Durka_Durka

To do one thing or many things?

8 posts in this topic

I've been really improving my own productivity lately, and I partly attribute that to increasing my consciousness through the six pillars of self esteem but also due to the fact that I've been unemployed and looking for part time work and found myself with much more time. And I've found that I've been doing lots of things better like keeping my routines more strong than they were before. My issue is, is that I want to take the life purpose course, and during that Leo did make a good point. That doing one thing at a time is better than doing lots of things at the same time. So you can ace that one thing. 

If I were to rate all the recent changes that I've been making in terms of how often I do them and the quality at which I do them, it'd be something like:

• Changing my wake up time - 7/10 - I usually get up almost straight away
  • Eating breakfast every day - 7.5/10 - I always eat a plate of vegetables in the morning but sometimes not much else
  • Cold showers - 6.5/10 - I sometimes have lukewarm/warm showers but I have cold showers more often
  • Taking care of my face and teeth - 8/10 - I now almost never miss this unless I really, really am in a rush and I always brush my teeth before bed, which I didn't do before
  • Gym - 9/10 - I go 4/5 times a week without fail
  • A healthy dinner - 7/10 - I don't eat extraordinarily healthy but I always have vegetables with my dinner (even if they're just salad greens) which is so much better than I did before and sometimes I would just skip eating dinner altogether
  • Meditation - 4/10 - My meditation now is nowhere near as strong as it once was, I now hear my mind much more faintly, which in some ways actually seems like a good thing but at the same time, I'm not sure if that means that my awareness has actually reduced
  • Journalling - 3/10 - This is almost always the thing that gets missed if I am too tired or just want to get an early night.

My point being that I am juggling all these things that are relatively new to me and I'm doing well in most of them, but I could be doing great if I stuck at it. I know how important the life purpose course is and I want to fully take it on, and I would definitely take it as seriously as I could. But would it be better to wait until all this stuff is at say at least an 8 before diving into something like the life purpose course? Which I could then totally fucking smash? 

Thoughts would be much appreciated. 

Having read this over again, I should make it more clear what my question is. 

In my situation, or do you believe in general, that it is better to do a lot of things reasonably well and let them develop over time or should I do one thing at a time and make sure that I absolutely ace it and then move on to something else?

Hi @Durka_Durka I think we do a lot of things at once, by default. I don't think you can do only one thing for a length of time, for example meditate for an entire day, and keep doing it until you feel you are good at it (if that makes sense). From the activities you write, it seems you can do all of them in a sequence and not have to choose one over the other.

Regarding tasks, it's better to do one thing until it's finished. For example, I make websites. I can make one website at a time, or multiple website at a time. But I found that making multiple sites at a time take away the momentum, so I prefer to build one website at time until it makes a sustainable profit.

Cheers!

I review self-help courses to find out which ones are good and not good: propelyourwealth.com

@denydritz I think you're probably right, I've bookended my day pretty nicely. It will probably feel more natural as I keep at it. 

With the tasks thing, I want to leave the Life Purpose course so I can fully focus on it and smash it once I can. But I'm in my early 20's and still living in my parents' house, without an income at the minute. I want to find my purpose and passion so that I can move straight into it, but I'm also weighing up that it'd probably be better to do that once I have my own place and life free from my family. I saw @Leo Gura talk about this in another comment: 

Get a job and move out. Until then, you're in a coping holding pattern.

It's important to break free of your family and forge your own life. Then you can set all the rules and values.

In your early 20's the #1 priority should be to master making a living for yourself so you are not anyone's slave, including not your boss's slave.

@Durka_Durka I think you should pass feeling natural as it seems you managed to get a firm grasp on your schedule throughout the week. I think you should start looking at things slightly different.

My opinon : shift your focus on ACE ing activities, one at a time, if this doesn't contradict your initial schedule too much. 

You aced the week ! You now have the pillars of self esteem. I don't think you need to focus on ace brushing teeth or eating better if it's healthy.

I'll share with you how I see things

A day has 24 hours.

A R.E.M. sleep cycle has 8 hours

Eating&shower&brushing sum up to aprox 1 hour.

I don't know how much gym you do in terms of hours spent but for the sake of this calculation I will assume a medium of 2 hours / day ?

You could stretch meditation to  1 hour / day ( or more) since you feel it isn't that qualitative and more of it's careful use throughout the day will reinforce what I wrote below. Careful use could be meditation for like 3-4 times but in smaller time lapses, between your working hours, for example.

This leaves you with ~ 12 hours in which you do journalling.

You successfully obtained half a day of unallocated time where you could start getting hardcore on one more thing besides ( but not excluding ! ) journalling : research. Your attitude towards this one thing ? Ace it !

Research on what ?

• Your skills
  • Your wishes
  • Your dreams
  • Financial independence
  • Proper management ( feelings, money, time etc )
  • Always make an evaluation of the things you achieved, learned, worked : at the end of the week. See where it needs improvement and do it.

I have a feeling you can work it out. On a personal note that's why I think The Pillars of self esteem are just pillars.

I think they work best when used as a support for the things you want to build upon.

You have your foundation.

Now, Ace the day ! 

// On a personal note, this helped me laugh at trivial problems when trying to get a grasp on a day's plan :)))

Hope this helps and wish you the best,

Cheers ^_^

Edited by Xenomorf

Have you taken a Myers-Briggs type indicator test to check what kind of personality you have?  I did the one on 16 personalities and that one was has been very helpful.

Your personality may not fit into being completely organized & in control from top to bottom.  And each personality type still has its own type of masters from all walks of life.

@smd I'm either an ENTP or INTP depending on how I'm feeling, right now definitely INTP