Alfie

Is a meditation cushion worth it? If so, what is the best one?

18 posts in this topic

So far I've just been using a couple of my pillows but I can find this a bit uncomfortable and was wondering if it is worth investing in a meditation cushion. Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

Edited by Alfie

Try meditating on a chair or sofa, just find whatever position is comfortable for you, and it doesn't really matter as long as you're not falling asleep

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

@Alfie Sure a good cushion can make a difference. Especially if your thin and don't have much natural padding. I researched cushions extensively and the best I found are actually the ones made for wheelchair users. Truck drivers use them too. Some of them are air filled and adjustable to your liking=zero pressure points. But it's like your azz is floating on air. A little pricey tho @ $200-$369.00 US 

images (2).jpg

Been using a Zafu for quite some time now. Works great for me.

I've also been using a Zafu. Bought it from the local Zen center. It's great, and makes a huge difference for me. Remember to get one filled with kapok as it is really good material

@Alfie

I’ve tried a few. Got this one a few years ago and never looked at another. 

5C8CC71F-1AE6-4FED-97AF-7CFEA9CBACC9.jpeg

Folds up and has a bag / carrying case with handles.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

17 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@Alfie

I’ve tried a few. Got this one a few years ago and never looked at another. 

5C8CC71F-1AE6-4FED-97AF-7CFEA9CBACC9.jpeg

Folds up and has a bag / carrying case with handles.

@Nahm That is pretty damn neat. What is it called and where can you get it?

@Esoteric Reverse google image search it. It's called "Friends of Meditation® Extra Large Relaxing Buddha Meditation and Yoga Chair with backsupport and meditation block"

lol

The problem is with cushions that our muscles do not properly relax, like when we sleep. You'll find if you sleep on the floor, it may be uncomfortable first few days but you'll have the best most restorative sleep of your life. Dreams become wild and lucid as well. This is because when you sleep on firm, semi-hard or hard surface, the skeletal structure holds the body and not the muscles, so the muscles and everything non-skeletal can relax and you can go much deeper. It would only be common sense that this also applies to meditation.

You don't really need a cushion, you just need something slightly above ground level to sit on so your feet are crossed lower than your ass(knees pointed downward) and they will balance out the weight distribution and hold your spine straight as you slightly tilt forward and you can relax with a perfectly erect spine.

Remember to relax every part of your body, reminds yourself as you breathe, from head to toe, each part one by one. You'll be surprised how much body parts you are still holding onto and not completely letting go.

??

B R E A T H E

I bought one for ~$50 on Amazon when I started meditating regularly. I love the thing and only rarely sit without it. 

ETA: mine is a zafu.

Edited by PsiloPutty

I'm also aiming at one. I've been sitting on a chair but I feel more grounded when I'm sitting cross-legged. My choice would be a Zafu. It's important to keep your spine straight to maximize alertness and to be aware of your spine and currents of energy.

@Nahm wow that looks comfy as f... :D

+1 for zafu. Get the zabuton/zabathon/blsck zabbath what ever mat too

I need a cushion for Vipassana retreat.

From what you are saying, I will go for simple zafu.

@Girzo  A lot of retreats supply the zafus, cushions, etc. 

Not a bad idea to get your own, but you might check and see if they do.   :)

Sitting over a soft yoga block, usually the skinny kind, I found to be the most comfortable position for cross-legged sitting half-lotus. My outer leg falls asleep still if I sit long, but that happens in any position, at least when propped up on the block there is no pressure on my lower back and hips.

Also when sitting in a chair I can position a skinny yoga block horizontally around my mid-spine to keep in a straight position

On 8/12/2018 at 3:58 PM, DnoReally said:

@Esoteric Reverse google image search it. It's called "Friends of Meditation® Extra Large Relaxing Buddha Meditation and Yoga Chair with backsupport and meditation block"

lol

??