Viking

does shadow work come before life purpose?

22 posts in this topic

im in the midst of the life purpose course (for who bought the course- at the start of the life purpose assessment, where you answer a ton of questions). I have my values and strengths, I worked unimaginably hard on my values for a few months. since I finished my values and moved on to the next part, the life purpose assessment, I got stuck, I had extreme motivation issues and no passion to want to have a life purpose. right now I simply dont want a life purpose, its just a means to survive for me. I got about 7 years of guaranteed work and university, so i have a lot of time to figure out what my life purpose is.

What I think is happening is that I have a lot of emotional blockages that I need to break through, I need to get a taste of what love is, im stuck at the bottom of maslow's hierarchy so i dont want life purpose "stuff" like contributing to society and being creative.

Do you think its wise to halt the life purpose course for now and to focus on emotional mastery, socialization and relationships? i need an outside opinion on this, i think its not too wise, but to do the life purpose course takes a lot of emotional labor because i dont want to do it, i dont feel any passion when doing it.

Well, if you don't want an LP, then why you taking the course?

That's like enrolling in a business class and saying, "But I don't want to run a business."

Don't do things just because I tell you. You must be intrinsically motivated to do them.

Follow your passion. Not my words.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

yes. life purpose isn't necessarily the best choice for you right now. i realized this too. i was chasing my LP for happiness, only to realize my specific needs were not found in life purpose currently, but in other things. 

it depends on what you need/want most right now

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Well, if you don't want an LP, then why you taking the course?

That's like enrolling in a business class and saying, "But I don't want to run a business."

Don't do things just because I tell you. You must be intrinsically motivated to do them.

Follow your passion. Not my words.

I genuinely wanted a life purpose before and i believe i still do, but after a year and especially after a few trips i got clearer on what i want and my motivations changed dramatically.

the course will be useful later on anyway.

No.  You should start working on Life Purpose right now.  You don't wanna find some excuse to put it off.  

@Joseph Maynor then how do i deal with the lack of passion i have towards it? the whole discovery of a life purpose comes out of passion.

7 minutes ago, Viking said:

@Joseph Maynor then how do i deal with the lack of passion i have towards it? the whole discovery of a life purpose comes out of passion.

Have you done Leo’s Life Purpose Course?  In my opinion he does a great job on touching on what you need to create and develop a powerful Life Purpose.  I would just do the Course asap.  Don’t over-think it.  You’re creating all these excuses.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Shadow Work never ends. You will do shadow work until you are 90 years old.

Edited by Brittany

48 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Have you done Leo’s Life Purpose Course?  In my opinion he does a great job on touching on what you need to create and develop a powerful Life Purpose.  I would just do the Course asap.  Don’t over-think it.  You’re creating all these excuses.

yeah, im doing the course, thats what this post is about, as i wrote.

im in the life purpose assessment part and im struggling to answer the questions because i dont care that much about what ill do in the future. im only worried about my survival for now.

44 minutes ago, Brittany said:

Shadow Work never ends. You will do shadow work until you are 90 years old.

yeah but there is urgent stuff that could be somewhat fixed, like social anxiety, emotion regulation.

also i meant not only shadow work, but stuff like having a relationship, experiencing fun stuff, going on adventures, taking psychedelics, etc.

Edited by Viking

1 minute ago, Viking said:

yeah but there is urgent stuff that could be somewhat fixed, like social anxiety, emotion regulation.

also i meant not only shadow work, but stuff like having a relationship, experiencing fun stuff, going on adventures, taking psychedelics, etc.

Having fun and adventure is your life purpose. Your life purpose should be the epitome of adventure.

You do not need to fix social anxiety before going after your life purpose. Lots of awkward and shy people went after their life purpose.

You also don't need to be a master of relationships before going for your life purpose. If you commit to a partner who "has a problem with your life purpose" you might die without ever seeing your life purpose fulfilled. So it's always better to choose a partner who is happy about you achieving your life purpose and wants to come along for the ride.

But if you feel overwhelmed, dropping the whole thing may be good for you.

Life purpose is not a straight line - it is really curvy and loopy. Giving up on "finding your life purpose" might bring you closer to it in the long run.

23 minutes ago, Viking said:

i dont care that much about what ill do in the future. im only worried about my survival for now.

If you are worried about survival, get that in check. 

But what are you calling "survival"? Survival is food, water and shelter. Are you missing one of these?

If not, what you are calling "survival" might be a body/mind issue which may be coming from self love issues or lack of mindfulness. I used to consider my emotional hunger towards relationships and people a "survival" thing but it was actually stemming from my self hatred and childhood traumas. And now I have many beautiful relationships, but I don't need any of them to be happy.

Good luck on your journey!

Edited by Brittany

@Brittany by survival i mean that currently i dont have a job and i depend on my parents because im studying. i need to figure out what to do in the world in order to earn money, survive later on.

I cannot dedicate more than 5 years of my life into a life purpose doing the same day after day even this is my passion. 

The problem is the actual job-timing. It doesnt matter how much you love what you are doing, whenever you doit 8 hours a day everyday you get wasted and tired. This schedule is anti-natural.

8 hours ago, Viking said:

@Brittany by survival i mean that currently i dont have a job and i depend on my parents because im studying. i need to figure out what to do in the world in order to earn money, survive later on.

(Here speaks the heretic:) Customize the course. Maybe the question list you got stuck on is not the right exercise for you. You've had motivation to work on your values, maybe you'll have motivation to find your zone of genius too.

Try doing as much as the course as you can right now, because otherwise you'll end up in the trap described by Moreira.

7 hours ago, Moreira said:

The problem is the actual job-timing. It doesnt matter how much you love what you are doing, whenever you doit 8 hours a day everyday you get wasted and tired. This schedule is anti-natural.

Try doing the course and find something you can do on your own, without an employer. Try doing the course and find out if you're studying the right thing. (Is your studies genuinely the most meaningful? Only you can know). Try finishing the course so that you know how you want to contribute, what change you want to achieve. Then start going in that direction. It will be harder once you work 9-5.

@Elisabeth you're right, I can come back to the course later to do it 100% properly. thank you, i think ill do that.

Edited by Viking

@Viking You don't need to determine a life purpose anytime soon (or anytime at all for that matter), but exploring the idea will still help you learn about yourself. Don't spend too much time theorizing and conceptualizing though; it sounds like you would benefit from exploring social dynamics. I recommend balancing your time: socialize and hang out sometimes, rest alone and reflect other times. Balance. The LP Course is merely a tool to help you reflect. There is no need to complete it and there is no need not to.

@Feel Good thank you, man. I commit to finishing the course fully IN ORDER even though i might hate it and come up with excuses. I will do I think a few days intensive to contemplate the course really deeply, because im tired of being dust in the wind.

@0000will0000 I dont have places in my town where I could socialize with people my age, the average age is 62. I am planning on going outside of town, though that will take money and that's limited.

@Viking Don't spend too much time contemplating survival. It's not as important as you think. Contemplation of death is in fact a better use of your time. ;)

@Viking Okay to socialize with older folk. They might have valuable wisdom. Though, beware: if they have been living in delusion, then they have been living in delusion longer, so they will be more stubborn to defend it. And they've had more time to practice persuading and charismatizing their delusion, so they'll be more "convincing." Socializing with peers is important too, though. I highly recommend travel. Almost at any cost. Travel is extremely important for self-actualization, at least in the beginning stages. The more you travel, the more you will realize you don't need to travel; but you must first travel to learn this. Travel and life experience are perhaps more important than reflection, meditation, and contemplation at the early stages of self-development.