youngshinzen

My mind impersonates other people

11 posts in this topic

I just watched the dave chapelle netflix special and took a nap. When I woke up, his voice was running through my head, it was very clear and I could think of any sentence with his voice.

I also had that when I was on a workshop with strangers, all their voices and interests ran through my head and again, I could consciously imitate each and everyone of them.

Have you ever experienced that? And what could be the reason for that mechanism?

This is very common.

From Wikipedia:

In psychoanalysis, introjection is the process where the subject replicates in himself behaviors, attributes or other fragments of the surrounding world, especially of other subjects. To use a simple example, a person who picks up traits from his friends (e.g., a person who begins frequently exclaiming "Ridiculous!" as a result of hearing a friend of theirs repeatedly doing the same) is introjecting. 

Question: Do you think you are doing this way too much? Or is it in a healthy level?

Edited by Gabriel Antonio

@Gabriel Antonio During the workshop it was overwhelming because the voices didn‘t stop and I felt like I was losing myself and adapting to the environment. So I‘m thinking that this is a survival mechanism. 

But with Chappelle it felt like he is representing a shadow of mine (identified early with being funny, losing it and gaining it back again) and to enhance the illusion that I am something different than him, my mind would repeat his voice. Because it seems like the mind chooses „different“ people only.

Just now I‘m realizing that whenever I want to do some action and the thought kicks in: „that can‘t be me“, I start to think in someone elses voice so that there‘s no inner conflict. That happens a few times a week. That could be another hint for the shadow aspect. 

What do you think?

Edited by youngshinzen

On 07/08/2018 at 4:34 PM, youngshinzen said:

@Gabriel Antonio During the workshop it was overwhelming because the voices didn‘t stop and I felt like I was losing myself and adapting to the environment. So I‘m thinking that this is a survival mechanism. 

But with Chappelle it felt like he is representing a shadow of mine (identified early with being funny, losing it and gaining it back again) and to enhance the illusion that I am something different than him, my mind would repeat his voice. Because it seems like the mind chooses „different“ people only.

Just now I‘m realizing that whenever I want to do some action and the thought kicks in: „that can‘t be me“, I start to think in someone elses voice so that there‘s no inner conflict. That happens a few times a week. That could be another hint for the shadow aspect. 

What do you think?

Was the workshop exausting?

Don't judge yourself negatively, imitation can also be seen as creativity, art, expression of self. Change your definitions, change your reality.

B R E A T H E

Yes. I do notice that whenever I watch/hear a lot of someone on screen, be it Tom Cruise, Kelsey Grammer, Donald Trump or Leo Gura, I start to think, talk and act like them. Though I only recall this happening with other male voices. This is a common phenomenon because the mind is very permeable and suggestible, far more so than anyone realizes- the sense of self, your preferences, attitudes and beliefs are fluid. This mechanism is how you can watch a video about a subject, and then feel highly knowledgeable and highly motivated afterwards, as if you assumed the personality of the speaker.

Becoming aware of this is part of the process of realizing that you are not your thoughts, and your thoughts are not even you. How much of your personality is originally "you" and how much is subconsciously adopted from other people you've encountered or observed throughout your life? And more profound questions about the nature of you-ness and the lack thereof will follow.

Regardless, if I'm reading the book I find it very useful to find a video of the author speaking, so I can read it in their voice and mannerisms.

@pluto But isn't imitation/copying the opposite of creativity?

@XYZ Thanks, that's a good point. What is even me? Which are my thoughts? Theoretically I know - none. But If I'm not aware enough I identify with some of them more than with others. 

@youngshinzen It could be if you define it that way, you could also change your definition so you see it differently. The Ego needs love not judgement. Judgement will only make the Ego stronger and more defensive because especially the negative ego lives in survival mode and feels disconnected.

There is a wise saying: If you want to become Enlightened, Lighten up :) Its that simple.

Instead of being so hard on yourself, love yourself, accept yourself, know that you are always learning and growing and see everything that happens as a lesson. This will accelerate your evolution and freedom more efficiently than anything else because this is the natural frequency of the universe. Unconditional Love/Acceptance.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E