Leo Gura

Yellow/Turquoise Science Lectures Mega-Thread

20 posts in this topic

There are a lot of great cutting-edge physics and science lectures available on Youtube these days, so I thought it would be nice if we started to pool the best ones.

Please think twice before posting a science video here. We want really good videos which demonstrate high Yellow/Turquoise holistic science. Find videos which are really big picture or have some larger metaphysical, epistemic, or spiritual implications. I'm thinking of stuff akin to the work of visionary scientists like Einstein, Niels Bohr, David Bohm, etc.

Stuff that is post-materialist, post-rationalist. Stuff that's outside the box and really captures the imagination.

Of course we shouldn't expect these scientists to really fathom nonduality. Most of them will still be materialists and still stuck in their models. But still, they will often say interesting tidbits which dovetail with nonduality.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Edited by Karlos

I noticed couple of things about these videos :

1. They are about cosmology or quantum mechanics, is that reference to yellow/Turquoise  thinking of the big picture? But you need to consider the big picture no matter what you do in your life "big picture" does not mean you should think about the universe all the time but to consider everything that might get affected because of your decisions, even small decisions .

2. There is no such thing as "post-rationalist", sure it's sexy statement, but it does not exist, everything is logical , and I am talking about Logic in very broad sense , I am not referring to Formal Logic or Mathematics, so I am talking about reason, you can't argue against reason because you need reason to argue in the first place, if you say logic is bad because , for example : Gödel's incompleteness theorems , you are using reason to think about Godel's theorem as an example of anti-logic or something. Realizing limits of logic is logical and reasonable so reason is the foundation of everything.

Reason or Logic does not imply materialism or Scientism, of course science can't answer everything and matter may not exist, but you need Logic to understand all of this.  

Edited by Augustus

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

2. There is no such thing as "post-rationalist", sure it's sexy statement, but it does not exist, everything is logical , and I am talking about Logic in very broad sense , I am not referring to Formal Logic or Mathematics, so I am talking about reason, you can't argue against reason because you need reason to argue in the first place, if you say logic is bad because , for example : Gödel's incompleteness theorems , you are using reason to think about Godel's theorem as an example of anti-logic or something. Realizing limits of logic is logical and reasonable so reason is the foundation of everything.

There definitely is such a thing as post-rational. You just haven't gotten there yet.

What you are saying is still within the Aristotelian linear logical paradigm.

The point of Godel's Incompleteness Theorem is that it cannot be understood via logic. It is only understandable via intuition. You think you are using logic when really you are using intuition. You cannot encapsulate Truth mechanically. Or in other words: all logic relies on intuition.

But even that aside, there is something even deeper than Godel's theorems. Yes, Godel's work is still largely within the rationalist paradigm, however, that's just the departure point.

The point of post-rationalism is that you stop using reason entirely, you stop arguing, you stop proving, you stop communicating, you stop thinking.

Reason is not the foundation of anything. Reason is just word-games. The foundations of reality have nothing to do with human reason.

Reason or Logic does not imply materialism or Scientism, of course science can't answer everything and matter may not exist, but you need Logic to understand all of this.  

No, you don't need logic to understand all this.

And also, post-rational doesn't mean you stop using logic forever. It means you are capable of transcending logic when appropriate. Post-rational people are not irrational, nor do they reject all rationality. They are just able to go beyond it and they are aware of its limits.

Anything by Bruce Damer or Donald Hoffman would fit in here nicely I think. I've heard them both on several podcast interviews but haven't looked up their stuff on YouTube. I will try to find something later when I'm at a computer and post it if you think they're an appropriate fit @Leo Gura

11 hours ago, Augustus said:

you are using reason to think about Godel's theorem as an example of anti-logic or something. Realizing limits of logic is logical and reasonable so reason is the foundation of everything.

very good point there

Bruce Damer: Principal Scientist at DigitalSpace; Associate Researcher in the Department of Biomolecular Engineering at UC Santa Cruz; Associate of the NASA Astrobiology Center; Member of the International Society for the Study of the Origin of Life, and Founding Director of the Contact Consortium. He collaborates with colleagues developing and testing a new model for the origin of life on Earth and in the design of spacecraft architectures to provide a viable path for expansion of human civilization beyond the Earth. He began his career in the 1980s developing some of the earliest user interfaces for personal computers, led a community in the 1990s bringing the first multi-user virtual worlds to the Internet, and since 2000 supported NASA and the space industry on numerous simulations and spacecraft designs. He has spent 25 years chronicling the history of computing in his DigiBarn Computer Museum and curates archives of counterculture figures such as Dr. Timothy Leary, Terence McKenna and others.

This is one of his lectures but IMO his best stuff is on podcasts like his appearances on Joe Rogan, Tangentially Speaking, and the Duncan Trussel Family Hour.  Not exactly lectures, but much more chill and IMO more informative.

Donald Hoffman is an American quantitative psychologist and popular science author. He is a Professor in the Department of Cognitive Sciences at the University of California, Irvine, with joint appointments in the Department of Philosophy, the Department of Logic and Philosophy of Science, and the School of Computer Science.

Again, IMO, his best stuff is on podcasts like Third Eye Drops and The Astral Hustle.

Never mind that he is obviously advertizing to get a brain scan at his institute. I figured I would post it anyway because I'm fascinated by Neuroscience and wonder what impact it will have in the future. 

@Soulbass This lecture Stephen gives is grounded in material analysis which is what holds back the study of dreaming from getting into deep and profound territory. If you want to get into the deep end of the pool, start by reading "Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self" by Robert Waggoner, a colleague of LeBerge.

Lucid dreaming is a great example of where conventional science falls short, probably because if you want to do dream science that's acceptable to most materialists, you're limited to taking measurements in waking physical reality like measuring brain activity and REM. On top of that, dreams have their own twisted logic where, unless you are fully lucid, events that would seem totally unrelated in waking reality can be the symbolic and literal causes and solutions to and of each other, and this is exactly the kind of thing that leads materialists to dismiss the validity of dream experiences. If materialists explored and reflected on lucid dreaming, they might have to admit that they cannot differentiate between the "realness" of waking physical reality and dreaming, just as Leo discussed in his "Life is a Dream" episode. 

The deep end of the experience of lucid dreams can involve all kinds of things such as having contact with people who have died in physical reality, tremendously powerful meditation sessions, and nondual states including what Bon Budhist teacher Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche refers to as clear light experiences, which bear striking resemblance to some 5MeO-DMT trip reports. Waggoner describes in his book such an experience of pure being that he achieved through lucid dreaming.

The deep end of the science of dreams has yet to be explored. What are the physics of dream space, if any? Why do we dream? Can dreams be artificially generated, and if so, how? Can multiple people have the same dream, and if so, why and how does this occur? Is it possible to dream of past or future events? If time is an illusion, this may not be so farfetched. These are the kind of questions it would be nice to see investigated, but we lack the willingness, imagination, and maybe the resources to do so. 

Edited by waking_dreams