Durka_Durka

Headspace?

7 posts in this topic

Just wondered if anyone has/had been using it for a long time and would recommend it for meditation?

A lot of techniques are simplified/secularized so if you want to learn meditation, its pretty good at that. You will know you have outgrown it when you instinctively tune out the guide's voice from the meditation. 

A pretty good app, i've used it for quite a while but i prefer Calm.

@Major Tom I've noticed that Headspace really doesn't offer a lot unless you subscribe to it, did you do this or did just check it out and then leave it?

@Osm Having looked at Calm, I think this one is better personally, seems to offer more than Headspace

I googled and found free half year subscribing code. Headspace is a great (beginners) guided meditation app.  

I have used both apps (calm and headspace) for over 2 years now and I would say headspace is more structured. Calm offers very good theoretical content, the app itself has a nice interface but if you start one of the packages (such as calm for anxiety or calm for sleep) it throws a good amount of information at you only in less than a month. That means you learn the theory but don't have much time to actually practice it.

Headspace on the other hand has a very well structured set of diverse packages that you can do after finishing the basic packages. You get to learn the theory really well and then have a very laid back approach in implementing and practicing concepts. 

Using the unsubscribed versions of both apps, you can only acquire an insight into meditation. 

Edited by nima103

I habe used headspace for nearly a year now i think on a regular basis. i find it very easy to stick to a daily habit of mediating with headspace. i have only missed out on a few days with the app since i subscribed to it (although the day counter has been reset multiple times but most often due to some technical error. the app can be buggy at times).

the app gets updated with new packs and feautures over time so it feels to me its getting gradually better with regular use. i think i only have paid for it once when i first activated my sibscription. i havent seen anyhting going of my check since than. i only paid like 80kr (about 10 dollars) for it.

although the packs are advertised as helping with different things such as depression, craving, motivation or concentration for example the exercises themeselves are more or less ubiqitous. You begin with taking deep breaths with an unfocused gaze before returning the breath to normal and closing your eyes. you do a bodyscan, than you start focusing on your breath. than either hone in the focus or switch to a vizualization depending on the pack. than you let go of any focus for a moment before coming back to the body and slowly opening your eyes again. thats it for 10 minutes. what varies is the information told to you before and after the exercise depending on the pack you have activated. thats the app in a nutshell

i like it. i get a lot of good information or atleast reminders and insights into a more simple and peacefull approach to life. its a bit basic thats true but nothing wrong with that. it works really well if you incorporate into your daily. i find it especially easy to fit it in even when im busy.