath a lot while my day is going on. 

If you aren't currently doing it, trust that it gets way easier after you build up the habit. The first month is tough because you'll probably have to make yourself do it each day.

@cirkussmile @PsiloPutty @Mart

question please

Leo said in his videos about meditation that one should start meditation of at least 20 mins a day, everyday, no breaks in between

while doing this - he said slowly but surely insights and "gains" will occur

did you try this process? if i just sit each day and do the 20 mins "do-nothing" meditation for a year. is that potential for some change in personal devleopment? or shud i do another 20 minute mediation instead of do-nothing

thanks

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

@Sashaj My goal is to meditate for 20 minutes a day.  Factually, I accomplish this on 50-60% of days.  

@SoonHei  If you do 20 mins/day for a year, you will definitely make some huge changes for the better in your life. Do Nothing is fine, but I usually go with breath-focused Vipassana. You will be happier and calmer for sure.

The happier and calmer aspects are almost guaranteed, along with a long list of other possibilities. You'll almost certainly feel more connected to your real self. For me, it's like getting to know myself and how things work inside. Best thing I've done for myself in many years. Maybe consider it.  :)

lately I've just been contemplating and clearing my mind whenever I'm waiting for water to boil, walking by myself, wake up in the middle of the night, etc. when school starts I'll be sitting for 30 mins in the early morning (I hope!)

but years ago, over 20 years ago, no internet, no teacher, I just had one book that I found in the library "the psychology of mystical awakening" I tried to follow the practices in the book on my own

I did yoga stretches for half an hour then I sat in meditation for half an hour

I also played sanskrit chants of the patanjali yoga sutras and spent some time every day reading my book over and over again (I eventually bought a copy)

a lot of stuff happened because I did that, but at the time I just had no idea what it was and also since the stuff happening never happened while I was meditating I didn't even really think that was the cause

but I now I know it was!

things like all of the sudden I would start laughing and crying at how perfect the universe was! lol but I thought I had too much caffeine or something

so it does work even if you have no idea what you're doing, the trick for me is to stick with it, I've been on a 20 year break to do some more suffering, my mind loves taking me in the opposite direction lol but maybe I'm ready now...

2 hours ago, Strikr said:

meditation is a way, not the only one, for me get clean of all my thought and "becoming the music" is how I do it.

How you do that? 

How can you talk about meditation if you haven’t tried it? 

Egos have so many ideas about how it should be done when silence is the real Guru

4 hours ago, cirkussmile said:

silence is the real Guru

:x

ň͇̗̙̟̞̬̩̈́͐͛̿ͅä̦͎̝̪̥̳̰̤̰͇̲̳̖̬̼ͯ̀̈͛͋ͤͭ̂m͍͙͉̘͙̝̳̫̝̯̬͌͊̎̋̌͊̎̋͆̆̌̋́͋ͮͮ͋̈́̉a͍̝̥̫͕̦͔̼ͣ̈̾̾ͧ̒ͭ̈́ͮ͛ͧͮ̅͋̋s̹̞͙͎̻̼̭̟̱̣ͬ̀ͪ̌ͭ̓̋̃t̲̠̫͉̫̖͕͙̬̗̺͉͈̥͒̌̏͗ͤͫ̿̀̆ͤ̓̾̎ͅͅẹ̻̟̝̲͉̥͗̂̃͑ͯͩ͑ͮ͊̄ͪ̾͐

- yawning gap

"embrace your inner pain. in hopelessness, you will find bliss. to be mindful all the time you need to have attention on the breath as second nature." - hellspeed

Great answers!

I meditate on the breath mostly, 20-30mins a day

Letting go, surrendering is the most important aspect in my experience

Have started looking into self enquiry as a kind of brute force awakening tool :) I 

questions and answers often come up spontaneously during sitting meditation, usually towards that end of a session, when the thoughts calm down  and awareness is stronger

I did a 10 day Vipassana retreat many years ago. It was ok but found the process a bit intense. However I did have a strong insight that changed something permanently 

Edited by Sashaj

@Sashaj

copacetic :x

indeed letting go and surrendering are of the utmost importance...

ń̼̤̻͙̠͙̮͖͈̜̤͗ͮ͋̈́ͩ̋̋͌̊̔̔ͥ̅ͧă͕̜͔̯̝͕͚͓̣̲̦͇̞͇̠̰̭͙ͮ̓̾̒ͭ̈̎ͅm̭͚͍̗͕̮̹̥̎͂̈̈ͦͅâ͓̦̲̹̻̜̓̐̏̀ͫ̆̍͆ͩ̅̅ͤ͊s̯̱͉͍̲͇̖͕͇̥̣̟̮̬̝̐ͣͮ͗ͥͧ̊̏̓t̘̤̱̦̦͇̼̫̮̓͌̍̌ͨ̏͒ͬ̓͒̒ͣͦ̿ͅē̤͓̪̋̉̀ͤ͋

- yawning gap

@yawning_

38 minutes ago, yawning_ said:

@Sashaj

copacetic :x

indeed letting go and surrendering are of the utmost importance...

ń̼̤̻͙̠͙̮͖͈̜̤͗ͮ͋̈́ͩ̋̋͌̊̔̔ͥ̅ͧă͕̜͔̯̝͕͚͓̣̲̦͇̞͇̠̰̭͙ͮ̓̾̒ͭ̈̎ͅm̭͚͍̗͕̮̹̥̎͂̈̈ͦͅâ͓̦̲̹̻̜̓̐̏̀ͫ̆̍͆ͩ̅̅ͤ͊s̯̱͉͍̲͇̖͕͇̥̣̟̮̬̝̐ͣͮ͗ͥͧ̊̏̓t̘̤̱̦̦͇̼̫̮̓͌̍̌ͨ̏͒ͬ̓͒̒ͣͦ̿ͅē̤͓̪̋̉̀ͤ͋

- yawning gap

It’s the secret sauce :ph34r: :)