dude

Shamanic Breathing Mega-Thread

391 posts in this topic

Trip #1: 15 minutes

After about only a minute, I could see that this was going to be hard. Breathing like this consistently feels very unnatural and uncomfortable. Plus, I was starting to get the "pins and needles" effect Leo was talking about all throughout my body.

I kept going, and the next thing I remember, my eyes opened and I had stopped doing the breathing technique.

I have no idea if I passed out or what happened. I never heard my alarm go off to signal the end of the 15 minutes.

Laid there for about another 10 minutes or so. Initially my entire body was still forcibly vibrating, but it diminished as time went on, ending with my hands.

The afterglow was nice. Very calm and peaceful. No negative emotions surfacing.

Lesson: Try doing Shamanic breathing first thing in the morning. May be easier to stay conscious.

I did it for 53 minutes after which my will was low plus i needed to pee really bad lol (don't drink hours before)

So, basically i've only ever tried weed once but it was like that, not any noticeable dissociation from the body experienced but, i had a load of buzzing/tingling and noises (some ringing, some static) in the ears, which varied in location and intensity throughout, and continued for a while once i finished.

I definitely got a lot quieter and slower with the breathing over time, i don't know if that's ok or if you should maintain the same level of energy into the breathing throughout the whole thing? I think at one point i kind of dipped into sleep and then out again, i had to remind myself what i was doing, but i don't know if i necessarily stopped, it was a bit of a blank moment.

I listened to this music on a really low volume. I've heard that with OBEs you shouldn't listen to anything and should reduce the amount of stimuli you're exposed to because apparently you can experience them more potently as you leave. With sounds, especially if you left from your head, they'd become super loud. So i thought if this breathing technique has the potential to lead to an OBE it might be best to keep the sound volume very low.

8 hours ago, Egosum said:

If anyone is curious about how this technique works, I recommend reading this paper by Bernardo Kastrup: http://jcn.cognethic.org/jcnv4i3_Kastrup.pdf

Here's the most relevant part (under "Cerebral Hypoxia"):

"Fainting or near-fainting caused by restrictions of oxygen supply to the brain is known to induce liberating feelings of self-transcendence. For instance, the potentially fatal ‘choking game’ played by teenagers worldwide (Macnab 2009) is an attempt to induce such feelings through partial strangulation (Neal 2008, 310–315). The psychotherapeutic technique of holotropic breathwork (Rhinewine & Williams 2007), as well as more traditional yogic breathing practices, use hyperventilation to achieve similar effects: by increasing blood alkalinity levels, they interfere with normal oxygen uptake in the brain and ultimately lead to what is described as an expansion of ordinary awareness (Taylor 1994). Even straightforward hyperventilation outside a therapeutic context can lead to self-transcending experiences, such as described in this anecdotal—though representative—report:

One of us stood against a tree and breathed deeply for a while and then took a very deep breath. Another pushed down hard on his ribcage ... This rendered the subject immediately unconscious ... When I tried it, I didn’t think it would work, but then suddenly I was in a meadow which glowed in yellow and red, everything was extremely beautiful and funny. This seemed to last for ages. I must say that I have never felt such bliss ever again. (Retz 2007)"

And this is from Kastrup's book "Dreamed Up Reality" (p. 37):

«The main causal element in the efficacy of Holotropic Breathwork seems to be the intensified breathing, or voluntary hyperventilation. Hyperventilation is known to raise the alkalinity level of the blood and cause constriction of blood vessels in the brain. This, naturally, perturbs ordinary brain function and is a reason why lightheadedness and fainting are sometimes observed in association with hyperventilation. Interestingly, in an article published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, it has been suggested that, through a process related to psychological dissociation, Holotropic Breathwork may reduce the efficacy of certain brain filters, «resulting in disinhibition of previously avoided or suppressed internal stimuli.[27]»

That was a good read! This one and some other research I did yesterday makes me wonder if this technique is really as safe as thought since you are in fact decreasing the blood flow to the brain. Of course extreme hypoxia can lead to even death but in a case of a breathing technique would be nice to know if there is a possibility for brain damage, even a small one...wouldn't wanna risk that ?

