Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mila

Accident survivor

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I had a near-fatal blunt force chest trauma (BFCT) accident on 10/30/16: broken sternum, 7 broken ribs, pneumothorax, and a-fib, followed by two bouts of pneumonia, more a-fib, and PTSD. I am very grateful to the many people who saved my life and helped me recover thus far. I survived, but the recovery is very long. Now I can do most activities that I did before the accident, but I still struggle with sometimes brutal fatigue. I don't know if that means more healing needs to happen or if I will always be tired this way. One thing I discovered recently that helps is to rest when I am tired, rather than when I am done with whatever task I am on. When I was growing up, I was taught to work until I was done and then rest.

I have read some articles about my kind of injuries and recovery on PubMed. It is clear that followup research on recovery has always been difficult for BFCT. Information about the extent of recovery is incomplete, but my doctors have helped in every way they can. My heart and breathing have tested okay. My PTSD is essentially gone, although I still avoid listening to and watching acts of physical violence. I have some friends, but have become more isolated than I used to be.

So, I am not the same person as I was before, although I have a good—if less active—life. I don't know if I will recover more or if this is "it". Sometimes I handle interpersonal communications better than other times. Sometimes I am moody or less tolerant. Sometimes I have a lot of arthritis pain from having been inactive so long during recovery, or a leg or knee will slip out from under me as I walk up the stairs. Sometimes, if I have been more active than usual, it takes days for me to recover even a little energy to do things. I did go to PT for a while, but they could only do so much.

Studying Stoic philosophy has helped me emotionally, but is not always relevant to my particular situation. Is there someone on the forum who can share with me how s/he feels about and deals with life after a traumatic accident or perhaps a difficult illness? I would like to learn to handle my situation and communications more gracefully. 

@Mila sure. i've had a few spontaneous pneumothoraxes in the past and now they're gone. my lungs are perfect.

hatha yoga was the key for me. in your place, i'd search for a good yoga teacher (their classes are usually a little bit more expensive than the average price).

unborn Truth

Hi @ajasatya. How did yoga help your recovery? Or, do you mean meditation? 

thanks, @Durka_Durka

@Mila meditation did help, but i was referring to the recovery of the body specifically.

hatha yoga is perfect for fixing your posture and healing/improving your breath capabilities. it helps to open up the chest structure and to strengthen all the muscles that support the spine.

keep in mind that it's not easy (and it shouldn't be easy anyway). healing such a gross layer of Being (the physical body) requires a lot of effort. also, there will certainly be pain.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

I am sorry to hear what you went through. It must have been horrible.

1 hour ago, Mila said:

One thing I discovered recently that helps is to rest when I am tired, rather than when I am done with whatever task I am on. When I was growing up, I was taught to work until I was done and then rest.

Interesting insight... 

Healing might take a long time, and you can’t force the process.

If you decide to take yoga classes, make sure you don’t force yourself too much. 

Reiki and Tai Chi might also help you. 

Here’s a song that has helped time and time again:

“You Can’t Rush Your Healing”, by Trevor Hall

I hope you get well! ?

4 hours ago, ajasatya said:

thanks, @Durka_Durka

@Mila meditation did help, but i was referring to the recovery of the body specifically.

hatha yoga is perfect for fixing your posture and healing/improving your breath capabilities. it helps to open up the chest structure and to strengthen all the muscles that support the spine.

keep in mind that it's not easy (and it shouldn't be easy anyway). healing such a gross layer of Being (the physical body) requires a lot of effort. also, there will certainly be pain.

Oh, I see. I have tried a few kinds of yoga in the past, but they have all been too painful, due to stiffness and arthritis. However, I started tai chi recently and that has been great for me, both mentally and physically. I live on a mini-farm, too, so gradually rebuilding my ability to do chores and to ride my horse have been helpful. The harder part is learning to deal with or accept limitations resulting from my injuries, and how to interface with the world.

I've been telling people that I tire easily, so they won't expect too much of me. I think that's a good idea, but, frankly, it feels awkward. Most communication feels awkward now and I keep withdrawing into a more isolated lifestyle. But I still have a few friends who put up with me :-)

I can't imagine how awful it must have been to have multiple pneumothorax events! One was bad enough. My other lung was partially collapsed, too. It was so hard to breathe. It was wonderful to read your lungs are perfect now.

4 hours ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

I am sorry to hear what you went through. It must have been horrible.

Interesting insight... 

Healing might take a long time, and you can’t force the process.

If you decide to take yoga classes, make sure you don’t force yourself too much. 

Reiki and Tai Chi might also help you. 

Here’s a song that has helped time and time again:

“You Can’t Rush Your Healing”, by Trevor Hall

I hope you get well! ?

@Gabriel Antonio  Thank you for the kind thoughts and music link, Gabriel. Great song!

Not fighting the recovery time is really hard, but I agree it is what it is. Sometimes I wish I could go to sleep and wake up when it's over. It's difficult getting just the right mix of rest and exercise, so I wear myself out sometimes. But then I pick myself up and try again.

I love Tai Chi!