dude

Shamanic Breathing Mega-Thread

391 posts in this topic

Is it normal with pain in the chest after doing shamanic breathing? Have i damged my chest?

I have had this pain in my chest some few hours after the shamanic breathing

@Peo I don't think it's usual, but I don't think you've damaged your chest either. What kind of pain? 

It could be sore muscles, it could be some emotion coming up. (The last, very unlikely, thing that comes to mind is a heart problem.)

Some emotion can be physically painful:

Edited by Elisabeth

@Elisabeth It is just a physical pain. It is to the left side of my heart. I highly doubt it is an emotion, but i never know. I have done shamanic breathing 2 times before, never had any problem with physical pain. I hope it goes away tomorrrow.

7 minutes ago, Peo said:

@Elisabeth It is just a physical pain. It is to the left side of my heart. I highly doubt it is an emotion, but i never know. I have done shamanic breathing 2 times before, never had any problem with physical pain. I hope it goes away tomorrrow.

I hope so too. Could it be an overstrained muscle?

46 minutes ago, Elisabeth said:

Could it be an overstrained muscle?

Maybe

I had to stop earlier than I planned because my muscle spasms started getting painful. I had pretty intense spasms in my hands and arms. Should I do something about them or just keep on going the same way?

I am going to starting soon with Shamanic breathing. Does anyone have success with it regarding dissolving emotional trauma?

Just did my second 20 min session followed by 15 mins of lying down. 

It was one of the most powerful experiences I've had. I can't even remember most of it eventhough I just got done with it. My arms started moving by themselves and my whole body was vibrating with a certain energy. It was so intense but also quite uncomfortable. I really felt like I was facing death. Fear came up. But I faced it full on to the best of my abilities and see what more was there. Towards the end I felt quite peaceful. 

All of this basically start right after I stop the breathing and continue laying down for 15 mins. It hits me soo fast and so deep. Thank you Leo for sharing this with us :) I will be making this a regular practice now 

Edited by Chi_

@Cocolove Thank you! :) For how long have you been practicing? And do you see results in the department of working with supressed emotions/trauma? 

@Sage_Elias  Research Buteyko Breathing

This oxygenates the body more than shamanic breathing.

Very counter intuitive.

By breathing less your cells get more oxygen.

I used to do much deep breathing exercises. They are effective.

Now I practice reduced breathing. Also effective.

Hey guys, I have been doing shamanic breathing 3 days in a row now and realized that 20 mins is already very intense for me. I was thinking of doing it everyday till I ramp it up to a longer time and then take it slow after that but then Leo talks about only doing this once in a while and he gives a few options of how often to do it.

It seems like it will take me ages to ramp it up to 90 mins. Should I stop doing it daily and stick to one of the options that Leo suggested? (once a week, once every 2 weeks and so on...)

Edited by Chi_

@Chi_ It's similar to Wim Hof's method and he recommends doing it daily. It is however a lot more intense, so I would just spontaneously decide depending on how you feel. If traumas surface or something crazy happens, you may want to have some rest days. If nothing too intense happens and you feel capable of doing it daily then do it. 

gradually increase the duration (only if you feel ready), eventually some tough experiences will probably happen, then you can naturally reduce the number of days you do it.

Some questions: 

1. Has anyone been doing the shamanic breathing regularly for a year? What changes? what can one expect after a year?

2. After about 20 minutes doing it, the vibrations become very intense such that I stop. Does the intensity of the vibrations keep increasing or will it plateau before my hands explode?xD

5 minutes ago, Chi_ said:

@GreenWoods  Really appreciate your reply! :)

no problem:)

I think our situation is quite similar. I have also done it 3 times now (also on subsequent days) and also manage only about 20 minutes.

After the 20 minutes when it gets too intense, I pause for perhaps one or two min till the peak is over and keep going. So it's like edging. I think in this way you can very gradually and mindfully test how far you currently can go. I have seen almost no one mention this though, so I hope it is save, but I am very sure it is

Been doing shamanic breathing the last couple days and i have been getting this sensation in my body that something is going to explode. It feels like the airbags of a car are about to go off or someone is gonna scare you from around the corner. The next step for me is to locate where this is happening in my experience. 

so i am doing the breathing for quite some time now (once a week), and my muscles would always get tense and i would stay very awake and aware to what s going on. but about a month ago i had a really big emotional baggage release and i stopped getting the tense feelings and just breath without feeling any bodily sensation and after about 15 minutes into the breathing i just disconnect and it feels like im in a dream like state and my breath becomes normal when im like that and it ruins the whole session.

so bottom line, do you have any tips for staying awake and aware during the breathing? (I've added beeps every minute and also trying to do that with eyes open but nothing seems to help)

2 hours ago, Dima logach said:

so i am doing the breathing for quite some time now (once a week), and my muscles would always get tense and i would stay very awake and aware to what s going on. but about a month ago i had a really big emotional baggage release and i stopped getting the tense feelings and just breath without feeling any bodily sensation and after about 15 minutes into the breathing i just disconnect and it feels like im in a dream like state and my breath becomes normal when im like that and it ruins the whole session.

so bottom line, do you have any tips for staying awake and aware during the breathing? (I've added beeps every minute and also trying to do that with eyes open but nothing seems to help)

might not be a bad thing and stuff you need to process, you know better for sure though. 

you can change the breathing patterns. try wim hof method which breaks the breathing into sets. sometimes doing the same thing over and over can make it sort of boring and mechanical so changing things up a bit can help.