Nahm

Sing

49 posts in this topic

A plea to consider the practice of singing. Among the many self actualizing benefits; confidence, humility, diaphramic breath control, awareness of connection with vibration and emotional resonance (the sound board / register),  greatly develops the elusive art of ‘letting go’ and releasing pent up tension, a deeper understanding of self & humanity (opens the mind up), and it’s a great hobby / practice that is enjoyable socially and can open doors (musicians work and network too). And if you’re having a little trouble with dating etc - it sure makes it easier.

A trap to watch out for: Singing properly could never be as ‘embodiment’ as ancient practices. Master breath control and the registers, and you master breathwork, and a deep unification arises.

Other benefits:

-Develops focus within your body, increasing self esteem and enhancing other actualizing practices

-Simultaneously calming & energizing (pairs so well with meditation)

-Improves posture

-Tones facial muscles and intercostal muscles. 

-‘free’ fun ab & lower back workout when done properly

-You’ll sleep more soundly

-it’s a natural antidepressant (releases endorphins & oxytocin)

-Lowers levels of cortisol (stress)

-Lowers stress levels & blood pressure, improving mindfulness

-Deepens your appreciation of music, and vocal mastery (one day you might just realize you wrote every song!)

-Improves cognition, concentration and focus dramatically

-Improves mind & heart health, proven to extend longevity (live longer)

-Increases empathy & compassion

-Increases lung capacity, enhancing breathing & increasing oxygen levels

-Memorizing lyrics is a fun way to improve memory

-A point is reached where you forget about “worrying what your face looks like while singing”, that little transcendence alone contributes to reduction of overthinking (monkey mind)

-Proven to boost immunity

-Develop flow state, a huge insight ‘releaser’

-Develops intimacy with God / self

-Reduces anxiety & improves quality of life 

-Can be a fun way to work through fears of public speaking and general social confidence & connection

-Develops presence

-It’s a great fun heathy practice to consider replacing an unwanted habit with

-Takes a while to get sounding good; reducing judgment and being critical of others - gaining insight to dedication, and appreciation for life & developed talents escalates

-You’ll get to see “I learned this and now I can do it...and this applies to everything else I want in life”

-You’ll go full circle with your relationship with the breath - try it - find out what that means 

It doesn’t matter if it sounds good, that’s not the point. Sing like you’re alone. The benefits are cumulative - stick with it. Youtube things like ‘how to sing properly’. ❤️

Where to start? 

See what it’s like to learn to sing properly in 30 days.

Notice the similarities between activating the kundalini and proper singing. One is a great opening of connection so to speak, for the other. The two together are quite powerful. 

Nonduality & Meditations         

Empty your head, fulfill your heart       

I totally agree :) I've been in music since I was three and when I feel down, mad, or even happy, I sing it out :) It also helped me with my speech. I had a small stuttering issue and the technique used to sing clear vowels and consonants helped SOOO much with my daily speech :) 

Edited by zoey101
spelling errors lol

Awesome thread @Nahm 

I've sung from a very young age. Particularly in high school, I was bullied and I used to come home and sing all evening, it released emotion and helped me to verbally express my feelings. If I hadn't of sung, god knows how it would of effected me long term. 

Singing has been my therapy and still is to this day.

Thanks Nahm 💚🙏

Edited by Charlotte

Enlightened Karaoke ;)

"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself." -- Rumi

@Nahm    Hey!  This is so true!!

I was going to post something about this... something that really helps is making mantra type sounds randomly throughout the day.

The trick is "letting them happen by themselves" like using your intuition to make them and just kind feeling like you are just letting the air out.

Some examples "heyyyyyyyy"  "ohmmmmm"  "maaaaa"  "raaaaam"   "yaaasaaaaa" 

Or whatever floats your boat lol.

After a while it feels so natural, like you realize that you have been conditioned to stay quiet and not make sounds but that they naturally are ways of expressing and releasing.

