Rilles

If You Ever Feel Too Lazy To Meditate...

7 posts in this topic

“Legend has it that Bodhidharma initially refused to teach Huike. Huike stood in the snow outside Bodhidharma’s cave all night, until the snow reached his waist. In the morning Bodhidharma asked him why he was there. Huike replied that he wanted a teacher to "open the gate of the elixir of universal compassion to liberate all beings".

Bodhidharma refused, saying, “how can you hope for true religion with little virtue, little wisdom, a shallow heart, and an arrogant mind? It would just be a waste of effort.” [6]

Finally, to prove his resolve, Huike cut off his left arm and presented it to the First Patriarch as a token of his sincerity. Bodhidharma then accepted him as a student, and changed his name from Shenguang to Huike, which means "Wisdom and Capacity".[b”

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Am I the only one who thought that was going to end with a punchline about him cutting off his arm?    xD

@PsiloPutty If you see the Buddha... CUT OFF HIS ARM xD

Anway I like this story, it shows how privileged we are to have all this knowledge of non-duality, imagine cutting off your arm for a new Leo video...:D

Edited by Rilles

I can't meditate for longer than 5 or 10 minutes without getting distracted by thoughts or the environment (and not returning to meditation).

Maybe if someone threatened to cut my arm if I don't meditate for hours, then I'd greatly improve my meditation time.

...that is, until I see the truth and stop caring about losing my arm. 

Edited by Sbilko

@Sbilko The more you do it the easier it becomes, after a while it becomes spontaneous and you dont even need to sit down to do it. :)

@Rilles They say, practice makes perfect. Developing extraordinary mindfulness isn't something which happens in a day, or a year. 

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

Who keeps going eventually reaches the destination. But there is no destination in this case. ?