Viking

Fear of homosexuality

24 posts in this topic

@Viking If you took every sentence you wrote and replaced it with the exact opposite that would be me.

I'm gay and I've also had that exact same experience, the only difference is that I blamed it on different things.

Honestly you'll be fine. I don't know about you. But with me, my mind does that all the time, where it wanders on some stupid repetitive thought loop on some dumb topic it knows better not to worry on. I once thought I was racist, but then it went away.

What I usually do, is I mercilessly argue with my mind saying its a dumb topic and argue the fuck out of it. That's comforting, but if you want a dead on solution, I suggest mindfulness as a daily practice. But also if you ever notice yourself thinking about something negative like that, just try and focus in the present moment and don't let your mind argue. 

One theory I have based on my own observations, and the perspectives of gay men I've read about, is that homosexuality is a result of abnormal olfaction. After all, the sense of smell is the most powerful, the most vivid memories you have probably involved some sort of scent, and the scent of a woman you are intimate with colors your entire experience of her.

Straight men are naturally repelled by the scent of other males, and I believe this is by evolutionary design, specifically to prevent homosexual behavior. See, men could easily get their needs for sexual release, emotional intimacy and skin contact, with each other. The olfactory repulsion mechanism is there to prevent this from happening, and it works perfectly for heterosexual men.

Gay men often describe being deeply aroused by "man musk" smells, the same aromas which make straight men want to gag. Whether this was the case form birth or something in their diet or environment damaged their sense of smell, I can't say. I would say that the real gay test would be to go into a smelly locker room and see how you react. If it smells completely disgusting to you, you're probably straight as a laser.

Can't say if it would work the other way around, since male scent is much stronger and noticeable than female scent, and women don't seem to have the same mechanism since female to female intimacy wasn't a threat to procreation in ancient times. Men doing homosexual behavior instead of mating with women was a threat to the survival of the human species, so nature had to find clever ways to prevent it form happening.

19 hours ago, XYZ said:

female to female intimacy wasn't a threat to procreation in ancient times. Men doing homosexual behavior instead of mating with women was a threat to the survival of the human species, so nature had to find clever ways to prevent it from happening.

To clarify, my assumption was that if, say 5000 years ago, some females engaged in homosexual behavior, it wouldn't prevent the males from coming in and mating with them. However, if some males decided it was better to just be homosexual with each other rather than compete against each other to mate with the females, less reproduction would occur. So male homosexuality was selected against in our evolution, and mechanisms to prevent it were selected for.  These are just broad generalizations though, as certainly some groups of males have engaged in regular homosexual behavior yet still procreate with women, as is the case in certain ape species as well as modern humans.