@Lurtsi Yeah, I'm also afraid to risk brain damage. So I'm probably not going to try it. 

That was intense! I felt like shit all day so I knew it was going to be difficult, but when I pulled through, a lot of tension left the body. I can see how this could lead to psychedelic experiences. The whole thing feels kind of odd. Very peaceful though, especially afterwards.

About to start this, thought i'd kick it up a notch by rubbing vicks vaporub on my chest. Shit is going to get wild.

Man, this might be the most useful technique I've come across lately. I've been meditating for 2 years now non-stop every day with little to no results. The lack of results probably have to do with my ADHD and inability to concentrate for long periods of time, so I just always end up being in monkey mind for the entire duration of my meditation sessions.

However, here my intention was to do 15 minutes of breathing and 10 minutes of letting go at the end, but surprisingly ended up doing nearly an hour and half overall!

I prepared all my blankets, also played some compilation of music that I found on YouTube and off I went. The breathing itself can be quite difficult to maintain for longer periods of time, as others have stated, however the reason why I think I managed to continuously keep breathing without feeling dizzy or passing out is because this was the first thing I did in the morning and I also didn't have breakfast so I was on an empty stomach. As soon as the 15 minutes had ended I stopped breathing and let the tingling sensations in my body gradually end. I also experienced my jawline "shaking" many times, just like a few of you have stated. I also felt tension being released from other parts of my body, mainly my legs and feet. I guess the devil was leaving my body? As soon as most of the sensations disappeared, I did 7-8 more breathing cycles, after which the sensations started coming back. As soon as they were gone again, I did 7-8 cycles again. I kept doing this until there were hardly any sensations occurring in/leaving my body after breathing, and this led to an overall 1 hour 24 minute "trip" (if you can even call it that). I actually spent more time in the "cool-down/letting go period" than the actual breathing period. After I was done I sat up in lotus position and I felt energy being released into both of my legs, which lasted for 3-4 minutes. It was probably the healing of all that tenseness that was released. After you're done you'll feel a sense of peacefulness/calmness. I also noticed myself being more mindful of making my breakfast, and having a shower. I don't yet know whether there's going to be any effects noticeable in the next upcoming days, but I'll definitely be doing this breathing technique once a week as I can definitely see this being very beneficial.

Miscellaneous lessons learned:

Lesson #1: When you are preparing your blankets, make sure you put something soft under your butt. Having felt like my butt was pressing against a very hard surface was the least comfortable part throughout the trip.

Lesson #2: Having read all your trip reports, I think it's safe to say that if you're planning to use this technique, definitely do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, otherwise (especially if you have eaten beforehand) you'll most likely feel dizzy or pass out.

20 minutes i probably stopped breathing like 8 times i could only get around 20-30 in and outs and would zone out to find myself just resting for a while, would start off again and the most i was able to do without stopping and zoning out was about 40 in outs. I experienced fire in my hands, a burning sensation which was very uncomfortable but i was able to leave it be, it was a crazy feeling and look forward to trying it again. 

Edited by MisterMan

Wait a second, isn't this exactly the so called "runner's high"? We just recreate it on a home setting.

It makes perfect sense since when you run you have this exact same breathing pattern. 

I tried Wim Hof breathing method for a few weeks. Seems to be a lighter version of the exercise. Wim Hof holds a few world-records in stuff like being immersed in ice-cold water for an hour. He's also promoting deep breathing for healing (the physical body as well as the emotional).  Watch the mini class  or other videos you can find.

