TruthSeeker

Cursing

18 posts in this topic

Should someone who is serious about self actualization and self improvement work on not cursing? My gut instinct is that cursing is a trait of a person who is unrefined? 

(btw if you're a person who normally curses using words like F*** S*** B**** etc etc so obviously you're first reaction to this question will be biased and you will think there is nothing wrong with it because we need to protect our egos...That being said I am asking of you to step outside of yourself for few moments and think objectively about this question...who knows maybe my gut instinct is wrong and maybe theres nothing wrong with cursing and even very actualized people curse and its no contradiction...I just cant imagine Gandi saying "F****** A*******")

Oh for fuck's sake ! :P 

Oh yes, I think if it is in your upbringing... you will still curse. But you have no pull, there's no attachment to it any longer. It comes just from the mouth, not from the heart ... and eventually it stops. 

It also does not bother you when you see it in others any longer... 

:)

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

I'm sorry can you please re-write your opinion in a clearer way. Be very specific...Thank you I cant really understand what you said....

If cursing is an expression of your vibration, if it comes from deep within you... look for the reasons of that. 

If it is just a fun way to express your personality...than so be it

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

words are neither bad nor good, they are just sound waves. Our mind gives them interpretation

I personally don't see a problem with cursing. We are free to use any words we want to express ourselves. If a curse word feels like the best word to use in some situation, I say, go with it. :)

Cursing is primarily cultural and learned behavior. As long as we keep that in mind, we are good to go.

I also agree with Ayla that when we speak from the heart, learned and fake cursing stops. But like with every bad habit, it's a process and you learn as you go.

Manners are also learned behavior. Do you have to learn good manners to lead a self-actualized life? Or do the necessary good manners come naturally from within as you self-actualize? I think that perhaps you work on our inside first and see what comes out and then later ask again, "do I still want to work on my bad language?" The desire to attack something as tangible as a bad habit can also serve as a distraction from the actual self-actualization, the emotional labor involved. It's a good intention anyway and a good goal.

I think cursing is a booster for negative feelings. You get negative feelings, curse and get some more negative feelings.

And because I don't want create negative feelings by myself, I try to avoid cursing :D

Edited by Thomas Taschler

I think there is a distinction between cursing in reaction to something, which may be a sign that you are lost in thought and cursing intentionally and selectively for effect and emphasis. I don't necessarily see it as a huge deal either way, as sometimes people can come across as quite authentic if they are cursing, because they are speaking passionately about a particular subject.

Other times I find it can just be a part of someone's sense of humor. If a person takes major offence, it's probably more to do with them.

There is no such thing as a bad word. At times when I am less stuck up and don't take everything so seriously I tend to curse more simply as an expression of who I am.

Edited by YawningGull

I think it depends entirely upon the intentions behind the usage of the language. This doesn't just apply to cursing, but to anything that is said in general. Words are inherently meaningless vibrations, which we have chosen to assign meaning to, for the sake of being able to communicate ideas. Cursing is neither good nor bad in reality, but if you are using the language with a negative intention, you are perpetuating negativity within yourself. Cursing doesn't have to be negative, you simply have to be mindful of your intentions behind the things you say. 

The idea that we wouldn't be allowed to use certain words to express ourselves is fucking whorseshit and nothing but pure mind control.

Forcing the word fuck in there to sound cool or hip and get likes is just the other side of the polarity and is of course just as stupid but if you're afraid of cursing or get mad or whatever when someone else does it you have a problem and not anyone else.

It's your mind control setting in telling you how things are suppose to be but if you live through the spirit and understand that you are nothing then there are no silly laws like that.

I appreciate everyone answering my question. Some of the things I saw resonated with me and somethings I saw made me laugh. I kinda see where people are coming from. 

Heres a basic summary of what people said

1) If it is just a fun way to express your personality...than so be it

2) words are neither bad nor good, they are just sound waves.

3) We are free to use any words we want to express ourselves. If a curse word feels like the best word to use in some situation, I say, go with it. :)

4)Cursing is only bad if you let others tell you it is.

5) ...as sometimes people can come across as quite authentic if they are cursing, because they are speaking passionately about a particular subject. Other times I find it can just be a part of someone's sense of humor.

6)...I tend to curse more simply as an expression of who I am.

7) Cursing is neither good nor bad in reality, but if you are using the language with a negative intention, you are perpetuating negativity within yourself. Cursing doesn't have to be negative, you simply have to be mindful of your intentions behind the things you say. 

8)It's your mind control setting in telling you how things are suppose to be but if you live through the spirit and understand that you are nothing then there are no silly laws like that.

I happen to think a little differently than most people who have posted.  But before I share what I think. We need to all remember including me to be open minded to the fact that we could be wrong. Especially when discussing things that are so ingrained in us since childhood like cursing. (If hypothetically cursing WAS something that we should stop doing...it would be VERY difficult for us to to admit that its wrong and we should stop since its so ingrained in ourselves and most of society does it)

Leo is very stringent that people on the forum post with proper grammar and spelling and punctuation. Why is that? What if I want to speak/write in a certain  way which I feel expresses my self. What if I think who cares the way something is spelled, after all they are just little symbols that are trying to convey a message. What if I think its not good or bad to use proper grammar and its just a way for me to express myself. So we see that obviously just because I want to express myself in a certain way doesn't mean its something I should do. Just like you would write a cover letter for a job interview with bad spelling and grammar and punctuation, so too you would put curse words in there even if you were trying to "express yourself"

Would we be ok cursing in front of our kids?

Would we be ok cursing in a job interview?

Would the president curse?

Would a news broadcaster curse?

