Peter Zemskov

Best places for living in nature

12 posts in this topic

I'm 15 years old and my dream when i'm going to grow up is to have an isolated place somewhere in nature to which I can come to rest of civilization. I don't want to live isolated but I certainly want to have an isolated place where I can go to and where nothing will distract or worry me.

My question is really simple. What are the best natural places I can go to live in, in europe? The only thing that I want from that place is isolation, lots of greenary and it has to be in europe. Those of you who travel a lot can you advise me something?

Baltic countries are perfect for that. I am from Latvia, studying and will have career elsewhere, but my dream forest house will definitely be there because Baltics are mostly forests especially Latvia, but honestly any European country has some isolated spot where you could live, It also depends on your career as most lower economical status will be less populated and more likely to have perfect spot for you, but It has downsides too.

1 hour ago, see_on_see said:

Get a car and go live somewhere relatively isolated in nature but still within 20-30 mins by car from the city. That way you get the best of both worlds. 

Translation: Move to Marin County on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge in the SF Bay Area

2 hours ago, RabbitHole said:

Baltic countries are perfect for that. I am from Latvia, studying and will have career elsewhere, but my dream forest house will definitely be there because Baltics are mostly forests especially Latvia, but honestly any European country has some isolated spot where you could live, It also depends on your career as most lower economical status will be less populated and more likely to have perfect spot for you, but It has downsides too.

I know. But there's a problem. Some baltic people really dislike russians (for a good reason though) and as a russian I don't feel that its safe. Normally people who live in rural areas are less concious and they may hate me because i'm a russian. I heard stories that houses in small villages have been burned by the hateful locals when the owner left. I just won't be able to leave my house and go.

@kieranperez Wow I was just talking to a friend yesterday how Marin County is special, I used to live there and moved to Los Angeles, did you know Alan Watts had a Cabin in Mt Tamalpais? and Shugin used to live in Sausalito, the author of the book Mastery George Leonard lived around there too. Terrence Mckenna died there.. many people, such a beautiful place... I miss it.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

Portugal. I just went there two months ago. I tell you, there is something about the land. It definitely has a strange good energy about it. Also there are tons of secluded places there. The ocean and beaches are out of this world beautiful. I would love to live there one day, definitely. Also there live quite a few shamans and spiritual seekers.  

IMAG0369.jpg

Edited by Samra

I studied what would be the best place to live and potentially die bla bla.

My requirements were that  I wanted it to be close to Europe, language that I can potentially learn :) , good weather during the year (20-25 or so), great nature, reasonable health-care (not that yogies need it). 

I end up thinking that the place where I would like to live is/are Canary Islands so I went there in January, specifically, to Gran Canaria island and I traveled around etc.

To be honest, I already had plans for schools, potential jobs, potential properties, and other relevant stuff.

However, it was all a lie, I had the worst time I could have there because it was really cold (7-18), windy, rainy, not friendly people etc, ok, it was not all that bad.

It completely crashed my vision but I realized when I returned home (Slovakia) that I do not have to move anywhere and I'm fine whenever I go or move.

All is matter of perspective ! :D 

On 7/26/2018 at 3:03 PM, see_on_see said:

Get a car and go live somewhere relatively isolated in nature but still within 20-30 mins by car from the city. That way you get the best of both worlds. 

I second this. 

Sure! You can move to a place that is completely surrounded by nature. 

But in every city, there are always parks and nearby places where you can hide out in nature. 

I would highly recommend spending time in nature right now.

Go today, even.

Look at google maps and look at where you see greenery around you. You might discover a ton of new places near your hometown!

I am saying this because we often dream about living in "other magical places" and don't discover the magic in our hometowns. And we miss out a lot when we do this.

Edited by Brittany

@MsNobody yes. I lived in Lucas Valley for 11 years and I’m back in SF now unfortunately. I lived 2 miles down the road from lead singer of Metallica and 3 miles down the road from Skywalker ranch in Lucas Valley where Joseph Campbell often stayed. Also, Jack Kornfield is in West Marin at Spirit Rock. Vedanta Society is in Olema in Point Reyes. SF Zen Center has a Center in Muir Beach. 

420 also started at San Rafael high school and Robin Williams went to Redwood High School.

Theres a lot in Marin that people wouldn’t think of.

Problem with Marin as with all of the Bay Area is just how hard it is to even find a place to live. The other is being able to afford to live here. Especially Marin. 

Watch the movie "Into the Wild" from 2007

"It is the emptiness within the cup that makes it useful."