Hello from Russia

Why Leo stresses college so much?

56 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, thehero said:

in 95% of cases

I call bullshit on that. Show me a Building Engineer or a Lawyer without college.

But then there are careers, like Programmer or Graphic Designer, that are best learnt outside the academic environment.

And a wide gray area in the middle, where success depends more on the learner's ambitions and capabilities, than on the quality of formal schooling.

Edited by Girzo

@Girzo

i'm just aware that there is an abundance of opportunity in every field with or without a degree. 

assuming the best way to be successful is the way that the mainstream and your culture has fed to you is a mistake.

there's many paths and ways of doing just one thing. you must tap into your creative power and think about what's possible. 

You want to be a Doctor and cure cancer, surely you must need a degree?

Check out Brian Johnson from Optimize. He released 2 courses on conquering cancer which was approved by top oncologists. He has no medical degree. 

You want to be a psychologist?

Leo

You want to be a therapist?

Become a life coach or something similar 

I haven't looked into lawyers or building engineers. I can guarantee with solid strategy and hard work you can find a better way of doing it where you don't waste your life and your resources. There's usually a better and more efficient way of doing it
College is an option of hundreds of other options. Make sure that it's the option that is most desirable of the hundreds of others. Be creative and work hard 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=becoming+a+lawyer+without+college

Edited by thehero

My views on college have evolved.

In fact, I want to shoot a video about it.

I think there are many problems with college. Especially if you must go into massive debt to do it.

College is good for certain specific things like: engineering, computer science, physics, etc. But is a waste of time for many others.

It really depends on how self-driven you are and how good of a sense of direction you have in life. If you have a strong sense of life purpose, follow that rather than college.

I now prefer self-education rather than college, but this will only work for people who are self-driven.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Self driven isn't something you learn from family or school. Hopefully when more people of my generation grow up we will be more self-actualized to teach the generation coming after us this concept. I don't plan on having kids but, I do plan on being an inspiration for the generation after me. 

@Leo Gura wow I had an intuition that you would release a video on this. maybe itll come true 

I still think college is pointless even for the subjects you mentioned since you can hire the professor to 1 on 1 coach you, build a network of passionate people and you can show up to many ivy league lectures and many of the courses are posted online.

Edited by thehero

@thehero It's not pointless if you actually want to work in those fields. You will actually need credentials and those fields are so technical and deep that it's very hard to teach yourself all that. And college does a pretty good job teaching hard technical fields, so you might as well take advantage of the structure they offer.

Where college really falters is with teaching life skills, job skills, creativity, business, psychology, personal development, philosophy, spirituality, and how to be a great human being. Those you must teach yourself using resources outside of college.

@Leo Gura What about high school or really the K-12 education system in general. I mean seriously 12 years and they don't even touch up on most of that stuff you mentioned in your 2nd paragraph. 

@Revolutionary Think I will shoot another video about the problems of the education system as a whole. It's a very deep topic as there are many systemic flaws.

But regardless of its flaws, finishing 12th grade is a must in my opinion.

52 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Revolutionary Think I will shoot another video about the problems of the education system as a whole. It's a very deep topic as there are many systemic flaws.

But regardless of its flaws, finishing 12th grade is a must in my opinion.

@Leo Gura My experience with public education from kindergarten to high school was very negative. There was a lot of bullying from students and teachers. I didn't learn much from schools. A lot of downside with little benefits.

After I graduated from university, I learned a lot in university, but I ended up not utilizing 99.9999% of what I learned from public education and university. Most of the time, human language, basic calculation(addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division), ratio calculation, and simple arithmetic equation suffice to deal with my personal problems.

My parents mourn because they realized they wasted money and time to only realize that my life purpose has almost nothing to do with what I had learned in prussian education model and university.

There's a tiny core of public education that is essential for modern life. Prussian education model isn't the only paradigm that can teach the tiny core. The theory is that if you have the tiny core, you can bootstrap your life purpose.

I have pondered unschooling for my future children. I have been exploring self education.

My opinion is that stuffing random facts into one's mind is not useful unless one knows its life purpose already. I suspect that after learning the essential core and exploring life or jobs for a while, life purpose should be discovered before deciding what and how to learn.

You can save a lot of money and time by skipping prussian education model and university and thinking from the first principles. If university was deemed useful for your life purpose, you could prepare for it.

Edited by CreamCat

@Leo Gura Have you ever heard about unschooling, and or homeschooling? Also if somebody stumbles upon your channel who hasn't finished 12th grade why do you think they'll have that much harder of a time self-actualizing? Also doesn't it depend on the school? What if the teachers poison your mind with rhetoric like you'll never amount to anything etc.? 

2 hours ago, CreamCat said:

There was a lot of bullying from students and teachers. I didn't learn much from schools. A lot of downside with little benefits.

Bullying is a separate issue. Of course if there is lots of bullying in your school that will sour your whole education experience.

Bullying varies a lot from school to school and by geographic location.

4 minutes ago, Revolutionary Think said:

@Leo Gura Radical open mindedness no? Why is the word must even in your vocabulary? 9_9 https://www.businessinsider.com/wildly-successful-people-who-dropped-out-of-high-school-2015-9  

Of course you can always find exceptions.

We are talking about general guidelines for people, not what works for 1 in 1000.

A solid education is very important.

And don't confuse success with personal development and consciousness. Just because someone drops out of school and earns millions of dollars doesn't mean much. He could be selling tobacco to children or a used car salesmen.

@Leo Gura I concur but, from time to time you have a situation where school (and sometimes family) not only doesn't help a person reach their potential but, actively diminishes their potential as well as pushes them away from what they want to do in life. You have an ultimate life purpose course but, the education system as a whole wants you to be a cog in someone else's machine. Have you ever read anything by the author that goes by the name John Taylor Gatto? 

11 minutes ago, Revolutionary Think said:

Also doesn't it depend on the school? What if the teachers poison your mind with rhetoric like you'll never amount to anything etc.?

Of course it depends on the school. I am assuming you'd go to a good school, not a madrasa.

If your school is a toxic hellhole, then yeah, maybe you're best off with no school at all.

It's hard for me to say cause I only went to great schools. I don't really know what a bad school feels like.

1 minute ago, Revolutionary Think said:

from time to time you have a situation where school (and sometimes family) not only doesn't help a person reach their potential but, actively diminishes their potential as well as pushes them away from what they want to do in life.

In this case you follow your own heart and do whatever you feel is best.

Changing this system is what I'm making my life purpose about (or at least part of it) because I was a good little boy when I was younger. I always followed what my parents told me. Got good grades (eventually) followed what the system told me to do. Earned my pats on the head so to speak. Then at the end of it all I was unemployed, un-cared for and left behind like a week old sack of raw meat. Finding myself in the exact same situation as if I would've never gone to school in the first place.