Leo Gura

Spiral Dynamics Stage Yellow Examples Mega-Thread

1,196 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The epitome of a Yellow dialogue:

It's long, but notice how distinctly non-ideological and self-aware it is. Tier 2 stuff.

Notice how different Yellow is from Green.

39:04-40:40 Reminds me of one time I talked about the difference between a Yellow approach to environmental issues like veganism vs. a Green approach, namely by taking a stategic, large-scale, "cold-hearted", statistical approach with the right values in mind, instead of merely changing your personal consumer habits as a compassionate emotional response to visceral images of things like animal suffering or social injustice. That way it cuts through the traps of confusing real solutions with adopting an identity.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

5 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

39:04-40:40 Reminds me of one time I talked about the difference between a Yellow approach to environmental issues like veganism vs. a Green approach, namely by taking a stategic, large-scale, "cold-hearted", statistical approach with the right values in mind, instead of merely changing your personal consumer habits as a compassionate emotional response to visceral images of things like animal suffering or social injustice. That way it cuts through the traps of confusing real solutions with adopting an identity.

Incredibly well said. Great example of 'transcend and include' as well, which also demonstrates a core difference between the statistical approaches of Orange and Yellow. I might also emphasize to Green that adopting a Vegan or a highly Eco-conscious lifestyle in a developed country like the United States is something of a privilege, and that there's a number of constraints that make this an unrealistic option for ordinary people who may be living in food-deserts, lacking in education, or facing survival challenges that make your values inimical to their way of life.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Credits to The_Alchemist for finding this picture:

iMU0OWY.png

Perfect illustration of the differences between Yellow vs. Orange, Kuhnian philosophy vs. logical positivism, revolutionary science vs. normal science, scientific genius vs. popularizer, paradigmatic vs. formal operational cognition, epistemological awareness vs. blindness.

21 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

iMU0OWY.png

Perfect illustration of the differences between Yellow vs. Orange, Kuhnian philosophy vs. logical positivism, revolutionary science vs. normal science, scientific genius vs. popularizer, paradigmatic vs. formal operational cognition, epistemological awareness vs. blindness.

Add Sean Carrol, Sam Harris, and Daniel Dennet to the idiot column for completeness ;)

And add Newton, Leibniz, Godel, and Cantor to the real scientist column.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

30 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Add Sean Carrol, Sam Harris, and Daniel Dennet to the idiot column for completeness ;)

And add Newton, Leibniz, Godel, and Cantor to the really scientist column.

Science vs Scientism. ;)

Dont look at me! Look inside!

13 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

iMU0OWY.png

Great stuff

Bunch of dirty *not so* old social Fives:D

Edited by Megan Alecia

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

First time poster and new to this so forgive me for stupid questions!

I've read that men like Jesus, Aristotle, Plato and the Buddha are Yellows.  They all existed 2000+ years ago though.  If people have to go through each level below, then how can they be Yellow when Orange didn't come into existence until 300 years ago and Green later than that and Yellow later than that?  One of the assumptions is incorrect if they are Yellows or they are not Yellows.  When they were alive the highest level of consciousness was only Blue therefore they can't be more than Blue.  A possible argument could be made that Jesus / Buddha aren't really only men (which can't be proven or denied) but that argument can't be made about Plato and Aristotle. I'm confused here.

Thoughts?

Justin

31 minutes ago, JustinNashville said:

I've read that men like Jesus, Aristotle, Plato and the Buddha are Yellows.  They all existed 2000+ years ago though.  If people have to go through each level below, then how can they be Yellow when Orange didn't come into existence until 300 years ago and Green later than that and Yellow later than that?  One of the assumptions is incorrect if they are Yellows or they are not Yellows.  When they were alive the highest level of consciousness was only Blue therefore they can't be more than Blue.  A possible argument could be made that Jesus / Buddha aren't really only men (which can't be proven or denied) but that argument can't be made about Plato and Aristotle. I'm confused here.

Thoughts?

Justin

I think they realized their rainbow nature ?? which transcends chronological progression of spiral colours

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

1 hour ago, JustinNashville said:

Thoughts?

