Alfie

What stage should I be at before going on a meditation retreat?

5 posts in this topic

• Should I be able to meditate by myself for over an hour, two hours, three or even four hours?
  • Should I be a certain age? (I'm only 16 now but it is something that I am eager to do in the future)
  • Should I have had experience with psychedelics?
  • Should I have had some sort of profound awakening experience?

Or should I go as soon as I have the chance and not worry about any of the stuff listed above?

:D

I think you would learn to meditate  most effectively on a retreat. No prior experience required. The environment is geared toward that. Even meditating for an hour would be EASY there compared to at home. /but after the retreat you will develop this equanimity which will assist you when you meditate at home.

Even if you prepare yourself with some practice, or psychedelics, it's not going to be as effective as the retreat. 

Know that it does require commitment. You probably WILL want to drop out on the first day, or first week. But you gotta pull through.

Maybe the retreat center would require your parents approval, IDK. I was 22 on my first.

Good luck!

Heck no, you don't have to be at any certain level of anything to do a meditation retreat. I don't know if there's an 18-and-older policy at these things, but you could easily find that out. Don't be hung up on "where you're at" with meditation.....just do it.   :D

I remember when I was starting I did go with a meditation and yoga classes in my local city and then after a month I went on a 1 week retreat in the Sicilian Spirit house. I was pretty new, but Joan who was my teacher at that time accepted me well and was very helpful with everything. I am not sure about your age though, because I was 26 at that time.

Nothing can prepare you for sitting down and dying of boredom. :)

Dont look at me! Look inside!