The difference is, for beginners at least, he's not recommending 30+min sessions, but simply 3x30-40 breaths with holds inbetween every morning (followed by a cold shower.) So that's what I did. This is my experience:

• 30-40 breaths is enough to make me dizzy and my nose tingling. On holding my breath in between the session, the mind got very peaceful.
  • On the first few trials I got into extatic emotional states. Later it wasn's so pronounced.
  • The exercise certainly facilitates emotional release, not just in the moment but also later. During the days, issues came up. 
  • There's also this build up - after two weeks of consistent practice, I actually felt like I was in an emotional whirlwind, and had to take a break for a few days to calm down. 
  • You have to spend the energy which has been stirred up somehow. So, exercising more and taking those cold showers makes sense.
  • A surprising effect is, I think I got better with my visual imagination. 

I did it for about a month (with said break), then I fell off track. I'm bad in keeping habits, but this is a good habit. I'll try to pick it up again. (I'm also looking forward to trying the holotropic breathwork seminar.)

Bottom line is, you can also do the breathing for a short time but every day, it's gonna have effects. (As usual, Leo is hardcore with his routines, which is ok, but you do have more gradual options.) The second message is, if you're worried about the health effects, there are actually people who have practiced the Wim Hof method for quite a while and there's research on them. 

Edited by Elisabeth

I wasn't able to do 5 minutes. I have fear that something is going to happen to me. The first thing that happens is coldness behind my eyes it feels weird. 

Can someone link proof that this is safe for the average person that doesn't have problems? I will try to push it further later today but I want the assurance to be able to do it more.

Sigh I have this attitude towards just breathing. What the hell would I do if it were psychedelics? xD

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

11 hours ago, Sage_Elias said:

My five (5) year old nephew has sickle cell and I was wondering if Shamanic Breathing could heal him.

The disease is as a result of a lack of oxygen circulating in the body. This happens because the red blood cells which carry oxygen easily clog up the arteries since they are shaped like a banana instead of circular in shape.

Leo mentioned that Shamanic breathing skyrockets the levels of oxygen circulation in the body.

any experts here?

@Sage_Elias I'm not an expert, know very little about sickle cell, and have yet to try the shamanic breathing exercise (but am excited af to do so sometime), however I wouldn't recommend this for your nephew's situation (again, not an expert). 

Shamanic / holotropic breathing surely skyrockets the levels of oxygen circulating in the body (since you are breathing in more air), but this does not necesarilly mean that the body's tissues absorb that oxygen and become oxygenated and healthy. 

For this, we want to actually increase the levels of co2 in the body by breathing less. CO2 is necessary to transport oxygen from the blood to tissues (see the "Bohr Effect". I have personally had great results with "buteyko breathing", as described in this website:

https://www.normalbreathing.com/s/treat-sickle-cell-anemia-natural.php

and in Patrick Mckeown's book "The Oxygen Advantage", and in other places.

Combined with exercise, it's a great way to get some serious health gains. One of my favorite breathing health hacks is to tape your mouth shut when sleeping, I imagine this could help.

Best of luck. 

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

30 minutes ago, Phrae said:

I wasn't able to do 5 minutes. I have fear that something is going to happen to me.

@Phrae  You want assurance but everybody is different. Just from your statement here it would probably be best to stay with something you feel more comfortable with to be on the safe side. When you feel your ready you can take on something a bit more adventurous like this. Think about it. Coldness behind the eyes is freaking you out. How are you going to handle becoming completely detached from your body? Which could very well happen.

5 hours ago, Lora said:

@Lurtsi Yeah, I'm also afraid to risk brain damage. So I'm probably not going to try it. 

Unless you have some physical affliction, that sounds like what your ego wants you to think.

@PsiloPutty But the ego doesn't want anything. The ego is a concept in a limited/dual experience. It's connected to all of the universe. If what you were saying were true, it would mean that you want Lora to think that.

After the 45 minute session yesterday, today I feel the muscles in my neck are quite sore, which makes sense. I had my head turned upward for a good chunk of time as I breathed. When I bend over and touch my toes and let my head hang down, it feels tender inside. Not really a headache, but more like the feeling you get in your head after puking strenuously the day before. Like the dura mater around the brain is tighter than usual. 