Justin

While people like Aristotle and Plato were very advanced for thier time, it helps to place them in a historical context. The dominant SD-stage during thier era was Red, with Athenian Democracy representing very early Blue. Aristotle and Plato would probably be better classified as incredibly high functioning Blue. Remember that the emergence of Blue was a sign of moral progress at that time.

The Systems Thinking approach of Yellow would have been highly unlikely to develop in such an early era, before there was a cultural, philosophical, and scientific framework available to help facilitate it.

As to Jesus and Buddha, that's a bit trickier, since it's hard to separate the historical person and thier teaching from the thousands of years of mythology that developed around them; someone else might have more insights here.

Edited by DocWatts

2 hours ago, JustinNashville said:

I've read that men like Jesus, Aristotle, Plato and the Buddha are Yellows.  They all existed 2000+ years ago though.  If people have to go through each level below, then how can they be Yellow when Orange didn't come into existence until 300 years ago and Green later than that and Yellow later than that?  One of the assumptions is incorrect if they are Yellows or they are not Yellows.

I would hesitate to apply a SD stage to a place in history where that stage generally didn't exist, especially if it's two or more stages removed from the cultural backdrop. The individual is always in a transactional relationship with the environment, so even if they are starting to push the edge, there is always something that keeps them back. A stage also doesn't really have any solid ground to grow on if it's more than 1 above the mainstream of the society, because revolutionary thinking is more or less always grounded in a reaction to the status quo. That is why the stages took such a long time to evolve, because they ultimately require a gradual change on the societal level from one stage to the next.

Edited by Carl-Richard

David Foster Wallace comes to mind when I try and come up with an example of a Yellow literary author, whos novels and essays delve into topics such as the limits of post-modernism, the corrupting influence of consumerism, and substance abuse and addiction. He was also highly influential in the development of post-postmodernism, or the literary and artistic movement known as 'the new sincerity'.

david-foster-wallace-386378.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Edited by DocWatts

6 hours ago, JustinNashville said:

I've read that men like Jesus, Aristotle, Plato and the Buddha are Yellows.

No they weren't.

Modern people would be shocked at how backwards such people were compared today's standards.

The Buddha famously didn't think women should pursue enlightenment.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Sustainable Development Goals

The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) or Global Goals are a collection of 17 interlinked global goals designed to be a "blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all". The SDGs were set in 2015 by the United Nations General Assembly and are intended to be achieved by the year 2030. They are included in a UN Resolution called the 2030 Agenda or what is colloquially known as Agenda 2030.

Though the goals are broad and interdependent, two years later (6 July 2017) the SDGs were made more "actionable" by a UN Resolution adopted by the General Assembly. The resolution identifies specific targets for each goal, along with indicators that are being used to measure progress toward each target. The year by which the target is meant to be achieved is usually between 2020 and 2030. For some of the targets, no end date is given.

To facilitate monitoring, a variety of tools exist to track and visualize progress towards the goals. All intend to make data more available and more easily understood. For example, the online publication SDG-Tracker, launched in June 2018, presents available data across all indicators. The SDGs pay attention to multiple cross-cutting issues, like gender equity, education, and culture cut across all of the SDGs. There were serious impacts and implications of the COVID-19 pandemic on all 17 SDGs in the year 2020.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_Development_Goals
More information: https://sdgs.un.org

List of the goals:

1. No Poverty
  2. Zero Hunger
  3. Good Health and Well-being
  4. Quality Education
  5. Gender Equality
  6. Clean Water and Sanitation
  7. Affordable and Clean Energy
  8. Decent Work and Economic Growth
  9. Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
  10. Reducing Inequality
  11. Sustainable Cities and Communities
  12. Responsible Consumption and Production
  13. Climate Action
  14. Life Below Water
  15. Life On Land
  16. Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions
  17. Partnerships for the Goals

20 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

No they weren't.

Modern people would be shocked at how backwards such people were compared today's standards.

Thanks everyone for the responses. That makes a lot of sense!

On 30/12/2020 at 8:34 PM, Leo Gura said:

This is very common outside the west. Men prevent women from attending religious sites because they don’t want to be distracted by a woman’s beauty and the sexual desire caused by looking at a woman. Classic stage Blue repression.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie