Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
electroBeam

Book Request - Phenomenology and/or Perception

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys! I'm looking for a book on Phenomenology that does the following:

- radically changes your perspective on the materialist paradigm so much that you are totally aware of the materialist paradigm, and have obtained the ability to see the world from a Phenomenological perspective.

- explains what phenomenology is, and gives techniques on how to enter the phenomenological paradigm

book on perception:

Again like the above, I'm not looking so much for a materialist view of the world, I want to see it from an empirical, qualia type of perspective.

I don't think a book could have that impact, to radically change your perspective of the materialistic paradigm. But it can give you key insights.

"Doors of perception" [ Aldous Huxley ]

There is a very broad range of books from Mr Alan Watts.

I've read " The Joyous Cosmology " and "Become what you are".

They are all interesting and fun. 

Listen to Pink Floyd while you read ! Just kiddin ^_^ or maybe not ;)

@electroBeam That "book" is called psychedelics ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Martin Heidegger's "Being and Time".
It may fuck you over big time, like it did with me.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@Leo Gura I'm curious, did you ever wrote down your thoughts while tripping ? I found it very interesting to see same concepts in different states and use words/feelings as gates between perspectives.

@tsuki Thank you for the suggestion, I had no idea this book existed. Props ! ^_^

@Augustus Wow! Thank you ! 

Here's an idea : Can't we consider our linear thoughts as open books the moment we try to understand something by using observation interlocked with known knowledge, while questioning and searching for answers ? ^_^ 

Got inspired a long time ago from da Vinci, the master of observation 

Edited by Xenomorf
semantic error, further indenting

1 hour ago, Xenomorf said:

@Augustus Wow! Thank you ! 

Here's an idea : Can't we consider our linear thoughts as open books the moment we try to understand something by using observation interlocked with known knowledge, while questioning and searching for answers ? ^_^ 

Got inspired a long time ago from da Vinci, the master of observation 

You're welcome.

About your idea , are you saying we should observer our thoughts while our mind try to understand something? meaning that observe how our mind works. I am doing exactly that in order to "hack" my mind.

@Augustus  Thanks man!

@Xenomorf No unfortunately a book alone doesn't have that impact, but its a good way to trigger or catalyze themes of contemplation and inquiry.

@electroBeam Aye;) I initially thought you were expecting groundbreaking change just from books, I'm sorry ^_^. Other good ways to trigger that anti-materialistic state are the psychedelic visuals. For example

Here is a link to my playlist with some of the videos I like. There is a "Mandelbrot Fractal Zoom Out" (Edge of Inifinity) somewhere in that playlist, I find it very compelling, triggers me everytime :P

@Augustus Exactly ! The exact word ! Hack your own mind. I call it Thought Process Multithreading

As humans, we're already doing this. For example when reading a book, you get into reading the words and after a while you don't even realize you're seeing the words, you just think or imagine the dimensions of reality they reinforce.

Technical?

Build a thought process ("known knowledge"), thus becoming linear, up until the point where mind becomes clear in order to add new thoughts ("observation" and "question" but you can very well include comparisons with different models, etc). I think you can go wild with it although, to me, sometimes seems like building a card castle.

Hope you find this useful.

Cheers

Edited by Xenomorf
Stick to one post

@electroBeam

To me this type of observation-perception is quite effortless. I never was inclined to read books and so on. This may have somthing to do with why I can observe-perceive inward actualizations as well as the outward, without the veil of thought(experience, knowledge, memory) influencing that observation-perception. 

I wasn’t aware of this term phenomenology until I stumbled upon your thread here now. This seems to be similar to the way I see the inner workings of thought-self-experience and am able to move uninfluenced by that movement of time. 

I will check this out a little more. Although i wasn’t familiar with the term until now, this observational awareness is an all day affair for me. I feel this has paved the way for holistic perception, without the limitation of thought-self reducing that observation and causing partial seeing. 

Thanks for introducing me to this, even if it wasn’t intentional?

I feel it may perhaps help in my communication with what I share with others. 

I dont see any books, methods, being of any help, from my perspective that is. I feel that perhaps dependence on anything other than ones own seeing-observation may cause this inability to observe free of the accumulation of any type of knowledge acting as a barrier. But I’m not sure, this just seems to be the case from what I have observed. 

Thanks again. 

Edited by Faceless

Presence: The Art of Peace and Happiness - Volume 1 by Rupert Spira.

https://www.amazon.com/Presence-I-Art-Peace-Happiness/dp/1626258740/ref=dp_ob_title_bk?dpID=31%2Bq6%2B62hxL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=detail

A contemplative book which does not offer new belief systems but encourages real time empirical investigation on the nature of our present moment experience. Starting from our True self to mind, body, world.

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

Imagine you will die tomorrow - do you still need a new fancy car? ?

The next step is: imagine you will die in a few hours, in a few minutes, ...

Really imagine it as often as possible and realize that you can take NOTHING for granted!

P.S. Ups, and when I find myself giving advice, I know that I'm the one who needs it ?

Edited by Zweistein