DocHoliday

What Stage Would you Classify your Parents in? (Poll)

What stage would you classify your parents in?   79 members have voted

1. 1. What stage would you classify your parents in?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

Let's see what background we all come from and how we've been brought up. You can also share your story of how you relate to your parents presently and how you dealt with your upbringing being in (potential) conflict with advancing yourself and finding your own way in life. 

Edited by DocHoliday

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

Unfortunately I can't vote myself, but if I could, I'd vote Heavy heavy Blue for my mom and Light Blue/Orange for my dad. As I'm currently still living at home with my parents (at age ~20) it has become a really intense struggle to put up with my mom because she's extreeemely rigid in her behaviour and super moralistic in addition to that. She still values old-fashioned family-values and traditions and always tries to establish a certain "order of decency, authority and power" which is unbelievably limiting in terms of progress and advance in general, let alone self-actualisation. I could go into more detail on her that would be pages long but essentially she's making everyone's life in our family much more difficult than it would need to be, and especially mine, since I'm the one who always tries to point out to her how she's behaving and how it is limiting everybody else (which of course only ever results in very negative reactions and consequences for me in return). Subconsciously and sometimes even consciously she intentionally refuses to learn new things or to make any progress whatsoever as she obviously very firmly believes that she should be correct and right about everything she says and does. I couldn't classify myself as yellow if I dind't say that I wouldn't understand her position and that I don't really blame her for the way she is, but sometimes it's just flat-out frustrating nonetheless.:S

Edited by DocHoliday
Reason for Edit: Grammar

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

Mom : Blue / Orange / Green
Dad : Red / Blue / Orange

@DocHoliday Huh, why would you put in four shades of blue and no orange-green mixture? Biased? ;)

My parents are hard to peg. 

My dad is a scientist. Not being in reaction against the other tier-one stages, he's the best kind of orange -- sadly not aware enough of his own emotional world to move to real green. 

I'd say my mom is blue-green mostly, having green compassion but lacking spirituality, with an orange rational world-view but in heavy reaction against orange libertarianism and marketing, with some blue limiting ideas about how life is supposed to be. 

Their shared values would be a stable love for each other, work and responsibility, pragmatism, an ethics that includes solidarity with others. So it's a real mixture of all colors. 

@Elisabeth Yeah I have to admit, that selection was created slightly biased because I already assumed that there would be way more votes for the blue section than for any other one for that matter.:ph34r: But it's indeed stories like yours that make it that much more interesting to see where intentionally prejudicial assumptions do not apply perfectly:) 

Edited by DocHoliday

3 hours ago, DocHoliday said:

But it's indeed stories like yours that make it that much more interesting to see where intentionally prejudicial assumptions do not apply perfectly:) 

Yeah, trying to apply the model on my mom actually makes me doubt it a lot :)

I voted blue-orange, although I have to admit my dad had a lot of green. He was raised blue but became a very orange, highly educated entrepreneur who chased money. However, he was surprisingly open-minded. He left a plethora of books, including topics such as "how to heal with your hands", which I really started to notice only after having advanced to more green myself. My mom's open-minded reaction to the book topics has been a nice surprise; it seems she is not as rigid in her beliefs and materialistic as I thought :)

I think I have avoided "color conflict" for most of my life by adopting a kind of a blue right-wrong attitude: what your parents say is right ("you have to go to university"), and it is your duty to adhere to their values.

Very dysfunctional orange

“Man’s faith in God is measured by his confidence in himself... Your faith in God is measured by your confidence in yourself, because your true self is God.”  - Neville Goddard

36 minutes ago, Greenbirch said:

I think I have avoided "color conflict" for most of my life by adopting a kind of a blue right-wrong attitude: what your parents say is right ("you have to go to university"), and it is your duty to adhere to their values.

@Greenbirch Yeah, that shit is killing me man... since I can remember I always had to fight and rebel against my parents sense of "proper" values and morals; it was always way too limiting for me, and still is to this day. 

Edited by DocHoliday
Reason for Edit: Grammar

My mom is purple/blue. She is too strict about Islam. In the past, she used to tell me and my siblings about the different clans in our home country, and how she hated some of those clans. Nowadays she is a lot more into Islam. One of the reasons is that as she gets older she is becoming more conscious of her death and the limits of this life. And she is becoming more religious than she used to be.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

My parents are very catholics and are probably in Blue. I think that after my psychosis, they started to become more Orange. They love me too much and they struggled a lot to understand what was happening to me (even if it was with the mainstream scientific model of psychosis, which is very materialistic).

@Artaemis Whow that sounds quite... radical. Very intersting insight into your perspective though, thanks for sharing!

19 hours ago, DocHoliday said:

@Greenbirch Yeah, that shit is killing me man... since I can remember I always had to fight and rebel against my parents sense of "proper" values and morals; it was always way too limiting for me, and still is to this day. 

Right! I keep finding these blue-type thinking patterns, even though they are not about the normal blue values. It's like orange values packaged in a blue box or something ("you need to make a ton of money or else there is something profoundly wrong with you"). Not sure if I am overthinking this, or if it's valid to classify a pattern of thought with a color, no matter what the thoughts are actually about. Would it be useful to utilize this model to say that family values can stay in us as these blue-type, very absolute values that our subconscious or even conscious mind uses to guilt us? Like having a "religion" inside your subconscious mind in which your family's values are the word of a very unforgiving god. And as long as these thought patterns are there, a part of us is blue, no matter where we are on the spiral otherwise...

Does Laziness and Irresponsiblity count as Green? 

Edited by George Fil

@George Fil Spiral Dynamics is more concerned with values rather than personality traits. Therefore: No. 

@George Fil orange.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

My mum has gotten more into the green zone after retirement. She got interested in yoga and meditation, and I voted for green but, she's starting to see the big picture. Last time I saw her she was reading Eckharte Tolle and was really into enlightenment. I can say she's turning into yellow.

My dad is a nationalist and although he has some hints of orange, he's mostly blue. Now to think about it, I've always wondered how mum could tolerate him and his closedmindedness. Maybe it's because she always had some yellow within her which allowed her to accept him as he is much more than I can.