SaltyMeatballs

On becoming funny

20 posts in this topic

I am planning to rewire my brain to see the funniness in every situation.

Leo's video on being funny shares various tools for achieving the above e.g. Random sentence strings, affirmations etc.

I was wondering, who has successfully applied these techniques and what are the common pitfalls and traps to avoid. Would greatly appreciate any advice given. :) 

This message will self destruct in 10 seconds... 

I think being funny has to do with a certain vibe you and the people involved get into. It's got to do with leaving pauzes in your sentences and having a certain 'funny' feeling in your body and your face. So I guess it would be good practice to get into that vibe as much as you can. 

Also try to make jokes because you like making them. Not because you care about the reaction of other people. This is super duper crucial. If you are having fun with your own jokes people will appreciate it, even if it's not really their humor. 

Good luck!

@SaltyMeatballs try being purely sarcastic and cynical first. 

Tap into your dark side. 

Jokes and Comedy often hold a very dark nugget of truth. 

There is a reason so many famous comedians are depressed and try to kill themselves. 

John Cleese, Owen Wilson, Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, the rapper Eminem. They are all examples of this. I am sure the list is much longer. 

Once you master being sarcastic and cynical, try being cocky. 

After that bring out the Happy sauce and give a happy twist to it all. 

Edited by SFRL

3 hours ago, SaltyMeatballs said:

This message will self destruct in 10 seconds... 

That wasn't funny.

Edited by sgn

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

Also status has to do with you being considered funny or not. 

Laughing at someones joke is like a bonding experience. People want to bond with people that they value/have high status. 

For example: Almost nobody laughs at the sharp joke the nerdy kid at school makes. Almost everyone laughs at the dumb comment the most popular kid in class makes. 

Also with girls. When a girl likes you she will giggle at all the dumb shit that comes out of your mouth. When she doesn't like you, not so much. 

The real art is in the stuff I described in my first post though. 

1 hour ago, Feel Good said:

Yes this is true to a certain extent. But your perception of reality is akin to a teenage schoolboy / school girl :) Only those stuck at that stage respond to these behaviours. There are higher stages of consciousness that transcend these ideas of status and wealth and looks. It's unfortunate that our society is currently stuck at age 12, and that is all that is expected of us. But there is more. Much more. If you care to see what is possible and keep an open mind you can see your own ego and maybe transcend it. But you will first have to deal with the issues that are keeping you stuck at age 12.

Honestly? What you're saying is funny isn't fun at all to someone who has dealt with their problems, much in the same way you would not consider this funny:

:x

If anything your post is pretty sarcastic and cynical in itself. 

A passive agressive smiley face with hearts doesn't change anything about that. 

Show me some stuff you and the 'concious elite' find funny. 

6 minutes ago, Feel Good said:

I had no idea my statement would land like that in your interpretive space. 

You are responsible for your own interpretation, and playing the victim to a "conscious elite" shows good reason for me to not respond to your overly aggressive attack from out of nowhere. 

The unreasonable cannot be reasoned with.

If you want external confirmation of where your worldview fits into the hierarchy of consciousness, check out Abraham Maslow or Spiral Dynamics. 

Just don't shoot the messenger.

Peace 

Show me that mysterious funny content, that's all I am asking for.

10 minutes ago, Feel Good said:

What do you mean? You have to be at the higher stages and in real relationship with real people rather than an unconscious schoolboy playing with other unconscious women's emotions. 

Do your own research. 

If I sensed that you were genuine and and willing to grow (which you aren't judging by your previous response) I would gladly help you out. 

At the moment my advice to you is to cultivate some open mindedness and humility and maybe you will naturally be able see for your self how diverse and unique a conscious person is. 

Currently your core ass-u-me-ption is that there is one humour and it resolves around status and popularity. Which is true for you, but not true for everyone. 

The "nerd" you speak of and marginalize also doesn't appreciate your ridgid form of reality either. He/she has their own unique humour.  Perhaps you're just not open minded enough to see how delightfully beautiful they also are? 

Where are these jokes that you find so funny? Show me. Do they exist? 

My biggest piece of advice is don't try to be funnier than you actually are. A mistake that I made was that I used to say to myself in the middle of conversation: "Okay, switching to funny mode, let's start looking for the funny in every part of this conversation" and from there I would start saying things that are remotely funny (or not funny at all), expecting people to laugh to these things. This would produce awkward moments and it's not the way you grow your sense of humor. 

So in order your humor to be genuine, start small. Make jokes once a conversation or even once a day and don't force it! If you don't have anything funny to say at the moment, don't say anything, that's okay. People will respect you more if you say nothing rather than if you say a stupid joke.

Also, these exercises, I find them a waste of time, I used to do them for 6 or more months but the biggest gains came 2 years after I quit them. To me the biggest boost to your sense of humor is being happy. A happy person will naturally joke about stuff, therefore you should concentrate on the stuff that will make you happy - your life purpose, your friends, your intimate relationship etc. Sense of humor on its own WILL NOT make you happy imho!

15 minutes ago, Feel Good said:

"Fundamentally what you're doing is that you're just chasing vagina" 

Peace 

Dude that's way off-topic. This thread is about humor. 

You also have not read many of my recent posts in the dating section. You are way behind.

