metwinn

Interpret this bible quote

10 posts in this topic

I have my own interpretation of this quote but was just curious to see how other people interpret it also, thank you.

"You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your fathers desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

Surely it's referring to the ego. The thing that created "you", which cannot speak without telling a lie, etc... etc...

take some shrooms and kill ur ego, brah, that's what jesus was sayin

It belittles the reader by noting his lack of freedom, to convince him to become aware he is perpetuating the conditioning his father had. He’s biblically saying WAKE TFU!

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

45 minutes ago, metwinn said:

I have my own interpretation of this quote but was just curious to see how other people interpret it also, thank you.

"You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your fathers desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

It's talking about our sinful nature, I guess you could call it your "ego". We are born in sin, we live in sin, we die in sin. You just do your best and accept the things you can't change and move on. 

Sorry, it's a little hard to elaborate more without knowing the actual verse location.

9 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@zoey101 Our sinful nature? We live in sin?  It sounds like you feel as if you’re being judged, ...maybe...a little? 

Well, according to the Bible, God has the final judgement. It was a Biblical question, so I answered it based on that. We sin even on our best day, but are saved by God's grace if we believe in Christ, it's kind of what the whole Bible talks about...

Just like we go to neverland by thinking happy thoughts.  O.o

Joking :D I think  :/

Edited by Jack River

@metwinn A poetic way to describe the ego. It will do whatever it takes to survive and preserve itself, often at the expense of 'seeing' reality as is, the truth . Transcend and integrate the ego in a healthy way, don't fight it or try to get rid of it. 'God' (the true Self, the Absolute) is just a shift in perspective away from the 'devil' (the ego, false sense of self).

Edited by Natasha

4 hours ago, metwinn said:

When you see and get off the wheel of samsara and nirvana as one thing. 

Thanks people. I thought as much