YogiLogan

31 books in 31 days challenge

12 posts in this topic

I'm here to clarify my intent and make myself accountable. I'm going read one book a day for the whole of August, totaling 31 books. If anyone wants to join in they are free to. 

If you think unrealistic to read that many books, then I challenge you especially. 

You can use audiobooks and ebooks. Actually, I prefer audio books because of the 2X speed function. You can take a book that takes 7 or so hours and half the time. Finding 3.5 hours of time where you can listen doesn't seem that extreme.  In the rare case, you cant read a full book one day, you are allowed to read/listen to a book summary. But don't rely on these, your only cheating yourself. 

I know some books are extremely long and so it is allowed to read it over multiple days as long as finish one book every day. 

You have a week to prepare if you want to join in. 

:)

Will you remember anything? :o

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

I like your ambition.  You sound like me when I was younger.  Keep it up.  Even if you don’t get it all done, you’re still gonna get a lot of it done.  I have a Course of Study that I created for myself and others in my Journals — I think it’s in my Journal Vol. 3 where I start to set it out (see my Profile Page for my Journals).  I’ll be working on mine too as you work on yours. Happy working!  What you work on is what you improve.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

But don't you like to "let it sit" and contemplate a book for a few days after you have read it? For me that's a juicy part of reading a book.

But go on and test it. I am curious to hear your opinion after you actually do it.

2 hours ago, YogiLogan said:

If you think unrealistic to read that many books, then I challenge you especially. 

I will stick with my challange of reading one book a month, that's already hard enough. :D

12 minutes ago, Soulbass said:

Hopefully you don't have "My Big Toe" on your list ^^

What's so special abobut this  book? I've seen it in Leo's book list

Edited by Hello from Russia

1 hour ago, Hello from Russia said:

What's so special abobut this  book? I've seen it in Leo's book list

it's 800+ pages, arial 6

Be cool with yourself, do some breaks.

Edited by Soulbass

6 hours ago, see_on_see said:

It's not so much that it's unrealistic, it's that it's silly and neurotic. The point of reading books is not just to "finish them", but to learn, contemplate deeply, change behaviour etc. It would be much more fruitful to take on a "one book every 1-2 months" challenge. 

That is way too slow and it is not a challenge, really, it is half-assing the education process.

With this ratio reading 100 books will take you 10 years, and 200 books - 20.

Imo, the optimal minimum for self-actualizing person is 1-2 books per week (1 book - 200-300 pages). But really, it should be more, especially once you get the hand on a material on how to read books properly which will both accelerate your speed and the value you get from them and especially the value\time ratio.

Edited by Hello from Russia

I have many 3-4-5star (audio)books and I can say that even if I had all in audio I would not be able to read 31 books in 31days. 

I cannot imagine reading Rudolf Spira in 1 day, also audio book was so sloooow, it took me maybe 1 week for few hours a day.

If you can get golden nuggets then you read review but can you believe review and can you have the same experience ? I doubt that.

My suggestion for your first book on such a challenge: "How to read a book" by Mortomer J. Adler and Charles van Doren.