20 minutes ago, Nahm said:

A few breathing techniques I learned in chorus class really helped too :)

Tip 1: Lay flat on the ground and take a few text books (or any books, just need some weight on them) and breath in and out using your diaphragm. If you do this right, the books shouldn't move much because you are not supposed to "breath with your chest". You should be breathing "through your back" because the lungs have more space to expand that way. Wish I knew a better way to explain that

Tip 2: Sing to a candle. Just place it about a foot from your mouth and literally sing to it. If the candle keeps blowing out, you are releasing too much air and that prevents you from singing phrases, or lines in a song, all in one breath or keeps you from holding incredible notes for a cool amount of time. If you do it right, the candle should just dance for you while you sing (a little swaying back and forward with little "jumps" here and there). 

They sound crazy, and trust me, you will feel crazy when you try it, but it works!

Edited by zoey101

Cool post. Coincidental as I’m a music guy too and I’m considering getting singing lessons soon. Although drunkenly singing ABBA on a night out is always 👌

What about metal vocals though, that use harsh screaming/growling? 😂 The right techniques are meant to prevent vocal damage, so would that have the Same benefits? Haha just curious 😆

Cheers

-Rowan

13 hours ago, -Rowan said:

Cool post. Coincidental as I’m a music guy too and I’m considering getting singing lessons soon. Although drunkenly singing ABBA on a night out is always 👌

What about metal vocals though, that use harsh screaming/growling? 😂 The right techniques are meant to prevent vocal damage, so would that have the Same benefits? Haha just curious 😆

Cheers

-Rowan

There isn't a "safe" way to do screaming of any kind lol It will destroy your voice after a while, but I guess it will make it sound cooler for more screaming. If you want to just project louder in general, just push more air out while you are singing. You can get louder without actually screaming lol

On 7/25/2018 at 2:21 AM, Nexeternity said:

@Nahm    Hey!  This is so true!!

I was going to post something about this... something that really helps is making mantra type sounds randomly throughout the day.

The trick is "letting them happen by themselves" like using your intuition to make them and just kind feeling like you are just letting the air out.

Some examples "heyyyyyyyy"  "ohmmmmm"  "maaaaa"  "raaaaam"   "yaaasaaaaa" 

Or whatever floats your boat lol.

After a while it feels so natural, like you realize that you have been conditioned to stay quiet and not make sounds but that they naturally are ways of expressing and releasing.

Fucking this. A couple years ago I was going through a very negative period and I started doing this spontaneously. It helped a lot in releasing these incredibly negative emotions and I'm not sure how else I would have released them otherwise. Not that I had a choice, I just started making these mantra sounds naturally, they just had to come out. 

This, as you say, made me think of how we're conditioned to think that doing something like this is batshit crazy. But I could clearly see that making these sounds actually has a powerful therapeutic effect, and what's truly gonna drive someone crazy is to keep it all in.

So I decided not to give an absolute fuck and I started doing the sounds whenever I wanted. Then I also started talking to myself out loud, which is great too. Why the fuck should I not talk to myself out loud? Why can I talk to anybody else, but not to myself?? xD I also found that to be therapeutic.

Then I thought, yo, I might as well start singing. I hadn't really been so much in touch with my own voice before then, so singing came naturally too, and I discovered it's something I always wanted to do, even tho my voice is what it is. But I don't care, it's purely about the act of singing. I had a million songs I knew that I could now sing and I had a ton of fun, and again, it also always helped releasing emotions, and it's just a beautiful thing to do. 

Now sometimes I even find myself talking or singing out loud while walking in the street, and I don't give a fuck xD It's great. 

Related: dancing. Just moving your body, especially to music, can be very therapeutic, and a great thing to do in general. 

On 26/07/2018 at 11:38 PM, Leo-Tzu said:

My shower is crumbling

I laughed harder than I should do to this 😂

I might be the last one to find this, but I thought I’d share it. This dude definitly ‘get’s It’.

Nonduality & Meditations         

Empty your head, fulfill your heart       

Be cautious with Ken Tamplin. There are rumours and proofs that he's not as competent as he markets himself. 

Edited by Amadeusz