20 minutes ago, Artaemis said:

Feel boredom.  You'll naturally start thinking playful and entertaining thoughts. That's when I'm funniest, when I stop overloading my system with stimulation and entertainment so its forced to generate its own. 

Meditation is pretty 'boring'. Do that.

I had the same train of thought last night. Not really relating to humor, but still. 

Pertaining to emotions. Like there are two sort of emotions. Emotions from the heart 'real emetions'. And then there are emotions that are rational contractions. Like emotions that you are 'meant' to feel. 

Then when you drop those 'rational emotions' just completely drop them there is nothing left to replace that emotion. Like some void. And then there is just boredom. 

Seemed like those 'rational emetions' are just there for addiction and entertainment. 

Edited by SFRL

8 minutes ago, Feel Good said:

@SFRL You just posted a clip from RSD and a 4 year video by Leo on why women fall for assholes. 

So from that and your recent behaviour on this post I infer that it is wise to post more content from Leo who happens to explain the situation better than perhaps I'm able to communicate at this point in time.

Again, not all people find bullying and mysoginy funny. Only girls at high school and perhaps in clubs would find your frat party humour actually funny.  There is a large section of society that would even go as far as resonating with your attitude, but that is the orange aspect of it, not the pickup artist pov.

The point is that it's way more realistic to be yourself rather than employ these pick up techniques that you keep spreading around as some kind of ultimate truth in all dating and social situations. 

I'm not saying pickup is all bad, I've even posted a video from jeffy myself on this forum, but that was to explain one piece of conversational technique he has to offer us against the backdrop of unconscious and manipulative mysoginistic attitudes that constitute 99% of his values system, attitude and social skills. 

We can learn a lot from these guys, it's just a shame that people like yourself actually fall for the whole gambit. 

Anyway, I think I've said what I need to say here and im still not sure you're capable of holding a reasonable discussion, so this will be my final reply to you.

Thanks 

There is a lot to learn from those videos and they address her situation. 

If your mind is too black and white and you can't see the nuances then so be it. Then throw away the baby with the bathwater.

First of all I don't like to take Leo's name in my mouth because he can talk for himself. Second I think you have to put the rant against pick-up in the complete context of the journey Leo took. Who Leo is today is the complete journey he went trough, that includes all his videos imo. Thirdly don't be such a nuthugger. I think Leo's work is great like pretty much everyone on this forum, but think for yourself. 

7 minutes ago, Feel Good said:

C'mon man. Give me more credit than that. :P

Ok I really mean it this time, I'm off.  Catch you later 

Third time is a charm. 

learn to be able to hold tension. a lot of humour is the ability to sustain tension. 

particularly if you're not someone who typically considers themself funny. 

holding tension means to be at ease with and not succumbing to the tense feeling that comes after you make a joke and there isn't an immediate response. it means not caring whether the other person laughs, and it means you are just being yourself

humour is at its best when it's purely a giving or sharing energy and people can sense when you're approval seeking or being out of character

someone who can't hold tension will make a joke, and those who know him will unconsciously test him by not immediately responding the way he hopes. by giving him a queer look or something. if you can just hold the tension like you'd just said something benign about the weather, you'll grow in the moment, but if you can't stand the tension then you'll want to look into their eyes for some kind of approval and they'll know instinctively that you're trying to be something you're not.

when you can handle tension and act accordingly (when you're perfectly ok with the feelings, the appropriate thing to do or say is INSTINCTIVE AND SPONTANEOUS - no rehearsing) then the energy immediately dissipates and elevates. if you can't handle the tension and 'go beta' (don't love that term but it gets the message across) then the tension suppresses and the energy goes murkier

this is kind of abstract and cerebral but once put into actual practice it will make sense. until you go out of your comfort zone it'll just be theory though

it's the difference between becoming ashamed and saying "haha... I was trying to make a joke. sorry that was dumb" VS finding humour in the fact that nobody laughed and carrying on the conversation like normal

by being able to sustain the tension you create, you're giving other permission to be comfortable around and laugh. if you can't even be comfortable with your own behaviour and creations, why would others?

Edited by Arman

Who doesn't like Steve Martin? I don't like him. Jk, he's a great a comedian.

@SaltyMeatballs You will be much better off watching videos of your favourite comedians and analyzing them, rather than waiting for forum keyboard-jockeys to spoonfeed you.

Make fun of your shadow side.  It will be funny to you as well.  A lot of the time the stuff you make fun of is your shadow because you're trying to distance yourself from that.  But you can tap into that for humor.  That's why I'm always making fun of bums on the street -- because secretly I'm kind of a bum myself, although I never had to live on the street.  I guess I'm a bum in the sense that I never did anything I didn't want to do.  And a lot of those people weren't as lucky as I was.  So, I find that a lot of my humor comes from me trying to distance myself from being the street bum.   The loser, the guy who can't keep a job, the addict, the ne'er-do-well, the guy playing a musical instrument on the street, the guy who's basically a social outcast.  That's my shadow side.  That's the side for many years my Ego has tried to avoid.  Just pay attention to what's funny to you and connect it to your shadow side.  This is why a lot of closet cases are the people quick to make fun of gays, right.  Same thing -- they're using their shadow side to inspire and create humor.

Video on point to watch:

To me, because of my shadow side, this is really funny:

Edited by Joseph Maynor

These two guys became funny after their death. So there is always a chance.