King

Is It Ok For Me To Listen To This Song And Others Like It?

6 posts in this topic

Some background info: I'm a 17 year old Junior in high school with no physically harming emotional problems and no criminal record...(Okay I stole a box of Nerds from a grocery store when I was 9, so what?) I'm also the most sensitive male I know. I cried at the end of Toy Story 3, when Dumbledore died, and at any other major Disney movie death. What I'm trying to say is that I, as far as my conscious mind knows, have no intention of inflicting physical harm on anybody. 

That being said, what I want to know is if it's okay to listen to songs like this: Hollywood Undead - Undead, skip to 0:50 and 2:18, and you'll understand why I ask this question.

As previously stated, I have no intention of telling somebody anything along the lines of, "You need to slit your wrists, get pissed and go jump off a bridge"

Nor do I have any support or intention to dress as they do. (Seriously, these guys look like they would participate in the Purge)

Also, I do listen to their song Day of the Dead, which is less vulgar, but still not the most friendly type of music.

Is their a problem with listening to these songs? Can these songs correlate to some part of my early childhood?

I don't believe there is any problem with listening to any music. It sounds like you're concerned this may reflect some unconscious desire to inflict harm on others. You don't shed much light on this, so it's hard for us to say why this is causing you unease. Of course, there's never just one clear cut answer,but try reflecting on it to see if you can find some satisfying answers and become more self aware? Use this forum as a journal or sounding board for your thoughts and be more engaged. How does the song make you feel? Give details. Examine the details. Ask more questions. Why do you think you feel that way? Do you feel seduced by the idea of hurting others? If you do, does this cause you guilt? Everyone has darker impulses; it's the ability to inhibit ourselves and orient us toward different behaviors that is what we call moral. 

That's just my take though. The important thing is you ask the questions, reflect, and really examine things about yourself. No issue acts in isolation, it will always be connected to pretty much every other facet of your being. Let this shed light on your idea of morality. Let this help you understand why you act certain ways, why you believe what you do. Feel free to share your insights on this forum. It can really speed up the process if you have other people's perspectives in addition to your own.

Dude, there's nothing wrong with it at all, you either consciously or subconsciously relate a lot to what the song is singing about or just the music / style / atmosphere it give of but guess what, there's nothing wrong about that either.

You can cry to Disney movies so you're in tunes with your feelings but your conscious mind still think it's wrong to kill, well what you have to understand is that "What is dead may never die" - that is to say, everyone is a fucking zombie anyway.

Most people are already dead, they're zombies trying to eat your brain so they will seam less stupid because you're on their level, this is what all those singers are singing about, even good old Bob Dylan when he say that "everybody must get stoned", he's not actually talking about drugs ;) 
Everybody be throwing mental stones.

Like HJO say in the Sixth Sense - "I see dead people, walking around like normal people, they don't look at each other, they only see what they want to see, most of them don't even know they're dead."

It wouldn't be so bad if everybody were like the doctor in that movie trying to get back in touch with themselves etc like many people over here but so many countless folks just prefer to sit as lords of shit mountain or pridefully serve as slaves in the army of legion so it's just about impossible to help people until they've fallen so far down that they have no other way out than either physical death or mental, ego death through the holy spirit.

All that and you want to rise above the dung of mortality like Heimsker say in Skyrim and the music make you feel powerful :) 

@King There's nothing wrong with listening to these songs. The only thing I would say is that music affects your mood, which is why "Happy Songs" are usually better during the day :P

But I like these song's aswell :)

Music is just a music, artform, one of the multiple fields for self-expression. If you like these songs it's simply means, that you can relate to energy behind them, that's all. 
More than that, you can use this music for healthy release of negative emotions. Instead of accumulating them and becoming psychopath on killing spree, just go headbang and dance!;) I've heard much "worse" music and nothing has changed in my behavior.

@FocusOnTruth @kalter000 @reez @Keyblade Viking

Thank you guys all for the replies! I'm glad to know that I can at least retain my current state of innocence and listen to these songs! :P And I'll make sure to reflect on them and try to find a correlation to my past :)