Leo Gura

Spiral Dynamics Stage Yellow Examples Mega-Thread

1,196 posts in this topic

"The Wisdom Pattern" is Brilliant example of stage Yellow thinking by Richard Rohr. He masterfully takes on the Green, Orange and Blue memes - especially the pitfalls of postmodernism - while also presenting a beautiful vision of Yellow religion, society and culture. The way he so poignantly speaks to Green, Orange and Blue in the very same paragraph is truly amazing. 

https://store.cac.org/products/the-wisdom-pattern-order-disorder-reorder

6 hours ago, Apofis_im said:

This is insane! 

This looks really good !

Watching this movie now and it is... weird... good analogy of capitalism 

14 hours ago, Lyubov said:

Watching this movie now and it is... weird... good analogy of capitalism 

About as subtle as an anvil falling from a skyscraper, but an effective analogy nonetheless.

I was thinking about this recently... Are  stage Yellow movies / tv shows (fictional, not documentaries) even a thing at this point of time? Seems really difficult to place my finger on what a stage Yellow piece of entertainment would look like. The handful of examples I can think of might be better placed in high Green with some aspects of Yellow.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

@DocWatts Spiral Dynamics tends to get wonky when you apply it to art, especially with yellow. You can take aspects of it (like the message) and place it there, but even then it's not something you should expect to come across.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

55 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

@DocWatts Spiral Dynamics tends to get wonky when you apply it to art, especially with yellow. You can take aspects of it (like the message) and place it there, but even then it's not something you should expect to come across.

Interesting point. You also would probably get in to questions of Content vs. Structure as well; how fully can you  separate the content of a work from the constraints of its medium? Could also be that systems thinking doesn't lend itself to artistic expression as easily because of its inherent complexities. Food for thought.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

On 9/10/2020 at 6:09 PM, Matt23 said:

Gregory Bateson

He wrote a book called "An Ecology of Mind"... seems to be pretty popular.  Peter Ralston also recommend reading it in one of his book list recommendations.

@Matt23 Hi, where did you find that book list recommendation? Could you share it? I’ve never seen Peter recommending books. Thanks ;) 

2 hours ago, DocWatts said:

Interesting point. You also would probably get in to questions of Content vs. Structure as well; how fully can you  separate the content of a work from the constraints of its medium? Could also be that systems thinking doesn't lend itself to artistic expression as easily because of its inherent complexities. Food for thought.

One of the constraints of the movie format in relation to yellow in particular is that the meta-perspectival nature would probably not translate well into a "message" that you would want to put in a movie, or atleast I can't imagine it catching on in our current culture.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

9 hours ago, DocWatts said:

About as subtle as an anvil falling from a skyscraper, but an effective analogy nonetheless.

I was thinking about this recently... Are  stage Yellow movies / tv shows (fictional, not documentaries) even a thing at this point of time? Seems really difficult to place my finger on what a stage Yellow piece of entertainment would look like. The handful of examples I can think of might be better placed in high Green with some aspects of Yellow.

I finished the movie and would not call it stage yellow. It’s more green. This movie has an interesting first half but the second half flops and the ending is meh.

Right in the beginning of the conversation, Roger Penrose explains to Joe Rogan about Godel's incompleteness theorem. very top notch. For those folks who are in to physics.

To be fair... I'm not 100% sure about this video... but the impression I got from the guest is that he talks from a 2nd tier understanding with regard to that topic.

Edited by Bernardo Carleial

8 hours ago, Bernardo Carleial said:

To be fair... I'm not 100% sure about this video... but the impression I got from the guest is that he talks from a 2nd tier understanding with regard to that topic.

I'd say Tristan Harris is Yellow: pattern recognition, vision logic analysis, individualistic ethicist. May be knocking on the door of Turquoise with the community thing in co-founding Center for Humane Technology. 

On 7/8/2018 at 4:05 PM, LisaA said:

I think this scene from the movie "Donnie Darko" is a good example for stage yellow. What do you think?

A friend of mine, who used to do a lot of consulting using SD (including the official test) once told me that this film is a good example of Yellow.

Edited by Darren_Everitt