Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cudin

Gurdjieff and Spiral Dynamics

2 posts in this topic

Are you guys familiar with Gurdjieff's work?

I was contemplating about Spiral Dynamics, and I think there might be a connection between Gurdjieff's concept of Man 4 ( the person that knows he/she is asleep, but have not awoken yet), and Spiral Dynamics Yellow stage. Of course, it's not a perfect correlation, because in Gurdjieff's times (1866 - 1949), there might not even be green vMemes circling around. What stroked me was the point of going meta, and seeing the ABSOLUTE need to lead a self-actualizing life, or just keep having a miserable time on earth, like most human beings.

I would love to know your 2 cents about it.

http://www.doremishock.com/ouspensky/mannumberseven.htm (link for contextualizing the discussion)

Edited by Cudin

It’s difficult to correlate the two. Gurdjieff’s division speaks of man as what is dominant in him - instinct, emotion, intellect but he remains with many I’s - each pulling him in a different direction. It is difficult to valuate oneself. The spiral theory is self-defined as a theory. Gurdjieff and other great spiritual teachers don’t postulate - then go about trying to prove. They investigate fact. That is why they say ‘observe yourself’, go inside yourself etc... what in me can I recognize as fact? If we are really honest we realize we don’t know what we are. And the search begins- but from the inside out - not by postulating.

If you’re interested in the Gurdjieff work go to one of the Foundations near you like the NY Foundation and related groups. I also recommend Robert Rose for a more empirical study of oneself.