Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alien

In what language should I contemplate? Does it matter?

7 posts in this topic

I'm a native German speaker but I lived on south Africa for couple years and my English is nearly the same quality as my German. Does it matter if contemplate in mixed language? Do I have to choose one?.

Edited by Alien

Why you asking us? 

Go contemplate it! ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Alien Same. But for me Spirituality is an English-only thing. Contemplating or talking about any of these concepts in German feels just wrong and even kind of silly tbh.

8 minutes ago, DnoReally said:

@Alien Same. But for me Spirituality is an English-only thing. Contemplating or talking about any of these concepts in German feels just wrong and even kind of silly tbh.

I know what you mean. In german these concepts sometimes seem to sound silly and to miss the point. But why is that the case? Maybe thats a trap. Maybe contemplating these concepts only in english prevents you to make the connection to the concepts you use in everyday life, which is in german?

I mean maybe thinking those concepts sound silly in german i really a preconception towards those concepts that you internallized from your environment?

And maybe switching languages from time to time can give you more perspectives on what something is or what to contemplate about it.

For example "What is consciousness?" You may contemplate it a while and then switch to german and ask "Was ist Bewusstsein?". And suddenly you realize there is the word "sein" in "Bewusstsein" (in english "sein" means "being" and "bewusst" mean "conscious" or "aware"). So you might wonder what is the connection between consciousness and being? Can there be being (sein) without consciousness (Bewusstsein)...

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Why you asking us? 

Go contemplate it! ;)

OoOoOoOoOoH , that was a good one , I will go contemplate why I have found that  comment a good one ?

5 hours ago, intrastellar said:

For example "What is consciousness?" You may contemplate it a while and then switch to german and ask "Was ist Bewusstsein?". And suddenly you realize there is the word "sein" in "Bewusstsein" (in english "sein" means "being" and "bewusst" mean "conscious" or "aware"). So you might wonder what is the connection between consciousness and being? Can there be being (sein) without consciousness (Bewusstsein)...

True though.

@DnoReally might be you have an ambivalent relation to your first language, too. despite the logical/philosophical/mechanical understanding in different languages. i also feel more positive in english (mostly connected to travel and music and openmindedness) - maybe it’s about memories. english feels more free, because you can free yourself of your identity, partly. and it is in general a language that feels more lightweight (might be because i just developed it until a certain level, its still a not perfectly grown up language) but sometimes transferring it, can also change the relationship to your mother language. 

did you know, your mother language is „stored“ in a different area than all the other languages? means language until the age of three.

in that sense your ego or selfesteem might be different in different languages.

and there is one language that is very good in translation - but per definition, it’s not a language.

Edited by now is forever