DocHoliday

What Stage Would you Classify your Parents in? (Poll)

What stage would you classify your parents in?   79 members have voted

1. 1. What stage would you classify your parents in?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

This is a very interesting topic, love it.

When I was a child my parents were Green. They were part of the hippie movement that separated the world into hip vs. square, and they took what they saw as the revolutionary progressive path. Compared to their parents, they were real radicals, but nothing strange by todays standards.

Like many north American kids of their generation, they were brought up very heavy Blue, and then when the hippie movement happened, there was a massive youth rebellion against that paradigm to a basically stage green ideal. Sometimes it really was just an ideal that people were reaching for and having a hard time realizing, but they did a good job of the act. 

As they aged they broadened, and regressed somewhat into the programming that they were brought up with, which is natural. It's hard to overwrite your own code, and also ageing can naturally lead to more conservatism because you can become attached to the old days and old ways.

Now my Mom is in more Blue/Orange/Green territory, and my Dad is an odd Red/Orange/Turquoise.

I see this same revolution play out today in North America with children of fresh immigrant families. Often these are families coming from very stage Blue old-world societies, and their kids want to embrace a more Orange/Green even Yellow norm, and you get these cultural clashes within families. 

It looks to me like urban "millenials" are pushing forward a more Yellow paradigm, and actually building on the ideals that the hippies set up, and that Gen X tried to realize. You see a lot of collaborative and inter-disciplinary approaches to problem solving. There's a big softening of the ego, there's a lot less rock stars on pedestals for instance. In the celebrity world, no one gets points for posing like they're better than the rest, it's a lot more about being on the same level, tweeting with fans etc. In the art world, the myth of the Maestro has faded, and the work and the community is much more important. The individual is less important than the movement. There's the whole crowdfunding thing, the sharing economy, and ideas like sustainability are top priority.

That's by perspective as a north american cusp Gen X/Millenial, child of hippies. Hope someone read all that.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandish Hah, me too. Very interesting indeed, and reaffirming as well. 

EDIT: The mixture of your dad's stages is quite peculiar:D Would love to hear more about him/further details to how this mixture comes about, if you'd like to share it of course.

Edited by DocHoliday

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

The mixture of your dad's stages is quite peculiar:D Would love to hear more about him/further details to how this mixture comes about, if you'd like to share it of course.

Thanks for reading.

Yeah it is weird. He's kind of like a Donald Trump type character with some Alan Watts mixed in if you can imagine that. I guess the mixture came about because he was a green hippie who explored psychedelics, meditation and all that, and became somewhat advanced spiritually as he aged, but simultaneously has a lot of addiction to money, booze, ego, and very involved and successful in the business world. He's a guy who has legit (mild) psychic abilities and interactions with spirit beings, non-dual experiences, and has had some near-death experience. Some of this stuff is show-offy, like he really wants to be seen as a kind of mystic, which can be repulsive, but it's actually a bit true.

@outlandish Ah, so he’s a bit of a Zen-Devil, isn’t he?? Very interesting, thanks for elaborating. 

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

mom - heavy blue

dad - heavy orange , tiny bit of blue left. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

9 hours ago, DocHoliday said:

@outlandish Ah, so he’s a bit of a Zen-Devil, isn’t he?? Very interesting, thanks for elaborating. 

Oh yeah! I've listened to Leo's Zen-Devil episode, but never put 2+2 together to realize that's my Dad. Interesting how an outside perspective can really point out the obvious. Cheers.

My Dad like all good parents has been as much an example of what to be as what not to be. 

Even though my mom is not religious, I'd still put her somewhere between blue and orange, since she still seems to have a lot of internalized morals and guilt. However I feel like she is trying very very hard to change that (which is a good thing) but she is doing it in such a tensed manner. She just cares way too much about the way she appears, what she can or cannot do and all that. Also she is very materialistic, not really in a "wealth" kind of way, more in the sense that she doesn't want to give up (or realise) any part of the luxurious life she has. So because of that, I'd give her a fair amount of orange as well.

My dad is very difficult for me to classify. He definitely has a lot of orange, because he very firmly believes in all things "science". Also he worries a lot about my material future. But at the same time he is a very well-read and educated man (even though he only went to school until he was 13). He tends to educate himself about certain topics from several points of view. I'd probably give him about 20% of yellow, even though he does not have a lot of green. But maybe I just don't know him well enough.