Hello from Russia

Why Leo stresses college so much?

56 posts in this topic

Across different videos there is a wibe that everyone should go to college. But why is that so? @Leo Gura never gave a considerable elaboration, only stated his position. I can completely understand the reason to do it if it intersects and helps heavily with your Life Purpose. But what if the connection is not as obvious and linear and it seems that going to college would not be as benefitial and could even harm you, why should everyone go still? Why is it such a must have?

I would love to hear different opinions on this topic and if @Leo Gura himself could explain his view more broad that would be great.

I've not picked up on this. In fact I've always felt he leaves sort of these decisions or suggestions out of his video. He mostly provides to me like general wisdom or ways to start learning more about yourself, emotions, spirituality, etc. 

I do recall him speaking about doing academically well which was good for him and is often good for other people because it can set you up to be financially secure and give you a good foundation to learn.

@Widdle Puppy In his video on how to be a strategic motherfucker, for example, he said that not going to college is a "huge strategic blunder".
And there are few more such definitive statements in other videos.

9 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

@Widdle Puppy In his video on how to be a strategic motherfucker, for example, he said that not going to college is a "huge strategic blunder".
And there are few more such definitive statements in other videos.

I'd say don't take everything he says so literally but more try to get the essence of the ideas behind his videos. Look at  your life and decide what domains you need to work on and what are the action steps you might need to take to improve them.

@Hello from Russia  I actually had the opposite vibe from him : college is a waste of time just do your life purpose. Which of course is plainely idealistic. Often you're not doing anything till you actually went to college or got any elaborate skills. Still going to college is a huge plus and is a no brainer honestly.

Threads like this make me respect Leo the most. He keeps doing what he does although people keep ignoring the most fundamental things he says and latch onto completely arbitrary things. It really doesn't matter what Leo said or didn't say or whether he is right or wrong by saying that. The most fundamental thing that Leo stresses is having direct experiences of whatever is in front of you and that principle can't ever be wrong. How the f-- is Leo supposed to know whether college is the right thing for you or not? 

Edited by Aimblack

Going into debt is also "a huge strategic blunder", so if I take a loan in order to go to college, am I strategic motherfucker or not? Depends on the situation. I guess Leo was trying to make you go contemplate this, as always.

Apply consciousness to the burned area

Im 100% agree with the Op. Going to college is the most stupid way of wasting time and money.

When I was a sheep of the system I trusted  the typical"Go to college and you'll have a good future with high paid jobs."

You finish the career and reality kicks you in the ass. 

None of my careers helped me in life.

Just minor specific studies helped me to find concrete jobs. Specialization in what is demanded is the key.

Working on your dream only happens on TV and hollywood.

why must things be so black and white?

going to college can be great and not going to college can be great too

everyone has their journey

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

i remember him saying college was his biggest regret. i think it was a blog post 

@Moreira it's more nuanced than that. You can go to college with diffetent strateigc intents - internships, networking, to get required qualifications etc.

Apply consciousness to the burned area

1 hour ago, thehero said:

i remember him saying college was his biggest regret. i think it was a blog post 

I know this is a tall task, but do you think you can find that for me? I'm very interested in a direct quote...

It's Love.

I think if you listen to his video "the role of balance in personal development" it'll help you with this. Basically, not all advice is intended for all people in all situations. Different teachers who are all "right" may contradict each other when speaking to different individuals with different problems/needs, and Leo will even contradict himself in the same circumstance. Like everything else, you have to decide if college is a wise decision for you personally and not just defer that choice to someone you deem wise, smart, conscious, etc, and take their opinion 100%

Because college will challenge your character and gives you many opportunities to grow as a person emotionally and professionally. College is more than just majoring in a particular subject, while you will grow in that understanding of that subject, the demands of college will also provide benefits. I frankly agree with Leo, going to college is a great decision, but I am biased, I went to college. 

It's also a great way to get into "cutting-edge" ideas, meet new people, grasp where everyone is working from in the social stratosphere. 

Obviously, majoring in something like Underwater Basket-Weaving would do no good for you. But there are many worthwhile fields of study that will give you solid foundation in topic you like and kickstart your career, so if you can afford it then I don't see a reason not to attend college.

@Girzo 

in 95% of cases college is inefficient in achieving its goals 

@SgtPepper

yes, it has benefits. however most of which can be attained without college, and in a better manner 

@ChimpBrain

correct 

theres lots of dogma around college. its more often the case that you were/are better off w.o. it. 

ex:

in 1 year: id rather be hyper strategic and self study comp sci. take a comp sci bootcamp(squeeze years in months), hire a top comp sci expert 10x a month for $100/hr, join comp sci projects like hackathon and robotics, and do/join a tech startup for 6 months.

efficiency, better info, passion, freedom

Edited by thehero