Those are the physical after effects for me. The mental feeling now is basically good, except maybe I feel a little peevish and grumpy. Could be the ego kicking, like Leo warned about in the video, or maybe it's just my emotional reaction to the slight physical discomforts I'm feeling this morning. I might do another session tonight, but only if the soreness has subsided. I don't want to add soreness on top of soreness.

4 minutes ago, i am I AM said:

@PsiloPutty But the ego doesn't want anything. The ego is a concept in a limited/dual experience. It's connected to all of the universe. If what you were saying were true, it would mean that you want Lora to think that.

I can understand what your saying.....but only as a concept. I don't KNOW what you're saying. And yes, I posted that so maybe Lora would read it, think about it, and decide that it was just ego/fear that was holding her/him back on this. In a physically healthy person, what might be holding her/him back here, if not ego-induced fear? I'm asking humbly, as someone who is genuinely curious.

Yo this method is legit. Feel very concious after that. Pay attention, shit gets weird towards the end of this post.

I'm like 5 minutes fresh out of my first session. Played some tribal drumming and practed  for 30 minutes. 

For the first few minutes nothing happened, which is perfect for practicing the method so that you can keep the rhythm going.

Then my conciousness began to focus, a little bit of tingling in the hands. Nothing out of the ordinary.

This built up gradually over the course of 15 minutes, i was very focused, but struggled to maintain a steady rhythm breathing.

At around the 20 minute mark, my torso and upper back started convulsing. I was moving around like I was possessed, it was concious, I was controlling the movement, but I was compelled to do it in a way i cant fully describe. It wasn't harsh movements, ver comfortable, but significant. It was like i had too much energy and needed to release it.

That stopped after a few minutes, then i felt fibration in my right cheek. Intense. It spread to my nose and mouth. Then my whole head, i tried moving the vibration around my body, and i could conciously control it! What the fuck?! Eventually it settled on my chest, upper back and head and became more and more intense. 

I came to realise that it was real movement, not just a feeling. I was actually vibrating. If you were looking at me, it wouldnt have been noticable, it was very small vibrations, like on the atomic level, but very intense.

It felt like every wave of vibration was like a frame of the universe, just like how tvs run at 25 frames per second, my body felt like it ran at 300 frames per second.

I did this right before bed, might experience some weird dreams. Cant wait to find out!

@cetus56 I mean I have always noticed the dizziness that comes after breathing rapidly and I think I read somewhere it can cause fainting so I have these beliefs around it. 

I mean it's situational fear, like something really really bad is going to happen to me. It's fear of death I think. I fear that I am gonna be gone I guess when I really think about it. It feels I am pushing through death when I'm really not? It almost felt weirdly like the urge to breath when I'm out of breath. It doesn't make it any better to use an analogy of another dimension of the same thing.

I think this is all thought I will see what happens when I try again today.

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

After yesterday I tried it again today because I felt like I could take it a little bit farther.

Used shamanic music instead of the Lo-Fi beats I had last time.

Duration: I think 20 minutes of breathing 10 minutes afterward of weird shit.

Started slowly doing it everything started tingeling again. After about 10 minutes I started swaying by body from left to right trying to get in more of a trance getting myself out of my head into my body. This worked, very well! Sway left breath in, sway right breath out and so on. after 5 minutes of doing that I noticed that I was breathing with my throat a little bit constricted so I started breathing with it wide open. This catapulted the effects, couldn't move or feel my hands they were fisting up to the point that I thought it was not really healthy to pinch them together so hard lol. *Next time I will keep my thumbs outside of my fist.* My jaw was tingeling not as much as last time tough, I couldn't move my feet anymore. When I felt like stopping I stopped, I think I was 20 minutes in I don't know tho I couldn't move its hard to look at you mobile that way.

After I stopped I was kind of stressing out that I couldn't move anything, I started crying and rolling around a bit. Then I stopped and everything was peaceful. I don't cry a lot so this was weird for me but it felt really good afterwards. Than I just layed on the ground like a disabled person, when I calmed down and stood up there were 28 minutes on the timer.