littleBIG

Is this Joy/Happiness?

9 posts in this topic

I've been depressed for a few years and I decided to find what happiness is and how to get it. I started a meditation habit but I've never really experienced anything. But today I was meditating, my mind wandered to memories of my childhood. I had no worries back then and just did whatever I pleased to do and I was really happy. I felt incredibly good in that moment, like I had no worries anymore. Is this the "joy" people talk about?

Happiness is being conscious of the magnificence of existence in every moment, your mind uncluttered with conceptual baggage and petty "human stuff".

As a child, that was you natural state. Then as you aged, your mind was brainwashed and corrupted with the petty human concerns of your society and culture.

To see the magic in every moment of existence independent of external conditions is what you really want. It's the only thing that will truly satisfy you. Which is where spiritual practices come into play. Spiritual practices help you to develop a metaphysical connection to reality, rather than the utilitarian, transactional mode from which you currently operate.

As a kid, your mode of interaction with reality was non-transactional. Which gave you genuine joy.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Gligorije You live pragmatically, just to survive and meet your basic needs.

This is no way to live. This is like being a zombie or a slave. So of course that will lead to depression. It's a guaranteed recipe for misery.

Imagine instead living as though you are inside a dream or a work of art. Full of wonder and passion at every turn.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

35 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Happiness is being conscious of the magnificence of existence in every moment, your mind uncluttered with conceptual baggage and petty "human stuff".

As a child, that was you natural state. Then as you aged, your mind was brainwashed and corrupted with the petty human concerns of your society and culture.

To see the magic in every moment of existence independent of external conditions is what you really want. It's the only thing that will truly satisfy you. Which is where spiritual practices come into play. Spiritual practices help you to develop a metaphysical connection to reality, rather than the utilitarian, transactional mode from which you currently operate.

As a kid, your mode of interaction with reality was non-transactional. Which gave you genuine joy.

That is so beautiful ?

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Hey Leo, thank you for the insight. I know what to work toward now.

49 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Gligorije You live pragmatically, just to survive and meet your basic needs.

This is no way to live. This is like being a zombie or a slave. So of course that will lead to depression. It's a guaranteed recipe for misery.

Imagine instead living as though you are inside a dream or a work of art. Full of wonder and passion at every turn.

That's precisely what made me depressed. I saw no point in the "zombie life". School, work, sleep, entertainment, repeat. I knew I had to find some other way.

I also think we not only try to meet our basic needs, we are held hostage by other needs like entertainment, need for approval of peers, etc.

10 hours ago, Artaemis said:

@Leo Gura Please make a video about this if you can. 

+1 @Leo Gura

Yeah, an update is needed for the existing videos about happiness

Edited by Viking