Would a teacher curse in front of the students?

etc

etc

No! Why? Because these people are trying to be their best and cursing is a lowly thing. (It's just a sign that you don't have the proper lexicon to say what you want to say and your trying to get peoples attention). 

Even though these words are just "sound waves and we give them meaning" (as someone put it) even so, the world knows them as curse words which by definition is a negative thing. 

If we want to be actualized people we have to realize that every word we say is important and has to be selected carefully. Why should we waste our words with meaningless negative words. I think we all need to admit to ourselves that cursing is something we should try to stop doing (like any other bad habit).

I think we can find better and more authentic ways to express ourselves.

Ok thats what I think. Sorry if I wasn't clear and I rambled. Now I'm very open to the fact that I could be completely wrong. Which most of you reading this probably think I've lost my whammy. But let's try to be open minded to the possibility that this could be something that we should work on. 

Sorry for the long post.

2 hours ago, TruthSeeker said:

eo is very stringent that people on the forum post with proper grammar and spelling and punctuation. Why is that? What if I want to speak/write in a certain  way which I feel expresses my self. What if I think who cares the way something is spelled, after all they are just little symbols that are trying to convey a message. What if I think its not good or bad to use proper grammar and its just a way for me to express myself. So we see that obviously just because I want to express myself in a certain way doesn't mean its something I should do. Just like you would write a cover letter for a job interview with bad spelling and grammar and punctuation, so too you would put curse words in there even if you were trying to "express yourself"

Would we be ok cursing in front of our kids?

Would we be ok cursing in a job interview?

Would the president curse?

Would a news broadcaster curse?

Would a teacher curse in front of the students?

etc

etc

No! Why? Because these people are trying to be their best and cursing is a lowly thing. (It's just a sign that you don't have the proper lexicon to say what you want to say and your trying to get peoples attention). 

First of all Leo isn't perfect but I can see a reason for that, it's good if everyone can understand each other well and grammar help with that.
As for the rest:

Parents are fucked up and want to make sure that their children follow the same mind control as them, why do you think children find it so fucking funny to say words like poo and pee and talk about "things we are not allowed to talk about", why do you think there is such an incredibly unhealthy desire for sex and strange perversion that we for some reason find so funny, why would rebels or "bad people" use so many words that we are not allowed to say?
As a wise man once said: The answer can be found in the question

The bosses holding the job interviews are not always the most sane people but more importantly, they have a business where their goal is to make money and in order to be successful in the world you often times (not always but especially with customer service jobs like shops etc) have to become a part of the world and follow all of it's mind control in order to buy over all your customers.

If you think news broadcasters, teachers or fucking Presidents are good role models then you should think again, all they do is work for the system to encourage the mind control (generally they do this because they are part of the world and sick themselves but when they don't they usually still have to do it to a large extent to keep their job, not trying to "blame" anyone).

Why is this? because they are trying to make people look up to them and seam respected, because they judge their lives by someone else (listen to Mirror of Souls by Theocracy)

Edit: about opinions - that we are not suppose to curse is nothing but an opinion, I might be slightly of on something I've said here but if you live in truth you don't care about if you or anyone else curse or not, if nothing else it's a great way to keep the close minded "civilized" people away because all they can do it hear your cursing and that means they aren't ready to wake up, at all.

Edited by Keyblade Viking - Tobias

Again, everything in moderation.

A good 'FUUUCK!' at the right time for the right situation is a great emotional release.

Caviar on occasion is a delicacy, everyday and it's just fish eggs. -Adam G

I read cursing releases good stuff in your brain. That's why we curse when we experience pain. It's relieving. 

Leo curses in his videos and it's fucking great he keeps it 100%.

Edited by Argue

18 hours ago, Adam G said:

A good '******' at the right time for the right situation is a great emotional release.

I see your point but I had the following thought. 

I always thought that when a lot of things are bothering you it helps to complain and vent off how things are so bad and everytime I complained and got it off my chest It felt so good (At least I thought it did). BUT, I read recently (I wont say where for personal reasons) that actually complaing does just the opposite. Complaining actually focusses your mind on the negative. What a person really has to do when a lot of things are bothering him and making him upset is focus on all the good things a person has in his life. A person can choose to focus his mind on the positive and make that his world view.

Why am I saying all this? Good question. I'm bringing that Idea as a "proof" that just because something is a "great emotional release" doesn't make it a "good" thing to do or something that is in a persons best interest to do.  

On 2/7/2016 at 1:23 PM, Thomas Taschler said:

I think cursing is a booster for negative feelings. You get negative feelings, curse and get some more negative feelings.

And because I don't want create negative feelings by myself, I try to avoid cursing :D

There are MANY things that are a great emotional release and they are antithetical to self development and actualization

I have a challenge for anyone who is interested. A big part of self actualization is self control. Even for those who are convinced that cursing is a good thing and beneficial...try not cursing for 1 day or 2 , 3, 4 (you choose). Its a good way to practice self control (which is a muscle). Tell me how your experience went...was it hard...did you succeed? I will try the same. 

@TruthSeeker I hear ya.  I don't see throwing out an occasional curse as necessarily 'complaining'.  I personally make the distinction between cursing in the form of conversational emphasis and cursing as an appropriately placed expression of emotional release.  I don't see either as 'good' or 'bad'.  I just know when I stub my toe, it feels good to yell "FUUCK!". 

But.. I suppose.. as I mull this over, using curse words repeatedly in everyday conversation may be a form miniature complaining with the same, albeit unintentional, release as bitching up a good storm. 

I come back to my first post on this.. everything in moderation.  To completely abstain from cursing as a exercise in discipline is fine, but to categorize cursing in its entirety and in all forms as 'bad' or in something that needs to be overcome and eliminated is bit far for me.