Manjushri

How is consciousness not brain activity?

34 posts in this topic

I've watched the Consciousness video, but I still can't wrap my head around it. Guess I'm stuck in the naive realism paradigm :D Please help me understand this! 

Edited by Gligorije

1 hour ago, Gligorije said:

I've watched the Consciousness video, but I still can't wrap my head around it. Guess I'm stuck in the naive realism paradigm :D Please help me understand this! 

is your consciousness inside a dream , related to the dream brain's activity ? :D

@Nahm I just don't see how consciousness exists when you take the brain out of the scheme (argument - deep sleep= no consciousness) 

Why does one thing need to be reduced to another?  Why can't things stand alone on their own merit?  There's always this relation or connection that the mind wants to draw -- a 'this is like that' relation.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

From leos first spiritual enlightenment video: "reality just is and thats the end of it" 

5 hours ago, Outer said:

How do you know that you slept or was in deep sleep? Because you have a memory in consciousness.

According to researchers, the memory of dreams is constructed when you wake. That said, I think the sleep route leads away from the initial question. 

@Gligorije I won't argue here about a physical reality or no. What I will say is: an account of Absolute Reality/Truth has to account for everything that exists. All I know is that my consciousness exists. However, my consciousness is not physical - not in the way a brain is thought to be. 

Ok, fine. But in that case, where is the conscious experience taking place? In another dimension from the physical brain? Does that mean the brain is creating another dimension? That every conscious being's brain creates a new dimension? How? Where?

Or maybe the experiential dimension already exists, and the brain connects to it. Again, how? Did the universe know to have this dimension on standby for when life came around? Do all our brains tap into the one dimension, or is there one for each of us? 

I'm not going to answer any of these questions, just leave them for you to work on if you want

"The brain" is made out of consciousness. End of story. It's as simple as that.

Where else have you seen a brain but inside your consciousness?

Really look! It is impossible for anything to exist outside your consciousness.

Try to name one thing which contradicts what I said. And notice you are wrong each time.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura So consciousness is just a synonyms for 'apeiron' or 'god' or 'substance'? what about the consciousness that's synonymous to awareness? 

2 hours ago, Outer said:

Inside consciousness =/= consciousness. Appearance is not consciousness, it does not exist.

So are you saying consciousness does not exist period? Or merely the appearance of consciousness? Kind of like a silhouette?

@Outer

Perhaps a bit like a Beatles song, "Within You, Without You."

Well I guess with Gestalt. Appearance does not exist. Might be wrong though, not sure how to think it through more deeply.

04vase.jpg

@Gligorije All you have of reality is sights, sounds, sensations, smells, tastes, thoughts. You never experience a 3D material object (the brain, for example) directly. Therefore there can be no evidence for the existence of an external three-dimensional universe.

23 hours ago, Outer said:

Inside consciousness =/= consciousness. Appearance is not consciousness, it does not exist.

You are misleading people about things you do not fully understand yet.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.